Skip header content and main navigation Binghamton University, State University of New York - Accounts Payable

Moving Expense Reimbursement


Reimbursement of moving expenses is not mandatory. It is a procedure established to assist in the recruitment of qualified candidates, and it is not expected that all new appointees will be authorized moving expenses.

The university is authorized to utilize state funding in order to provide a reimbursement for one move only.  Claims for such payment must be made within one year of the effective date of appointment. Original or carbon copies of all bills of lading/receipts showing payment in full are required. Photocopies are not accepted.

The Department of Audit and Control limits reimbursement to certain actual and necessary moving and travel expenses. Generally, these expenses include household goods defined as all reasonable items of furniture, furnishing, clothing, appliances, tools and equipment including necessary expenditures for handling items such as pianos. Not reimbursable items include the:

No reimbursement shall be provided for household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds.

The NYS Office of the State Comptroller's website for current mileage information is:

Moving mileage rates, as of January 1, 2015, are 23 cents/mile.


The Vice President, Dean or appointment department (depending on area) will mail a letter to the faculty/staff person to whom moving expenses reimbursement may be provided. In that letter, they shall indicate the maximum amount of money payable to the individual.

After the new employee has signed the offer letter, the Vice President, Dean or department head will direct the new staff person to the appropriate forms and procedures available below.

Once the necessary paperwork is completed and signed by the faculty or staff member, original receipts should be attached and returned to the Dean’s office (in the case of faculty) or the Vice Presidents’ office (in the case of student affairs, administrative affairs, research or external affairs) for their review and signature. After the appropriate signature, the paperwork is forwarded to the Accounts Payable office (AD512) for processing.

Reimbursement Documentation

The reimbursement is payable from individual department budgets. Submit completed reimbursement documentation to Rose Hassett in Accounts Payable.

Click here for a quick reference guide on moving reimbursements

Request For Reimbursement For Moving Expense Agreement and Instructions

Additional Information

Moving Expenses Eligible For Reimbursement (Campus Management Procedure #223)

Payment of Moving Expenses For New Appointees (SUNY Management Policy)

Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 3/2/15