What is the difference between my budget allocation and my commitments in the Budbooks?

Your budget allocations are the funds you are allocated for the year. Your commitments are the estimated expenditures that you will incur during that year.

Where should I go to check the status of my budget?

As of July 1st, 2013, you can now view your accounts in the new SUNY Business Intelligence System. (To view prior year financial history, Oracle will continue to be used for inquiry purposes only).

Using BI, you have the ability to view all funds, or by State (Revenue Offset fund), IFR (General IFR), SUTRA, and DIFR (Dormitory Operations). Once in BI, under Dashboards, select Account Summary.  In Account Summary, you can select one account to view, or you can view by Organization level (Reporting Level 2).  There are several Reporting Levels to choose from, depending on the reporting level you require. Click here for additional information and instructions on using BI.

The first column of the report will show your Budget Allocation amount, the next column will show any Pending Allocation amounts to be posted to that account,   Year to Date Expenditures will be reflected in the Expenditure Total Column. The Pending Encumbrance Column under Personal Service Regular will show the amount that is encumbered for the remaining pay periods in the current fiscal year. Other than Personal Service Encumbrances (OTPS) will also be reflected in this column. Your Account Balance will be the Available Balance Column of the report. If you have questions concerning your budget allocations, or PSR expenses and encumbrances, please contact Erin Neske at (607) 777-4140 or Jeanne Ball at (607) 777-3574.

Back to top

What purpose do the Budbooks serve?

The Budbooks serve as a tool that you can use to view the overall PSR picture for the year. Budget allocations are shown by State Account and broken down by PSR Instructional Faculty,  PSR Non-Instructional (MC, Professional, Classified) and Other S& W ( Also Receives, and Chair Stipends) In the budget allocation section you will also be able to view any adjustments made to your allocation. For example, you would see the amounts that were added to your budget for specific contractual raises given to employees during that year. Just below the allocation section there is a list of your committed expenditures for the year. This is an estimate only. It may not match the actual expenditures in SUNY exactly. The Budbooks do not take into account such things as vacation buy-outs the employee may have been paid in that period. Each line number is listed and the name of the employee occupying that line, their committed annual salary and an estimate of the expense you may incur for the year. Information on the history of that line can also be viewed in the comments section.

Can I transfer funds between State and other fund sources?

No, you will not be able to transfer Budget Allocation funds between State and other fund sources.

Can I transfer allocation between Organizations?

Yes, you can transfer funds between Organizations, however, the Organization where the funds are coming from must be the Org that submits the transfer. The form is available on our web site under “Forms”. If you have questions you can contact Erin Neske at 7-4140 or Jeanne Ball at 7-3574.

If I want to change the account an employee's labor is charged, do I need to notify HR?

You must submit a Position Request to change funding. Once approved, Human Resources will be entering the account in SUNY where the labor will be charged.  The information they use will come from the approved funding on the Position Request.

Back to top

Who do I contact if I need to transfer expenditures?

To transfer expenditure amounts you will need to contact Scott Hatch in the Business Office at 7-2099.

How often should I check my Budget?

We suggest that you monitor your budget on a monthly basis. Monitoring your budget closely will allow you to see if you are overspending or if there is an error that needs to be corrected. For example, if a person is being charged to an incorrect organization and as a result you have overspent your budgeted dollars, it may be necessary to make corrections or move funds. If you are checking your budget frequently these corrections can be done in a timely manner.

Where do I go to get the proper form to transfer my budget allocation, and whom should I send this completed form to?

Go to “Forms” on the Budget welcome page for the Budget Allocation Transfer form. The completed form should be
e-mailed to eneske@binghamton.edu or jball@binghamton.edu.

Back to top

Last Updated: 9/29/16