SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor of Asian and Asian American Studies;
Director of the Confucius Institute of Chinese Opera
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.A., Fudan University
Office: LS G612
Areas of Study and Interest
Classical Chinese poetry and poetics
Pre-modern Poetry and Poetics
Li Bai and Du Fu
Classical Chinese Literature in Translation
History of Chinese Literature
Reading to Write: A Textbook of Advanced Chinese. Beijing Language and Culture University Press: accepted.
Confucius: Eternal Sage (editor). San Francisco: Long River Press, 2013.
Cultural Chinese: Readings in Art, Literature, and History, co-authored with Hong Zhang. Washington D.C.: Georgetown University Press, 2012.
Confucius’ Analects: An Advanced Reader of Chinese Language and Culture. Washington D.C.: Georgetown University Press, 2010.
Li Bai and Du Fu: An Advanced Reader of Chinese Language and Literature. Boston: Cheng & Tsui, 2007.
Chinese Through Song, co-authored with Hong Zhang and Rober Daly. Binghamton: Global Publications, 2001, SUNY Press 2010.
Zhang Yue nianpu (A Chronological Biography of Zhang Yue). Hong Kong: Chinese University Press, 1984.
Current Professional Activities
- President's Road Map Steering Committee
- Co-chair, Global Engagement, University Roadmap Team.
- Director, Confucius Institute of Chinese Opera, 2009-present.
- Director, Chinese Business Language and Culture at Fudan University Program, 2006-present.
- Director, Binghamton University-Soochow University Exchange Program, 2007-present.
- Steering Committee, Institute for Asian and Asian Diasporas, 2006-present.
- Executive Editor, the Consortium for Bilingual Texts in Chinese History, Literature, Philosophy, and Religion, 2003-present.
University Award for Excellence in International Education, 2013.
State University of New York Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2009.