If you're a current student who wishes to transfer to another school within the University OR obtain a double degree (see double major vs. double degree), you must submit an Intra-University Transfer (IUT)/Double-Degree application (below).
Here is what you need to know and do:
- Each school has specific criteria you must meet and may also have space limitations on the number of students who can be accommodated
- Review these sheets, which provide school-specific information:
- Talk to an academic advisor in the school you wish to transfer to or obtain the second degree from before beginning the application process to be sure your grades and coursework allow you to be considered
- If you've been out of school for 3 consecutive major semesters and want to return to Binghamton, you must first gain readmission to the school in which you were enrolled by completing a re-enrollment application (below.) You may only apply to a new school via the intra-university transfer application (below) the semester after you return.
- Apply by logging into BU BRAIN; the online application is on the Home tab at the bottom titled "Intra-University/Double-Degree Application for Admission"
- Spaces may fill at any time before the semester begins
- Notification of admission decisions is made after the conclusion of the current semester, and is sent via e-mail
- You earn a double major when both majors lead to the same degree name (BA, BS, BFA, MusB, etc.), even if the two majors are from different colleges/schools.
- You earn a double degree when the two majors lead to differently named degrees (BA vs. BS, BS vs. MusB, etc.).
If you'd like to return to the same program of study after missing 3 consecutive major semesters, you must submit a re-enrollment application. If you've missed fewer than 3 consecutive semesters, you don't need to re-enroll and may register online during your assigned registration time.
Here is what you need to know and do to submit a re-enrollment application:
- Review our re-enrollment guidelines (250k)
- If you've been out of school for 3 consecutive major semesters and you want to return to Binghamton, you must first gain readmission to the school in which you were enrolled by completing a re-enrollment application (below.) You may only apply to a new school via the intra-university transfer application (above) the semester after you return.
- Submit the re-enrollment application (161k)
- Notification of admissions decisions is sent via e-mail
Study Abroad and Re-enrollment
If you're studying abroad in a Binghamton University or other SUNY study-abroad program, you don't need to re-enroll, even if you've missed 3 consecutive major semesters. However, if you're participating in a non-SUNY program and won't be enrolled for 3 consecutive major semesters, you must re-enroll.
You're considered a non-degree (also called non-matriculated or continuing education) student if you are approved to take credit courses but are not formally accepted into a degree-granting program at Binghamton. The Binghamton courses appear on a Binghamton transcript. Advising is available through Harpur Academic Advising. Submit your non-degree application online by selecting "All admissions applicants" then "First-time user account creation."
Notification of an admissions decision is sent via e-mail.
The Center for Innovative and Continuing Education also offers non-credit programs designed to meet your professional and personal needs and enhance your skills, knowledge and expertise without taking credit-bearing courses.
High School Students
Binghamton's College Link program allows qualified high school students to take college courses for credit on our campus. Apply now >
Please visit Harpur Academic Advising for further details/requirements.