Undergraduate Admission

Students wishing to take courses for credit or pursue degree programs in Harpur College of Arts and Sciences, the Decker School of Nursing, the School of Management, the School of Education and Human Development, or the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science must be admitted to the specific school (or readmitted if appropriate) before registering for courses. Forms and information are available in the Undergraduate Admissions Office. Information concerning noncredit courses is available from the Admissions Office, the School of Education and Human Development, and the Division of Continuing Education and Summer Programs. In addition to program information in this Bulletin, brochures for a variety of academic programs are available from the Admissions Office and the departments and schools. Before the start of each academic term, the Registrar's Office publishes the schedule of course offerings.

Freshman Admission (matriculated for a degree)

Freshmen are defined as students who have attempted no college course work, or whose only college courses were pursued before high school graduation. All of Binghamton's undergraduate schools accept freshman applicants, although the School of Education and Human Development requires at least one year between high school departure and enrollment. Applicants may file either a Binghamton application available from our Admissions Office or the State University of New York application available in all high school guidance offices in New York State. Applications should be mailed to the Application Processing Center in Albany, which then sends a copy of the processed application including high school transcript to the Binghamton Admissions Office. After receiving the processed application, Binghamton sends a Supplementary Admission Form to each student to enable applicants to provide additional information about themselves. Results of the Scholastic Assessment Test or American College Testing Program must be sent directly by the testing agency to the Admissions Office. SAT II (formerly Achievement) tests are

not required, but results are examined if submitted. Applicants must be graduates of an accredited secondary school or offer evidence of equivalent education. Freshman candidates should normally show completion of the following distribution of high school courses (please note exceptions):

Note: Students entering Harpur College of Arts and Sciences who do not meet the language requirement must fulfill the graduation require ment in foreign language as specified in the Harpur College academic policies in this Bulletin. Students must also make up any deficiencies in the mathematics admission requirement prior to graduation from Harpur College.

In addition to the high school transcript, freshmen who have taken courses for college credit should have a record of that work sent by the college or testing agency directly to the Admissions Office.

After admission for the fall term has been offered, a $50 tuition deposit must be paid by May 1, or 20 days after admission, whichever is later. Students applying for campus housing must pay an additional $125 room deposit, plus a $75 damage deposit, by May 1 or 20 days after admission, whichever is later. The tuition and room deposits may be refunded if requested before May 1 or 20 days after admission, whichever is later. Students who do not enroll may receive a refund of the damage deposit upon written request. Students admitted to the spring term are given 20 days to pay each deposit or until the start of the term if less than 20 days.

All enrolling students must complete, with the aid of a health official, a health history and a physical examination report prior to registration. The University sends these forms to each student who has paid an admission deposit. Only in the most unusual circumstances is it legally permissible for the University to rescind an offer of admission for health reasons. In those infrequent cases where health or disability seems to pose a challenge to academic success, the admitted student is invited to campus to consult the appropriate health and/or Student Affairs officials to discuss problems the student may encounter in pursuing the desired academic program. In such cases, the final decision to enroll or not is the student's. Students unable to submit health forms because of religious affiliation should consult the University Health Service for alternatives.

How Freshman Admission Decisions Are Made

Specific enrollment goals are set for each undergraduate school. Supply and demand (available spaces in relation to the number of applications) as well as admission policy play a role in who is admitted. Admission is very selective. Freshmen are admitted to all programs in Harpur College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Management, the Decker School of Nursing, and the School of Education and Human Development (SEHD), and to the engineering and computer science programs in the Watson School. However, freshman applicants to SEHD must have graduated or withdrawn from high school at least one year prior to enrolling in the school. Confer with an admission counselor for details. Admission decisions are announced on a rolling basis, with the first letters for fall mailed on or about January 15; and for spring, sometime in November.

Applicants to the University are admitted on the total strength of their applications. While academic criteria such as grades, class rank, quality and level of courses, test scores, and trend of grades are primary, involvement in leadership and school and community activities, and how effectively an applicant communicates strengths and interests are also important (and sometimes crucial) elements in an admission decision. Generally, students applying with a class rank below the top tenth or equivalent grade-point average (GPA) may expect greater emphasis to be placed on achievements outside the classroom. There is no automatic cutoff in the admission process, either in GPA, rank, or test scores.

The Admissions Committee seeks to enroll the strongest and most diverse class possible. Candidates are urged to make full use of the Supplementary Admission Form, sent after the initial application reaches Binghamton University. The Admissions Committee is sensitive to all types of achievement and welcomes information about the candidate's values, aspirations, and personal challenges. Students who meet both academic and financial criteria may be admitted to the Educational Opportunity Program, and students living locally are afforded a degree of flexibility in the admission process. Students should inquire of guidance counselors or members of the Admis sions Office staff for details. Candidates with special skills in music, theater, or dance may request a review of their skills by faculty members by checking the appropriate box on the Supplementary Admission Form. Students with athletic, artistic, or other skills may include supporting information with that form.

Early Decision

Binghamton's Early Decision Plan is designed for truly outstanding secondary school seniors who have carefully considered their college opportuni ties and have concluded that Binghamton University is a clear first choice. Binghamton values the enthusiasm of those who are committed to enrolling in the University.

Candidates who wish an early decision should file, no later than November 1, an application for admission to Binghamton through the Application Processing Center, being sure to check the box for early decision. All supplemental materials, including transcript(s), test scores, Binghamton's Supplementary Admission Form, and a guidance counselor's letter of recommen dation, should be received in Binghamton by December 1. If an application is complete by December 1, the Admissions Office will notify candidates of a decision by December 31 to offer admission or to defer the final decision until March.

Candidates applying to the University under the Early Decision Plan must sign a statement that they will withdraw any application for admission to other colleges and will file no additional applications if they are accepted to Binghamton and decide to enroll. A guidance counselor must also acknowledge the candidate's commitment by signing the appropriate form.

If offered admission, Early Decision candidates must send a deposit of $250 to reserve a place in the class. Candidates not offered admission will have their applications reconsid ered with those of other candidates during the winter meetings of the Admissions Committee. Notifications of final decisions are normally mailed to these candidates no later than April 1.

Early Decision candidates who wish to be considered for financial aid should file the CSS Profile form available from the College Scholarship Service, Princeton, NJ and from most high school guidance offices. A tentative financial award will be announced shortly after notifica tion of acceptance. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must also be filed, as well as the TAP application (for New York residents), by the annual deadline, typically March 1.

Early Admission

Applicants who have completed the junior year in high school but have not graduated may be considered for admission. Approval of such early admission is contingent on the student's meeting the normal entrance requirements (course units) and admission criteria. Early applicants should submit the regular application form. Please note that persons who have not graduated from high school may be ineligible for some forms of financial aid.

Advanced Placement

Academic credit, advanced placement, or both may be awarded for college-level work com pleted in secondary school or in college prior to matriculation at Binghamton University. Consideration is based on evaluation of an official transcript, the Advanced Placement (AP) tests of the College Board, the subject-area exams of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) given by some Binghamton academic depart ments, and any other exams indicated under the academic sections of each undergraduate division of the University. Advanced Placement exams with a grade of 3 or better are approved for some credit, with the amount and applicability determined by the appropriate academic unit. The same is also true for mean scores earned on subject exams of CLEP. Specific AP course equivalencies can be found in the front of the Orientation Academic Handbook, a document available at summer orientation and through the Academic Advising Office.

Harpur College of Arts and Sciences allows students to count up to 32 credits of external examination credit toward the degree. External examination credit includes those credits earned through CLEP, RCEP (Regents' College Exams Program), AP, or IB (International Baccalaureate, higher level) with scores of 4 or above, through USAFI/DANTES (United States Armed Forces Institute/Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Services), or through examination from other institutions or correspondence.

Internal Transfer

Students enroll in a specific undergraduate school at Binghamton University. If internal transfer to a different school is sought, a formal application for intra-university transfer must be obtained from the Undergraduate Admissions Office and submitted by the deadline. Spaces for

transfer to some programs are limited and competition is keen. Students should apply well before the beginning of the semester in which enrollment is desired.


See General Admission Policies listed elsewhere in this Bulletin.

Deferred Admission

Students who wish to defer their enrollment for one or two semesters, after having been admitted and having paid their tuition deposit, should contact the Admissions Office. Deferments are not automatically given but, dependent on the admission competition and general demand for deferrals, may be granted for some of the undergraduate schools.

International Student Admission

Applicants who are citizens of other countries, whether they are enrolled in a school in the United States or abroad, should request special international student admission forms from the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

International applicants are required to meet the academic standards for admission, show proficiency in English on the college level, and submit documentation of sufficient funds to cover all educational and living expenses for the duration of study. Due to delays in the exchange of some foreign currencies, students from certain countries may be required to prepay one year's academic and personal living expenses to ensure that adequate funds will be available for their study.

With the exception of students placed through special educational exchange agreements and those enrolling for the summer term only, all international students are required to be matriculated in a degree program.

To certify English proficiency, international applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Information about the examination may be obtained by writing:

TOEFL/TSE Publications
PO Box 6154
Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6154

Generally, a minimum TOEFL score of 550 is required for admission.

Students are required to provide their own funds for tuition, fees, room, board, insurance, and personal expenses. Currently, this figure is estimated to be approximately $19,000 for one calendar year and can be expected to increase by at least 10 percent each year. The University cannot provide financial assistance to international undergraduate students. Nor can study be financed through employment: the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service rarely grants permission to work off campus, and on -campus employment opportunities are limited.

Applicants who meet the above requirements are issued a letter of admission and, subse quently, the appropriate Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a student or exchange visitor visa.

Details regarding admission policies and procedures for international students are sent to all prospective applicants.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

Under the state-supported Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), Binghamton provides an avenue for low-income students from historically underrepresented backgrounds to pursue a bachelor's degree. Students with unrealized potential and talent are provided with financial assistance, tutoring and counseling, the chance to take advantage of credit-bearing developmen tal courses where needed, and other services required to provide a transition into any one of the degree programs offered by the University. Continued enrollment in EOP is contingent on meeting program expectations and use of these services.

The Educational Opportunity Program comprises a diverse group of students from different kinds of backgrounds and areas within New York State. The program has produced many notable success stories, and students who enter the program may look forward to excellent opportunities, from the challenge and excitement offered in the pre-freshman summer enrichment program, to graduation. Students who believe they may qualify for this program should fill out the basic application. They are also required to complete Binghamton's Supplementary Admis sion Form and may be required to have a personal interview.

Transfer Admission (matriculated for a degree)

Transfer students are those who have attempted college courses following high school gradu ation. Transfer students should submit an application to the Application Processing Center in Albany. However, all transcripts should be sent directly to the Admissions Office in Binghamton. The same high school requirements apply to transfer students, but admission decisions are usually made on the basis of college work, pending the receipt of high school transcripts. Students admitted because of strong college work need not be concerned that a weaker high school record will adversely affect a decision already made.

It is essential that a high school transcript, or equivalent, be received well before enrollment, so that a complete transfer credit evaluation can be made promptly. The sooner the high school record is received, the sooner the final evaluation can be made. Please note: students applying for transfer admission during their first year of college must submit an official copy of their high school transcript and test scores to complete their application. For some students, admission decisions may be delayed until grades from two consecutive college semesters are available; in such cases, students are notified of this require ment.

Transfer admission for the Watson School is selective, but the school welcomes engineering and computer science transfers. Please see the appropriate academic section of this Bulletin for additional information.

Transfer admission to the School of Education and Human Development is selective. Candidates generally need an average of 2.5 or better to gain admission. Candidates are required to complete the Supplementary Admission Form to help the SEHD Admissions Committee gain a better understanding of the students' educational goals and objectives.

Transfer spaces for the School of Management are limited. Admission is granted primarily on the basis of academic proficiency in appropriate courses; candidates generally need about a B average for admission. Completion of the Supplementary Admission Form is strongly encouraged.

Harpur College usually provides a substantial number of transfer spaces and, while admission is selective, students with about a B average are encouraged to apply.

Transfer admission to the Decker School of Nursing is competitive. Applicants with a strong background in either liberal arts or nursing (registered nurses) should apply. Most students will complete nursing requirements in a minimum of two years. Some registered nurse students and graduates with baccalaureate or higher degrees may be eligible for accelerated programs. Please see the Program Options section under Decker School of Nursing in this Bulletin.

Articulation Agreements

Articulation agreements between Binghamton University and community colleges throughout the state have been established to facilitate the transfer of students from those colleges into the various programs and schools of the University. Agreements exist with Adirondack Community College, Berkshire Community College, Broome Community College, Columbia-Greene Community College, Cornell Air Force ROTC, Corning Community College, Dutchess Commu nity College, Erie Community College, Community College of the Finger Lakes, Fulton-Montgomery Community College, Jefferson Community College, Keystone Junior Community College, Middlesex Community College, Nassau Community College, Schenectady County Community College, Suffolk Community College, Sullivan County Community College, and Tompkins-Cortland Community College. Articulation agreements also exist with Bryant and Stratton Business Institute of Syracuse, Cazenovia College, Kolej Damansara College, Miami-Dade Community College, SUNY College of Optometry and SUNY Health Science Center. Students who meet the criteria specified in the agreements and whose applications are completed early are generally admitted and encouraged to enroll.

Transfer Credit

The awarding of transfer credit (including credit from cross-registration and articulation agreements and overseas study) is determined by each undergraduate school. Evaluations are completed by the Academic Advising Office in consultation with the deans of each school and, in respect to General Education, with the vice provost for undergraduate studies. While final authority on credit acceptance lies with the deans or the vice provost for undergraduate studies, questions regarding transfer credit decisions can be discussed with the Academic Advising staff in your school.

Harpur College of Arts and Sciences

Credit is usually granted for liberal arts courses completed at other institutions. In addition, up to 32 elective credits may be granted for the study of theoretically oriented courses of a non-liberal- arts nature. Academic credit may be granted only if a grade of pass or a C- or better was earned in the course.

Decker School of Nursing

The Decker School of Nursing admits transfer students with advanced standing to the sopho more or junior level of the undergraduate program. Transfer applicants include students with liberal arts and science course work from a two-year or four-year institution, students with baccalaureate or higher degrees in other fields, and registered nurse students from associate -degree programs and hospital diploma schools.

Admission is competitive and based upon:

  1. Evidence of a minimum of one semester of full-time college study, including science and other courses prerequisite to the nursing major.
  2. Review of high school transcript if there has been no prerequisite science course.
  3. Competitive cumulative GPA of 2.7 or above.
Other considerations include:
Student's personal statement
Extracurricular activities
Quality of previous college or university
Trend of semester grades
Demonstrated evidence of talent in athletics, performing arts, fine arts, leadership, or other areas
Letters of recommendation
Assessed potential for success

A maximum of 64 liberal arts and science course credits may be transferred from a community college. A minimum of 128 credits is needed to meet the program requirements. Credit for liberal arts and science course work, including courses prerequisite to the nursing major, may be transferred for courses where a grade of C- or better has been earned. Credit for courses where the student has received a grade of D can not be transferred. Credit for upper-division nursing course work taken in another baccalaureate nursing program will also be evaluated on an individual basis. Please see "Transfer Student Admission" in the Decker School of Nursing section or contact the Decker School for more information.

Registered Nurse Students

Liberal arts courses, including all courses prerequisite to upper-division nursing courses and taken at other colleges and universities, may be accepted in transfer. Graduates of community college nursing programs in New York state may transfer up to 24 credits of nursing coursework. Twenty credits may be used to fulfill nursing major requirements and four credits will count toward the degree as general elective credits. An additional 60 liberal arts credits from the community college setting are transferrable, bringing the maximum number of transfer credits accepted to 84 credits. There is no limit on the number of liberal arts transfer credits from four-year colleges and universities. Residency requirements of the University of at least 7 1/2 courses (30 credits) will be met by taking the 32 credits of required coursework in the nursing major. The 30 credits in residence must be the last courses taken toward the degree, unless students petition the Education Policies Commit tee and obtain, in advance, an exception to this rule.

The Decker School may require comprehensive examinations, such as selected Nursing Regents College Examinations or National League for Nursing Mobility Examinations for registered nurse students for whom coursework was taken more than 10 years ago. Registered nurse students may choose to present evidence of professional experience, continuing education in nursing, specialty certification, etc., to extend the timeframe for direct transfer of nursing and required prerequisite courses.

Graduates of hospital diploma programs and those RNs from out-of-state associate degree in nursing programs that are not NLN accredited may be granted up to 24 college credits for nursing coursework with an acceptable level of achievement on selected Regents College Examinations in nursing or the NLN Mobility Examinations. Diploma graduates who obtain 24 credits via the above process may transfer up to 60 liberal arts credits from community colleges. An unlimited number of credits may be transferred from other four-year colleges and universities. Residency requirements are as described earlier in this section.

A complete program plan for the Registered Nurse student is developed in consultation with the faculty advisor to meet individual needs.

Applicants with Baccalaureate Degrees in Other Fields

Applicants with a baccalaureate or higher degree in another field wishing to earn the bachelor of science degree in nursing are required to complete the prerequisite courses listed in the Decker School of Nursing section and required nursing coursework. Applicants may be eligible for admission to the accelerated baccalaureate track. Please see "Program Options" in the Decker School of Nursing section or contact the Decker School for more information.

School of Education and Human Development

The School of Education and Human Development considers for possible transfer credit all courses taken at any unit of the State University of New York or credits granted by other accredited institutions. When individual courses are considered, credits are not granted for courses in which the student earned a grade below C-. In cases where the student earned grades of pass on a pass/fail system, a grade of pass is interpreted as a grade of not less than C- in the evaluation of credits earned. Depending on the courses presented for transfer and the program selected, students may need to take more than 120 credits to complete degree requirements.

Transfer students to the bachelor of science program in applied social sciences are automatically granted 60 credits for their associate degree. Students transferring into the BA program receive 60 credits in transfer if at least 30 credits of their associate degree work are in liberal arts and sciences courses. Transfers to the BA program without 30 credits in liberal arts and sciences have their transcripts reviewed on a course-by -course basis.

The school also considers for possible academic credit or advanced placement, or both, any college-level work offered through approved off-campus programs such as the University of

the Air, the Independent Study Program, RCEP, CLEP, and DANTES, and through certain educa tional programs of private or public institutions, such as hospital nursing programs, or formal training programs conducted by governmental agencies. A maximum of 30 credit hours is accepted from such sources, and each case is decided on its own merits. No credit or advanced standing is granted for general or equivalency examinations.

Questions concerning the transfer of aca-demic and advanced-standing credit should be addressed to the academic advisor of the School of Education and Human Development. Official transcripts and certificates of completion submit-ted by applicants for transfer credit are evaluated by the academic advisor. The final decision to deny or grant academic credit or advanced standing in each instance rests with the dean.

School of Management

Students who have taken two years of work at another college or university, and who wish to transfer into the School of Management for their junior and senior years, should have concentrated their first two years of academic work in arts and sciences courses, attaining at least 30 hours of credit in such subjects with grades of C or better. The student's first two years of education should therefore consist of work in the following areas: English and literature (including at least one course in compositional techniques); economics (including one course each in microeconomic and macroeconomic theory); mathematics (including at least one course in calculus); elective coursework in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. Students may also choose to further supplement their first two years of undergraduate education with courses in principles of accounting, statistics, and business law. Such courses are an important foundation for the professional course work that composes the School of Management student's final two years of study.

Students may be able to transfer some courses and/or credit in the management and accounting areas, in accordance with the school's transfer credit policy. However, it is strongly recommended that students wishing to transfer concen trate their efforts on satisfying the liberal arts and foundation course requirements. Transfer credit for upper-level professional course work is not granted without ample evidence of its basic equivalency to analogous course work taught in the School of Management. Thus, students must formally "validate" all such courses for which transfer credit is requested. Normally this re- quires (at a minimum) completion of a detailed proficiency examination in each course area for which transfer credit is requested. The coverage of such examinations is based on the appropriate course work as it is taught in the School of Management.

Students transferring into the School of Management from two-year colleges normally are limited to a maximum of 68 hours of transfer credit. For students with more than 68 credit hours, credit for courses that are offered by the School of Management will be considered before credit for liberal arts courses. As a result, credits in liberal arts beyond 68 credit hours cannot be transferred.

Although most transfer students have completed two years of college work, students can be accepted for transfer at any time during their college career, if space permits. Admission is usually not granted to students whose overall average for previous studies at other institutions is less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Advanced-standing credit is generally granted for all work comparable to that offered by Binghamton University. In addition, up to 16 hours of elective credit may be granted for courses not comparable to any offered by Binghamton, provided that the work was analytical rather than descriptive in nature. Courses falling within this category cannot include business or accounting courses. Advanced standing is not granted for courses completed with a grade lower than C.

Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science

Bachelor of Science in Engineering

Students transferring into the Division of Engineering Design (freshman and sophomore years of engineering) will have their credits transferred on a course-by-course basis. Any courses in which they receive a grade of C- or better and which apply to their major require ments will transfer. The first two years of the engineering programs are the same for either major. Students transferring into the junior year of either electrical engineering or mechanical engineering normally hold the degree of associate of science in engineering science, as defined by the SUNY Two-Year Engineering Science Association (TYESA). Members of TYESA have designed associate of science programs which closely match that of the Watson School so that tranfer into the Watson School program is facilitated. Members of the Two-Year Engineering Science Association are: Adirondack Community College, Alfred Agricultural and Technical College, Broome Community College, Canton College of Technology, Cayuga County Community College, Columbia-Greene Community College, Corning Community College, Delhi Agricultural and Technical College, Dutchess Community College, Erie Community College, SUNY Farmingdale, Finger Lakes Community College, Fulton-Montgomery Community College, Genesee Community College, Herkimer County Community College, Hudson Valley Community College, Jamestown Community College, Jefferson Community College, Manhattan Community College, Mohwak Valley Community College, Morrisville Agricultural and Technical College, Nassau Community College, Onondaga Community College, Orange County Community College, Rockland Community College, Suffolk Community College, Tompkins -Cortland Community College, and Ulster County Community College. Students from other programs should have equivalent transferable credit in the following subjects:

Calculus I, II, III and differential equations
Three courses in calculus-based physics
One course in chemistry
One course in materials science or modern physics, or a second course in chemistry
One course in English composition or technical writing
Two courses in engineering mechanics (statics and dynamics)
A first course in electrical circuits
Eight semester-credits in humanities and/or social sciences
Proficiency in engineering graphics and in a computer language (FORTRAN, Pascal, or C )

Students transferring as juniors into the electrical or mechanical engineering programs with the associate in engineering science degrees will usually receive 60 credits (junior standing) for the associate degree. Those who transfer into mechanical engineering having completed thermodynamics and/or strength of materials from a New York state community college will have the course(s) waived, substituting free elective credits to replace those junior year courses.

Those who do not have the associate degree are awarded credit on a course-by-course basis, up to 60 credits. Any credits completed in addition to the usual associate degree require ments are reviewed separately by the department of major. Upper-division credits earned, with a grade of C- or better, at any ABET-accredited four year institution are usually transferred whenever applicable to major requirements.

BS in Computer Science

Students transferring to the BS program in computer science have their transcripts evaluated course-by-course. Those who have completed the following courses with no less than a C- in each may finish the program with four full-time semesters of study:

Calculus I and II, and discrete mathematics
Physics I and II or a two-course sequence in another science
A two-course sequence in C++ and data structures
Eight credits of English or communications
Sixteen credits of social science or humanities
Entry-level courses in logic design and in computer organization and assembly language programming

Non-Degree Students

Students admitted under non-degree status may not matriculate for a degree until they have been admitted to a specific program. Applications and information on deadlines are available from the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

Non-degree students may take a part-time or full-time course load each semester. However, with the exception of applicants for summer sessions, students may not enroll as non-degree students unless at least one year has passed since their last secondary school course work. Students who wish to obtain a baccalaureate degree at some future time should consult with an academic advisor before enrolling with non -degree status for more than two consecutive semesters.

School of Education and Human Development

Applicants who wish to take courses for credit, but not toward a degree, may enroll as non -matriculated students in the School of Education and Human Development (SEHD), provided they have been out of high school at least one year and give evidence of the ability to do satisfactory work. Applicants 21 years or older without a high school diploma or its equivalent may apply only as non-matriculated students. Upon earning 24 credits, acceptable toward any degree program, such students may apply for a high school equivalency diploma and, upon receiving it, seek admission as matriculated students.

Visiting Students

Students attending and in good standing at other colleges or universities who wish to enroll in a division of the University for one or two semesters may apply as visiting (non-degree) students. This status is generally available only for Harpur and the School of Education and Human Development, but inquiries about spaces in the Decker School, the School of Management, and the Watson School should be directed to the Admissions Office. Admission as a visiting student or for one of the study-abroad programs does not imply admission to a degree program at Binghamton University. Visiting students who become interested in pursuing a degree at Binghamton must apply for admission with the SUNY application.

Concurrent Enrollment

This program is available to students enrolled in Binghamton area high schools who wish to take course work in Harpur College during their junior or senior year. These courses are for credit, but students are not matriculated for a degree. Specific information concerning procedures and academic standards is available in the Admissions Office.


Students may auditthat is, participate in but not receive credit fora course with the consent of the instructor. Before auditing a course, full-time students must also obtain the approval of the Academic Advising Office. The instructor determines the regulations for participation by auditors. When students audit a course, the word audit appears on the schedule card in place of the grade and grade points. Students who audit a course may not receive credit for it later without retaking the course. Information on application procedures may be obtained from the Admissions Office.

Older Adults AS Auditors

New York residents 60 years of age or older may audit courses free of charge when space is available. Courses may not be taken for credit. Permission of the instructor is required. Persons interested in auditing courses are encouraged to contact the Academic Advising Office in SW 110, 607-777-6305.

Academic Integrity

Binghamton University values honesty and integrity. Students applying for admission or readmission must provide full and accurate information on the appropriate application. Students falsifying information by any method may be suspended or dismissed from the University or have their admission rescinded if the violation is discovered before enrollment.

Graduate Admission

Requirements for Matriculation

1. A bachelor's degree from any college or university of recognized standing, or the equivalent.

2. Official transcripts of all previous college work (submitted in a sealed envelope with the application).

3. At least two letters of recommendation from people acquainted with the applicant's academic achievements at the institution most recently attended. Letters are submitted in sealed envelopes with the application. Applicants who have been out of school for more than five years may use other references.

4. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (verbal, quantitative, and analytical). Test scores for the GRE advanced examination should also be submitted in those disciplines where GRE advanced tests are given. Applicants for admission to programs in the School of Manage ment should submit Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) scores in lieu of GRE scores. Please submit a photocopy of your test scores, if possible, and order the results sent officially by ETS to the Graduate Admissions Office.

Applicants for the fall semester are urged to take the GRE at the December testing or earlier, as the results of later testings are frequently not available in time for admission and financial aid decisions. Information may be obtained by writing:

Graduate Record Examination
Educational Testing Service
PO Box 6000
Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6000

Applicants for fall-semester admission to the School of Management are encouraged to take the GMAT at the January testing or earlier. Information about the examinations may be obtained by writing:

Graduate Management Admissions Test
Educational Testing Service
PO Box 6103
Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6103

5. A personal statement, a completed application form, and the application fee ($50 in 1996) and payment form. These and all other required documents are submitted together, as the instructions on the application explain.

6. Recommendation by the department for admission, and approval by the vice provost for graduate studies and teaching.

The vice provost may waive the admission requirement for GRE or GMAT scores in individual cases, on the recommendation of the department's director of graduate studies. Students who do not submit GRE or GMAT scores may also be admitted provisionally and required to submit test scores before they can achieve regular matriculated status.

Admission to graduate study in any discipline does not imply admission to candidacy for a doctoral degree. Such candidacy is subject to specific requirements as defined by the several departments and schools. Students must have the approval of the department or school in which they wish to major before they can become candidates for the degree in a specific subject.


Application materials may be obtained by writing to the Graduate Admissions Office, Binghamton University, PO Box 6000, Binghamton, New York 13902-6000.

Applicants should read the detailed instruc tions on the application with care. These instructions direct applicants to enclose all application materials together; completed applications, including transcripts and letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes, are processed more quickly and efficiently by the Graduate Admissions Office. When the completed application is matched with appropri

ate test scores, sent at the applicant's request by Educational Testing Service, the application is forwarded to the department or program for review.

Individual graduate programs have their own criteria for evaluation. Some programs require credentials beyond those required by the Graduate School. Applicants should read carefully the materials sent by the program and should contact the program office if they have questions.

Like other highly competitive graduate institutions, Binghamton University has deadlines for receipt of completed applications. Decisions on admission and funding are made early in the spring for the following year. To be considered for financial aid, students must submit completed applications to the Graduate Admissions Office by February 15; some programs, including clinical psychology, require completed applications by February 1. For fall admission without aid, completed applications should arrive by April 15. For spring admission, completed applications should arrive by November 1. Some programs have different deadlines; applicants should consult the materials sent by their program. International applicants on F or J visas should apply one month before these deadlines.

Applicants wishing to be considered for fellowships or assistantships may apply by completing the appropriate section of the regular application. No separate application for funding is required by Binghamton, though successful applicants are required to apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program, and graduate students who apply for loans are required to fill out other forms.

Applicants admitted as matriculated students may be placed in one of the following categories:

Degree status: students are admitted as fully qualified to undertake a program toward a graduate degree.

Provisional admission: students whose credentials are incomplete may be admitted provisionally. Once the missing documentation is received, they will automatically become regularly admitted, this change being imple mented by the Graduate Admissions Office. All missing documentation should be submitted during the student's first semester. Students under provisional admission will not be allowed to register for successive semesters unless approval is specifically granted by the vice provost.

Conditional admission: students who do not meet academic requirements for admission, as determined by their programs, may be admitted conditionally. It is expected that specific conditions for admission to regular status, and a timetable for fulfilling those conditions, will be identified by the program at the time of conditional admission. Each semester, the program will review the student's progress toward satisfying those conditions and recommend appropriate action by the vice provost.

Non-Matriculated Admission

Admission to the Graduate School as a non-matriculated (non-degree) student is granted to applicants who present appropriate evidence of having completed undergraduate and/or graduate work in a satisfactory manner and who have received a bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited institution.

Applicants admitted as non-matriculated graduate students may register for approved undergraduate or graduate courses by obtaining the written permission of the course instructor or the chair of the department. If the instructor cannot be reached prior to registration day, approval may be requested from the department chair or advisor at registration.

Applications for non-matriculated admission may be obtained from the Graduate Admissions Office. A transcript from the college granting the bachelor's degree must be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office no later than six weeks after the beginning of the semester.

If at a later date a student decides to apply to the Graduate School for admission to a degree program, a regular admissions packet may be obtained from the Graduate Admissions Office. If the student is admitted to a degree program, an evaluation of the graduate courses that have been taken on a non-matriculated basis should be requested from the department. Through this evaluation, those courses that are found appropriate may be officially credited toward the student's degree.

International Student Admission

Applicants to the Graduate School who are citizens of other countries, whether they are enrolled in a school in the United States or abroad, are required to meet academic standards for admission, show proficiency in English on the college level, and certify that they will have the required amount of money needed for each year of study. When applicants accept offers of admission and acknowledge that they plan to attend the University, they are sent an I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status (F-1).

Although special circumstances may allow an individual to be admitted as a non-matriculated student for one term, international students (F-1 visa) generally are not eligible for admission in non-matriculated status.

To certify English proficiency, international applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). However, international students who have received a degree in the United States are not required to submit TOEFL scores. Information about the examination may be obtained by writing:

TOEFL/TSE Publications
PO Box 6154
Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6154

Normally, a minimum TOEFL score of 550 is required for admission. Some graduate programs require TOEFL scores above the 550 minimum. Instruction in English as a second language may be required as a condition of admission; students are expected to complete such instruction satisfactorily within two semesters.

International applicants must guarantee a minimum of $18,600 per year to cover expenses. This figure includes living expenses, tuition, fees, and insurance expenses. An additional $3,500 is needed for a spouse accompanying the student to the United States, and $2,000 for the first child. An additional $1,000 for each additional child must be guaranteed. The University can provide financial assistance only to a limited number of international students, who must apply for it in advance. The Immigration and Naturalization Service rarely grants permission for international students to seek employment while in the United States. The minimum resources of $18,600 refer only to the 1996-97 academic year at the time of publication. Prospective students will be notified of any cost increases.


All graduate students admitted to a degree program must register for each semester, excluding summer, until all degree requirements have been completed. Students who fail to maintain continuous registration, unless granted a formal leave of absence, are ineligible to resume graduate study until readmission has been approved. Students applying for readmis sion to a graduate program are subject to the rules, procedures, curriculum, and standards in effect at the time of readmission. Readmission is not automatic and may be subject to additional conditions set by the department or school or by the vice provost for graduate studies and teaching.

Non-matriculated students who fail to register for more than two consecutive semesters, excluding summer, are not permitted to register for courses until they have been readmitted.

Applications for readmission may be obtained from the Graduate Admissions Office. A fee of $50 is assessed for all applications for readmis sion to Binghamton University graduate degree programs.