Educational Opportunity Program:
Eligibility, application and requirements
Freshman application process for fall 2014
In order to be admitted to Binghamton through the Educational Opportunity Program, you must meet both academic AND economic criteria.
To start the review process, submit the SUNY Application online.
IMPORTANT: All EOP applications are reviewed in two steps. Do not complete Step 2 until requested by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
STEP 1: Submit your high school transcript and test scores (SAT or ACT) via SOAR.
- To get started on your student record online via SOAR, obtain a copy of your unofficial high school transcript from your school counselor and go here. Note: If you enroll at Binghamton, you will be required to have your official test scores and your final, official high school transcript sent.
After your academic record (high school transcript and test scores) are reviewed, we will make an academic determination and send you one of the following notifications:
- Based on your academic record, you are eligible to apply for EOP. Please submit the required economic documentation (detailed in Step 2 below). Your acceptance is not guaranteed.
- Your academics are too strong to be considered for EOP. You will be automatically switched into the regular applicant pool for further review. Your acceptance is NOT guaranteed.
- Your application is denied due to your academic record and will not be reconsidered for regular admission.
STEP 2: Submit the REQUIRED items for economic review. (Note: Submit only after you receive a communication from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions requesting this information.)
Once all economic items are received, your application will be reviewed and additional documentation may be requested, including the forms in the right-hand column of this page. These forms should only be submitted when requested. Your application may go from complete to incomplete several times; therefore, it is important to continue to check the status of your application on the online status checker.
*Due to the nature of EOP application review, final decisions after the economic review will not be sent until March. Initial review of academics will be sent on a rolling basis.
Transfer application process for spring and fall 2014
STEP 1: Submit the SUNY Application online
STEP 2: Submit the EOP Verification Form
- If your current college or university offers an opportunity program (i.e., College Discovery, EOP, HEOP or SEEK) you must have been admitted through that program in order to be eligible as an EOP transfer student at Binghamton University.
- If you currently attend a SUNY community college that does not offer EOP, you may still be eligible.
- Submit the EOP Verification Form.
- Once the verification form is received you will be asked to submit financial documentation for review.
To be eligible to participate in EOP, you must:
•Belong to a household that meets New York state income guidelines.
•Meet Binghamton University's assets guidelines
•Possess a high school diploma or a General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
•Be a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States and a New York state resident one (1) year prior to enrollment
•Have parent(s) and/or guardian(s) who are permanent residents of the United States and a New York state resident one (1) year prior to enrollment
Note to transfers: Students attending a SUNY community college that does NOT offer EOP may still be eligible. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Binghamton EOP Success
As a public university, we are committed to providing opportunity to talented students regardless of their background. Working through the New York state Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), Binghamton University provides special support services for in-state students from educationally and economically disadvantaged circumstances.
The program includes financial assistance, tutoring and counseling, special coursework and other services on campus. Binghamton's EOP has an outstanding track record helping students reach their potential. Recent EOP seniors have been accepted for graduate and professional study by Harvard, Vanderbilt, New York University, Fordham, Boston University and others.
View our brochure.