Undergraduate Admissions

Information for Transfer Applicants

Transfer Appointment

We'd love to meet with you in person! Schedule an appointment with an admissions counselor. Plus, you'll have the option to meet with representatives from other campus offices including financial aid and career services.

Register today


You may want to go right to our application, but we hope you'll take a minute to check out the stuff that everyone should know (like important dates and deadlines, checking your status and applying for federal student aid).

Did you know that more than 3,500 of our undergraduate students are transfers? We are committed to helping you -- before you get to campus, during your transition to Binghamton, all the way to your graduation day.

Transfer of Credit

The most popular question we receive from prospective transfer students and their families is: How will my coursework transfer to Binghamton?

To answer this, we offer some online tools you can use to assess what coursework may transfer:

  1. Articulation agreements and transfer guides: Find your school and then select the major you're interested in. If you don't see your community college or major listed, then explore Binghamton University's Bulletin to see what courses would be required for your major at Binghamton.
  2. Course-to-Course Equivalencies: This online tool will assist you with understanding specific course equivalencies and general education requirements. If you don't see your course listed, that doesn't mean you won't receive credit. We update our list continually.
  3. General education courses (gen eds) are universal across SUNY and campuses. Therefore, if you took gen eds at a SUNY they will count as gen eds at Binghamton.

Admission Criteria

Admission to Binghamton is selective. The following criteria are taken into account:

  • Rigor of coursework, strength of academics and grades with emphasis on most recent courses
  • Completion and strength of academics and grades in pre-requisite coursework (strong grades from previous college coursework are essential to your success in Harpur College, but are a priority for admission to our professional schools).
  • A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is preferred. Please note that requirements vary by school (see below).

Also taken into consideration: Participation and leadership in extracurricular activities, community service and work experience; unique skills or talents; and strength of character in overcoming adverse life circumstances such as personal or financial difficulties.

Requirements by school

International students may have additional requirements.

Upon Acceptance

Once accepted to Binghamton University, you'll receive an e-mail notification instructing you on where and how to view your preliminary transfer coursework evaluation. Then, during transfer student orientation you'll meet with an academic advisor or department faculty member for a final, official credit transfer evaluation.

In accordance with SUNY requirements, Binghamton University has an appeals process for admitted transfer students or current Binghamton students to appeal decisions made on evaluation of transfer credit.

Please contact us if you already hold a bachelor's degree from Binghamton University or another institution as special circumstances may apply.

Housing Choices

  • On-campus : Transfer students may live in one of six residential communities, which include our apartment communities. Each residential community offers a unique living and learning neighborhood and student services.
  • Off-campus: Many transfer students choose to live off campus in moderately priced apartments that are easily accessible by bus service (free to Binghamton University students), a short drive by car, or manageable bike ride (even on some winter days!). Students can begin their housing search online with the assistance and support of our Off Campus College (OCC) office, which offers a comprehensive listing of housing and apartment choices as well as roommate matching services and lease review.

Special Services and Programs for Transfer Students

  • Our Transfer Student Services Office can help you transition to life at Binghamton.
  • Every residential community has transfer student mentors who are familiar with the unique needs of transfer students and are dedicated to assisting every step of the way. Off-campus students are offered mentors, too. Details are explained at transfer student orientation.
  • In 2007 Binghamton founded its chapter of Tau Sigma, the national academic honor society for transfer students. Transfer students are eligible for all university, school and department honors and research opportunities.
  • The University awards several scholarships each fall semester to members of Phi Theta Kappa, an honor society for students at two-year U.S. or international schools. Selection is competitive, and to be considered, an application is required by March 15.
  • Students previously enrolled in a New York state opportunity program (EOP, HEOP, SEEK, College Discovery) may be eligible to transfer into EOP at Binghamton.


Call us at 607–777–2171 or e-mail transfer@binghamton.edu if you've got questions not answered here.

Last Updated: 3/1/17