EVENT PLANNING RESOURCE GUIDE
Step #1 - Event basics: ON YOUR MARK!
What type of event will this be? BBQ? Concert? Meeting? Conference?
- Select your date! Use the University Academic Calendar and the Events Calendar to select the best date for your event!
- Book your space quickly because space fills up fast once the semester starts! Think about the expected number of people you envision attending, and book your space accordingly. R25, Reservation System, has the capability to help you book a room anywhere on campus, as well as book a space for tabling in the Union. Note: Reservations may only be made by SA-chartered organizations, University-recognized Greek groups or faculty/staff. Each student organization can select only one person to be its contact. Space may be requested by visiting R25 Union.
- Upon choosing your space, think about what the physical event set-up should be, i.e. how many tables, chairs, where stage can go, etc. If it is a University Union event, contact Nick Kocan, operations/set-up manager, at 607-777-3300. If it is for an event outside of the University Union, contact Physical Facilities at 607-777-2226. For help with a work order, visit Campus Activities in UUW-207.
Planning a large-scale, campus-wide event? Take a look at the Procedures for Scheduling Large Scale Events.
Create a timeline for your event. When should each step be completed? And by whom?
Other Helpful Links:
- Will you need special parking? Contact Parking Services at 607-777-2294
- Will you need inflatables or games? Taylor Rental is just one of many local providers!
- Use this Event Planning Checklist to make sure you're headed in the right direction.
Step #2 - Arrange and finalize your needs: GET READY!
What is your budget for the event? Need help? Use this Budget Planning Worksheet.
Check the Student Association Treasurer's Handbook. This can be acquired by contacting the Student Association at 607-777-7777.
Other possible funding resources:
- Multicultural Resource Center: Cultural Connects Program Grant,
- Greek Life Grant: contact the Greek Life Office at email@example.com *for recognized Greek organizations only*
- Convocations Committee (pdf, 15.0kb)
Will you need lighting, speakers, a stage?
Will you need food? Drinks? Catering?
Will you need event security?
- For events in the University Union, University Union Event Staff may be required. Contact the University Union Office at 607-777-3300.
- For events outside, in the West Gym, Events Center, etc., you may need to hireCampus Activities Event Staff. Follow the Procedures for Scheduling Large Scale Events (pdf, 48.3kb ) to find out if Event Staff are needed.
- Will you need University Police at your event (pef, 106.8kb)? Contact Campus Activities to answer these questions! UUW207 or 607-777-2811
Other Helpful Links:
- Will your event require insurance? Contact Campus Activities to answer these questions! UUW-207 or 607-777-2811
- Will you be using ScanFobs to track who is at your event? Make sure to review the policies for utilizing these.
- Will you need to sell tickets at your event?
Step # 3 - Advertise: GET SET!
Who is your target audience? How can you reach them?
Step #4 - Day of: GO!
Make sure you have all your supplies ready. What is your plan if you run out of something?
What to do in an emergency? Call:
- Harpur's Ferry (Student Ambulance Service)
- University Police 911 for an emergency or 607-777-2393 for a non-emergency
Step #5 - Wrap-up and evaluation: NOW THAT YOU'VE FINISHED, WHAT WILL YOU DO?! GO TO DISNEYLAND!
Write up an evaluation of your event. Here's a form you can use: Post-Evaluation Worksheet (pdf, 27.0kb).