FIVE EASY STEPS TO EVENT PLANNING
Step #1 - Event basics: ON YOUR MARK!
What type of event will this be? A cultural performance? A concert? A meeting? Use our handy Event Planning Checklist to help you plan your event!
- Select your date! Use the University Academic Calendar and the Events Calendar to select the best date for your event! *Tip* Pick a weekday (Sun-Thursday). It may be easier to get a space on campus!
- Book your space quickly because space fills up fast once the semester starts! Think about the expected number of people you envision attending, and book your space accordingly. R25, the University online booking site, has the capability to help you book a room anywhere on campus, as well as book a space for tabling in the Union. Note: Reservations may only be made by SA-chartered organizations, University-recognized groups or faculty/staff. Each student organization can select only one person to be its contact.
- Upon choosing your space, think about what the physical event set-up should be, i.e. how many tables, chairs, where stage can go, etc. If it is a University Union event, contact Orrin Kenyon, Assistant Director of the University Union, at 607-777-3300. If it is for an event outside of the University Union, contact Physical Facilities at 607-777-2226. For help with a work order, visit Campus Activities in UUW-205.
- Event Planning Checklist - Use this basic checklist to assist your group in planning a successful event. Remember, we may not have all of the specifics that your event requires on this sheet, so brainstorm prior to starting your event planning to make sure everything gets covered!
Planning a large-scale, campus-wide event? Take a look at the Procedures for Scheduling Large Scale Events.
Other Helpful Links:
- Will you need special parking? Contact Parking Services at 607-777-2294
- Will you need inflatables or games? Taylor Rental in Vestal is just one of many local providers!
Step #2 - Arrange and finalize your needs: GET READY!
What is your budget for the event? Need help? Use this Budget Planning Worksheet (pdf, 30.4kb).
If part of a recognized SA group - check the Student Association Treasurer's Handbook for policies and tips. This can be acquired by contacting the Student Association at 607-777-7777.
Other possible funding resources:
Will you need lighting, speakers, a stage?
Will you need food? Drinks? Catering?
Will you need event security?
- For events in the University Union, contact the University Union Office at 607-777-3300.
- For events outside, in the West Gym, Events Center, etc., you may need to hire Campus Activities Event Security Staff. Will you need University Police at your event? Contact Campus Activities to answer these questions! UUW205 or 607-777-2811
Other Helpful Links:
- Will you be using ScanFobs to track who is at your event? Make sure to review the policies for utilizing these.
- Will you need to sell tickets at your event?
Step # 3 - Advertise: GET SET!
Who is your target audience? How can you reach them?
- Social Media - Everyone's doing it! Social Media Guidelines
- Posting Policies
- Advertising on Campus
- B-Line is daily email sent to all undergraduate and graduate students, and the official source for university news to all students. You may submit a request to include your event by clicking the "Submit an Event" link on the right-hand side of page linked above.
- Electronic Signs (entrances to campus) – To submit a request for your event to be advertised on the electronic message boards on the Glenn G. Bartle Drive and the Bunn Hill Road entrances, please email your event information email@example.com.
- University Logo usage and copyright
Step #4 - Day of: GO!
Make sure you have all your supplies ready. What is your plan if you run out of something?
What to do in an emergency? Call:
- Harpur's Ferry (Student Ambulance Service)
- University Police 911 for an emergency or 607-777-2393 for a non-emergency
Step #5 - Wrap-up and evaluation: WAY TO FINISH!
Write up an evaluation of your event. Here's a form you can use: Post-Evaluation Worksheet.