Associate Professor of Asian and Asian American Studies
Director of the Center for Korean Studies
Ph.D., Linguistics (1995), University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
Areas of Study and Interest
Syntax and Morphology (Passive, Causative and Sluicing)
Language Pedagogy and Teaching Methodology (National Standards, Learning Motivation and Testing)
Structure of Korean
Language, Culture and Society in Korea
East Asian Linguistics
(In press) Korean: A Linguistic Introduction (with John Whitman: Cornell University). Cambridge University Press.
(2010) “Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century, including Arabic, Chinese, Classical Language, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.” National Standards in Foreign Language Education Project. Allen Press Inc. Lawrence, KS.
(2009) “Cleft Constructions in Japanese and Korean.” Chicago Linguistic Society. Volume 44-1:61-77. University of Chicago Press. (with Y. Yanagida and J. Whitman).
(2008) “Silent Structure in wh-in-situ Languages: Sluicing.” Harvard ISOKL (Harvard International Studies Of Korean Linguistics). Volume 12:318-331. Harvard University.
(2008) Inquiries into Korean Linguistics III (393 Pages: ISBN: 978-89-5726-604-5). Co-edited with John Whitman by Hankook Publishing Company. Seoul, Korea.
(2006) Korean Language in Culture and Society (292 Pages, ISBN:0-8248-2694-9). In Ho-min Sohn (eds.). Chapter 20. “Linguistic Structures of Korean”. PP 236-248. University of Hawaii Press.
(2006) “Korean as a World Language” (With I. Chung and M. Peterson).” Journal of American Association of Teachers of Korean. Volume 11:1-16. Brown University.
(2005) Integrated Korean: High Advanced I (288 Pages: ISBN: 0-8248-2569-1). Co-authored with Hyosang Lee and Hye-sook Wang. University of Hawaii Press.
(2005) Integrated Korean: High Advanced II (296 Pages: ISBN: 0-8248-2580-2). Co-authored with Hyosang Lee and Hye-sook Wang. University of Hawaii Press.
(2006) University and Chancellor’s Award for Teaching in Excellence. SUNY.
- (2010-Present) Director, Center for Korean Studies, State University of New York at Binghamton
- (2010-Present) Selection Committee for Critical Language Scholarship Program, United States Department of State
- (2010-Present) AP Korean Committee, Foundation for Korean Language and Culture in the USA, Los Angeles, C
- (2009-Present) Editorial Board, Journal of American Association of Teachers of Korean, AATK (American Association of Teachers of Korean)
- (2009-Present) Chair, Korean Special Interest Group, American Counsel on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- (2009, Summer) Director, Korean Language Summer Institute, Critical Language Scholarship Program, University of Pennsylvania and, Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC), United States Department of States
- (2008-Present) Co-chair, Task Force Committee for National Standards for Learning Korean, American Counsel on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- (2005-2008) Chair, Test Development Committee for SAT II Korean, College Board and ETS (Educational Testing Service), Princeton, New Jersey