Personal Reimbursements, Fellowship & Book Stipends and Meal Plan Reimbursement
In exceptional instances, campus purchasers charge transactions on personal credit cards and seek reimbursement from state funds. While these transactions may be for legitimate state purposes, use of personal credit cards in this manner is strongly discouraged by the Office of the State Comptroller. Note that sales tax and airfare charged on personal credit cards will not be reimbursed.
Currently the University has several mechanisms for state funded procurement that are acceptable choices. They are:
- Purchase Order To Vendor. For purchases less than or equal to $2500, purchasers create requisition and forward to Purchasing Office for purchase orders creation. For purchases exceeding $2500, the Purchasing Department generates the Purchase Order (see Purchasing Procedures).
- New York State Procurement Card. Purchasers use credit cards issued by Citibank Visa under contract with New York State. This card applies to state funded goods and services less than or equal to $2500 (see P-Card). If you are interested in learning more about this option, contact Meghan Dold, X73556.
If a charge is made on a personal credit card and cardholder seeks reimbursement from State, IFR, or DIFR funds, the following is required:
- Complete a NYS Standard Voucher (pdf, 90KB) with the person's name and payee ID number (tax ID if non-employee or "N" number if an employee), with a description of item(s) purchased, appropriate signatures and fund source(s) to charge.
- Original charge receipt
- Copy of credit card statement showing liability
We reserve the right to request a statement from the employee being reimbursed explaining why the state process (Purchase Order To Vendor of New York State Procurement Card) could not be used to purchase the item(s).
Fellowship & Book Stipend Reimbursement Procedure
Complete a NYS Standard Voucher (pdf, 90KB) with the person's name and payee ID number (tax ID if non-employee or "N" number if an employee), with a description of fellowship/book stipend, appropriate signatures and fund source(s) to charge. We need a copy of the award letter explaining the fellowship/book stipend.
Because receipt of goods or services is required prior to payment from state funds, non-state funds should be used for purchasing debit cards or meal plans. Funds from private organizations (i.e., Research Foundation, BU Foundation) or individuals may be used for debit card or meal plan purchase and expenditures reimbursed with state funds after services or goods are received.
For reimbursement for BUC$ card or Meal Plan expenditures the following is required:
- Requisition and purchase order with Sodexo or individual as vendor.
- Receipt(s) and statement of charges.
- Reasoning for reimbursement