Skip header content and main navigation Binghamton University, State University of New York - Admissions
New Students banner
Image Before Classes Start
Must Dos

Must Knows

Buzz News


Student Blog


Binghamton University Computer Account

Your Binghamton University Computer Account is used to access all online resources on campus: BU BRAIN, housing request form, Blackboard, public computers on campus, Internet connection, etc. You access your computer account by logging in with your User ID and password.

Know Your B-Number

The B-Number is the primary identification number for students. Your B-Number was sent to you upon receipt of your admissions application to Binghamton. Forgot your B-Number? Log into BU BRAIN, select the "Home" tab and click on "What's My B-Number?". 

E-mail Account

If you haven't already done so, activate your Binghamton University e-mail (BMail) account today. Complete details were contained in a letter you received upon us receiving your enrollment deposit.

Your BMail is where we send all official university information, including orientation and housing details, required health forms, semester bill, financial aid and more!  

IMPORTANT note to students in mainland China: If you have problems accessing BMail at, go to

 On-campus housing

  • You will need to first activate your email account before you can sign up for housing
  • Online housing registration begin Dec. 1, 2011 at 10 a.m.  
  • Residential Community assignments will emailed in January.
  • Microwave/refrigerator rentals are available for pre-order. If you order at least 10 days prior to arrival on campus, it will be delivered to your room before you move in. To order, call 1-800-525-7307.

Transfer students

Transfer students planning to live off campus should visit the Off Campus College office (OCC) for assistance with finding an apartment, and even a roommate. The office is dedicated to helping you make a smooth transition to living in the Binghamton area, including lease review, good neighbor and safety tips, tenant's rights and more:

International Student Services

Visit the Office of International Students and Scholars Services for information about:

  • Travel and Visa Information
  • Express Mail Service
  • English as a Second Language (ESL)
  • Housing
  • International Student Organizations
  • Friendship Family Program
  • News for New Students
  • Billing  

Transfer Students: Final Transcripts Required

  • Request that an official transcript from every college or educational institution you've attended since high school be mailed to the Admissions Office: Binghamton University, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, PO Box 6001, Binghamton, NY 13902-6001. Note: Faxed copies are not considered official and will not be accepted.
  • For course to course equivalency information, transfer guides and the University Bulletin, visit:
  • It's very important Binghamton receives your final transcripts, because if we don't it will prevent you from registering for future semester courses.

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit --Send Scores

  • AP credit -- Please bring your student copy of your AP scores with you to Orientation. To receive proper credit for any AP courses taken, contact the College Board (888-225-5427) to confirm your scores will be sent electronically to the Admissions Office. Test scores of 3, 4 or 5 may receive credit based on the policy established by the State University of New York. Click here for more about Binghamton's AP credit guidelines
  • IB credit -- Credit is awarded only for Higher Level IB exams, with scores of 4 or 5 receiving 4 credits, and scores of 6 or 7 receiving 8 credits. IB scores are submitted to Binghamton University through the International Baccalaureate website. Find out more about IB credit guidelines.

Required Health Forms

All forms must be completed and submitted prior to Orientation in order to be able to register for spring semester courses. You must access them online and print them. We will not mail any forms to you.

You can access all required forms and detailed information about completing the three forms online here.

 Complete and submit your forms as soon as possible via:

  • fax: 607-777-2881
  • mail: Binghamton University, Decker Student Health Services Center, PO Box 6000, Binghamton, NY 13902-6000; or
  • e-mail (PDF attachments only): Again, all required forms must be received by the Decker Student Health Services Center BEFORE Orientation or you will not be allowed to register for your fall courses. Questions? Visit the Decker Student Health Services Center online or call 607-777-2221.

Health Insurance Requirement: Accept or Waive

All undergraduate students (domestic and international) are required to have health insurance.

All domestic undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan (University health insurance) unless you waive this plan by returning a signed Health Insurance Waiver to Student Accounts by mail or in person by the sixth week of classes.

Click here to find out more about waiving the health insurance and why you need health insurance. Questions? Visit the Decker Student Health Services Center online, or call 607-777-2221.

Orientation: Register

Orientation for spring 2012 students is Wednesday, Jan. 25, and Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012. It's very important to attend, because it's a great way to start feeling at home on campus. Register online beginning December 1, at

At Orientation you will:

* Register for courses
* Obtain academic and pre-professional advising with faculty, staff and students
* Meet in small-groups with student Orientation Advisors
* Attend social events to meet other new and current students
* Learn about student services on campus, including health services and campus safety
* Get familiar with the campus - Union, residential communities, dining halls and more!

Find out what you need to do to prepare for Orientation >>

Review/Verify Your Contact Information

  • Log into BU Brain Self Service, "Information" tab
  • Verify your contact information (address and emergency contacts)
  • Make sure we have your Social Security Number on file (required for tax and financial aid information)

Emergency Alert Contact Information (NY-Alert/RAVE) 

Financial Aid

Accept/decline aid to assure your account is properly credited. 

Students with Disabilities

Students who require disability-related services or accommodations MUST contact Services for Students with Disabilities as soon as possible so we can make any necessary arrangements.

School of Management Students: Laptop Requirement

  • All SOM students (freshmen and transfers) must have a laptop computer with Microsoft Office. We also recommend that the laptop include Intel core two duo chip (or the equivalent) with a minimum of 2GB memory.
  • If you choose to use an Apple brand computer, there may be additional software expenses for the installation of Microsoft Office.
  • Discount prices on software are available at

Binghamton University Dining

When you register for housing, you will be assigned the "standard" meal plan. Sushi, Kosher, gluten-free, vegan, smoothies, tacos, midnight pizza - we have it all! We start serving breakfast at 7:30 a.m. and don't finish cooking until you're done eating. You can even order late night delivery service until 1 a.m.! Here's more information on BU Dining and meal plans.

Looking for the ultimate in healthy eating? Check out the "Balanced Way Plate" available in all the dining halls every day at lunch and dinner. It's comprised of 50 percent vegetables and fruit, 25 percent lean protein and 25 percent starch. For more information email our on-campus Registered Dietitian Alexa Schmidt at


Transfers and local students: Learn more about on-campus parking regulations, including how to purchase a parking permit, here.

Freshmen living in university residence halls are not permitted to register or park a vehicle on campus.

Confirmation of Enrollment

You must confirm your enrollment every fall, spring and summer semester

  • The first week of classes you will be required to confirm your enrollment via You will receive an email from the Registrar's Office reminding you to confirm your enrollment.
  • Upon successful log in to BU Brain, you will be prompted to complete the requirement.
  • Confirmation of enrollment is a combination of federal, state and University requirements.
  • If confirmation of enrollment is not completed, a student's semester schedule of courses is automatically cancelled the FIFTH day of classes, freeing up class seats for students looking to add a course. Cancellation will occur whether or not a student's semester bill is paid.
  • Financial aid recipients must confirm enrollment to receive a refund (if applicable) and/or to have funds not only credited but applied to pay student account balance.
  • You only need to confirm once a semester, even if you add or drop courses.

Pay Your Bill

Your spring 2012 bill notification with housing and dining plan charges (if applicable) will be sent to your BMail. A bill with tuition and fees charges will be sent after you register for courses.

Only you will have access to your bill unless you make someone an "authorized payer." So, if you'd like your parent(s) or guardian(s) to be able to pay your bill, make sure you designate them as an "authorized payer." Click here for step-by-step instructions.

Sign up for Direct Deposit for Refunds (students only, no parent(s) and/or guardian(s)

Refund checks are printed ONLY once a week. Signing up for direct deposit allows you to have refunds automatically deposited into your bank account and get your money faster! Here's how to sign up:

STEP 1: Log into BU Brain.

STEP 2: Click on "Student" tab.

STEP 3: Click on "Student Accounts" tab.

STEP 4: Click on "Student Accounts EFT Authorization (Direct Deposit)".

STEP 5: Enter your Bank Routing Number and Account Number.

Obtain Enrollment Verification/Proof of Enrollment (if needed)

  • An insurance company, scholarship program, loan company or other third party may require a student and/or family to show proof of enrollment (also called enrollment verification).
  • Binghamton's official enrollment verification is offered through the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) one week prior to the start of each semester.
  • To access NSC, log in via
  • Complete details and how-to steps can be found here.

First Week of Classes: Be Prepared

Print our first week of classes checklist (PDF) to reference for your final Must Dos. Be successful right from the start!

Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 9/28/12