living on campus

Living on Campus


While living on campus at Binghamton you'll feel like you are at a small college as you enjoy the resources of a nationally acclaimed university.

Our residential communities are where you will make life-long friends. And, you'll be supported in your academic and personal growth by tenured Collegiate Professors, dedicated professional staff and Resident Assistants (RA's).

All students in the BAP Program will reside in residential communities offering break housing, which is campus housing for students arriving earlier than official move-in days and students requiring housing during semester breaks and holidays. Only students officially enrolled in the BAP Program while attending SUNY Broome are eligible to live on campus.

Learn more about living on campus >

All BAP students are expected to live on campus. Exceptions are granted if a resident of Broome, Tioga or southern Chenango County, 21 years of age or married.

All students living on campus must abide by the University Code of Conduct and any applicable Residential Life policies.

Sign ups

Online housing registration begins in April. You will receive an e-mail when it becomes available. To be eligible to sign up for housing, you must:

  • pay your enrollment deposit to SUNY Broome (allow several business days for payment processing);


  • activate your e-mail account at Binghamton University. Note: You will receive specific instructions on how to access and activate your e-mail account via a letter that will be mailed to you. The letter also serves as an official notification of the receipt of your deposit.

Make sure you indicate on the housing application that you require break housing. You will be asked to rank the order of the residential communities. Your preferred order should be among these three communities: College-in-the-Woods, Newing, and Mountainview with the first one on your list being your first choice on down to your last choice (Dickinson and Hinman communities do not have break housing.)

Residential Community assignments will be e-mailed to your Binghamton University e-mail account (BMail) in early August. You will receive your community assignment and roommate contact information in that e-mail. You will receive your room assignment when you check in on move in day.

Move-in Day

Students enrolled in The Binghamton Advantage Program will receive detailed information from Residential Life about an official Move-in Day in August. It will coincide with the start of classes at SUNY Broome.

What to bring -- check out this helpful checklist.

Meal plan

When you register for housing at Binghamton University, you will be assigned a student meal plan that reflects the amount of time we anticipate you will spend dining as a resident of our campus. You will use your Binghamton University Student ID Card to access your meal plan account. Sushi, Kosher, gluten-free, vegan, smoothies, tacos, midnight pizza - we have it all! We start serving breakfast at 7 a.m. and don't finish cooking until you're done eating. 

Students in the Binghamton Advantage Program will be offered an "E" dining plan at Binghamton University. This will allow BAP students to eat in the residential dining halls and at retail dining on campus at Binghamton. 

Due to the nature of course schedules, some students choose to eat additional meals at SUNY Broome. For these students, a 45-meal block of reduced rate meals at SUNY Broome is available for an additional cost of $350 dollars per semester (price subject to change annually). Payment for this meal plan is made at SUNY Broome's Bursar's Office.  Students will then use their SUNY Broome ID card to pay for meals on that campus. 

*A student who purchases both the "E" dining plan at Binghamton and the 45-meal plan block at SUNY Broome will roughly pay the same as a traditional student at Binghamton University who enrolls in our standard "C" dining plan. 

For more information about dining plans at Binghamton, click here:"

Get complete details about Binghamton University Dining services, options and meal plans >

Also, there are BUC$, which can be added to your Binghamton University Student ID Card to pay for meals at many off-campus restaurants in the Binghamton area.


University and county buses are free to Binghamton University students. Binghamton University, in partnership with Broome County Transit, provides Binghamton to SUNY Broome shuttle buses (BC Transit Route #9) daily that run hourly, starting at 7:20 a.m.- 6 p.m.  For complete details about free bus transportation, including route maps and schedules, visit  Broome County Transit. Students can ride Broome County Transit buses at no cost with their student ID.

 Another great way to get around town is through Binghamton's car-sharing service, Zipcar. Drivers 18 years or older can register to rent one of our new vehicles by the hour or by the day.

 Any questions about university transportation can be directed to David Husch, Director of Transportation at Binghamton University. 

Campus parking

We realize that transportation is essential to your academic and residential life at Binghamton University and SUNY Broome. While traditional freshmen living in residential halls at Binghamton are not permitted to register and park cars on campus, Binghamton Advantage Program students can have a car on campus by paying a parking fee. SUNY Broome also requires a parking fee of $50 to park on their campus (subject to change). You will receive more detailed information about parking regulations, costs and how to obtain permits before classes start. Please note that starting in Fall 2016, BAP students are required to use two designated parking lots  -  ZZ North and ZZ South. The green university shuttle buses can bring students to and from that lot.

Additional Parking Information can be found at:  Binghamton University Parking Services >

Computer labs

While living on campus at Binghamton, you will have access to computer labs, commonly referred to as PODS. During breaks from classes or when you are on campus at SUNY Broome, you will have access to computer labs located throughout that campus too. The campus computer usage includes a print quota each semester.

Go wireless

Binghamton University provides wired and wireless Internet access to students, faculty, and staff. Visitors to Binghamton University can connect to the open wireless network CONNECT2BU, while students use the wireless network BUSECURE to gain an appropriate level of access to Binghamton University resources. Students connecting to BUSECURE for the first time will have to configure their wireless devices for the WPA2 environment and authenticate using their Binghamton University Computer Account (PODS) user ID and password. Detailed instructions for various operating systems and devices are available on the Information Technology Services web page.

When you are at SUNY Broome, you will have access to the "internet only" network that allows you to connect via your personal portable devices.

Safety is our priority

Residence hall safety

  • All residence hall doors are locked on a 24-hour basis, requiring key-card access.
  • From midnight until 5 a.m., all gates except the main entrance to campus are closed to vehicular traffic. Vehicles admitted to campus during this time must display a current University parking decal or the occupants of the vehicle must be hosted by a member of the University community.

University Police

  • A fully empowered state law enforcement agency.
  • For emergencies, call 911 or 607-777-2222.
  • Color it blue − In case of an emergency, just look for the blue lights throughout campus. These highly-visible phones will put you in touch with the University Police immediately.
  • Let us escort you − Volunteer escort service is available throughout the early morning hours from anywhere on campus. All you do is call 607-770-2393 to arrange for an escort to meet you.
  • For more information, visit the University Police website.

Emergency Management

Last Updated: 3/2/17