WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
The Bridges Program is open to students from underrepresented groups who are United States citizens or permanent residents. Individuals from underrepresented groups include:
- Individuals from racial and ethnic groups that have been shown by the National Science Foundation to be underrepresented in health-related sciences on a national basis. The following racial groups have been shown to be underrepresented in biomedical research: American Indians or Alaska Natives, Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders (see descriptions below).
- Individuals with disabilities, who are defined as those with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
- Individuals who come from a family with annual income below established low-income thresholds. (see http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf)
*To qualify for the Bridges Program, an individual only has to be from one of these three groups.
Ethnic Background Descriptions:
African American. A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American."
Hispanic. A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. The term "Spanish origin" can be used in addition to "Hispanic or Latino."
American Indian or Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian Subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
HOW DO I APPLY?
All application packages must contain the following:
- Completed Bridges application form
- Personal statement explaining your educational and career goals, approximately 350 words (1-2 pages double spaced).
- Transcripts from all colleges attended
- Two recommendations from faculty who are qualified to evaluate your academic background.
- Copy of green card, if permanent resident.