RUGBY (MEN) - COMPETITIVE
Sevens Rugby Tournament
Support the Men’s Rugby Club during what promises to be a great day of rugby as the team hosts a national qualifying tournament for sevens rugby beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday, April 5, at the Greater Binghamton Sports Complex, 1500 Airport Rd., Binghamton. Now an Olympic sport, sevens rugby is an action-packed, fast-paced game played on the same size field as traditional 15-player rugby, but with only seven players per team. Competition will be fierce, with teams from fellow Empire Rugby Conference members, including University at Buffalo, Stony Brook University, Brockport College, Rutgers University, St. Bonaventure University and Syracuse University. Non-conference members expected to attend include Colgate University, Drexel University and Kutztown University. Binghamton is one of four sites to host a qualifying tournament, from which the overall series winner will advance to the national tournament in Virginia Beach, Va. in May. A tournament schedule is now available.
US PowerRugby.com 2010-2011 National Ranking of 21!
Men's Rugby is a highly competitive and well-organized club sport. They compete at the Division I level and are one of the more formidable clubs in the division. Their primary season is in the fall from September through late October. They practice five days a week in the fall. In the spring, the club competes in various tournaments both away and at home. Generally, the practice schedule in the early spring is between 2-3 times per week. In the latter part of the spring semester, the club practices five days a week as they vie to compete in the Upstate Championship Tournament. All men are welcome to participate in this club.
- End 2010-2011 with a National Ranking of 21 (http://www.uspowerrugby.com/college-d1/rankings/).
- April 2011 Tournament Champions- Albany Law School Tournament..
- April 2011 Tournament Champions- SUNY XV’s Championship Tournament (Beat SUNY at Buffalo).
- April 2011 finished in 2nd Place @ Cherry Blossoms XV’s Tournament (Washington, DC).
- 2010 Fall League Play- finished 3rd place in NYS Premier Division I behind Nationally Ranked Syracuse University & SUNY at Buffalo.
- 2009 Tournament Champions- Big Apple Classic.
- 2009 Tournament Champions- Binghamton (NY) Barbarians 7's.
- 2003-2004 New York State Rugby Conference Division 2 Collegiate Champions.
Club President: Chris Mallinson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Fall 2014 Meetings|
|GIM||Wednesday 9/3||8 p.m.||West Gym- South Basketball Court|
|GIM||Thursday 9/4||8 p.m.||West Gym- South Basketball Court|
|Mandatory Team (returners)||Monday 8/25||5 p.m.||East Gym- Track Bleachers|
|Mandatory Team (everyone else)||Friday 9/5||5 p.m.||East Gym- Track Bleachers|
|Fall 2014 Practice Information|
|Day||Time||Location||Start Date of 1st Practice|
|Tuesday||4:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.||East Gym- Field 11||9/2 (returning players only)|
|Wednesday||4:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.||East Gym- Field 11||9/3 (returning players only)|
|Thursday||4:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.||East Gym- Field 11||9/4 (returning players only)|
|Friday||4:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.||East Gym- Field 11||9/5 (after mandatory team meeting for new players)|
Special Note: Pre-Season practice for returning players begins Tuesday 8/26.
Session I: 10 a.m.- 11:30 a.m...... Session II: 4:30 p.m.- 6 p.m... Both sessions take place on East Gym- Field 11.
Attention Alumni and Friends of BU Men's Rugby.....
Remember the moment- Selected photos from 2011 Alumni Game
- Photo Album 1- photos courtesy of Club Sports
- Photo Album 2- photos courtesy of Jon Cohen, University Photographer
- Note: If you have trouble viewing the album, please contact Craig Dube.
2011 Alumni Game on University "Real-to-Reel".
See selected video footage from the 2011 Alumni game at http://www2.binghamton.edu/alumni/news/alumni-connect/may-2011/alumni-gatherings.html courtesy of the University Marketing Department.
It's Time to Get Involved - BU Rugby Alumni Regroup & Refocus - Support Devils Rugby Today!
The Binghamton University Rugby Club is at the cusp of greatness. In order to bridge the gap, and elevate the Devils to compete with the elite collegiate rugby programs, the alumni have reorganized & refocused our charter to advance the team’s development. This is not a "pipe dream." It is a tangible goal, but not without the support of every one of us. Binghamton rugby alumni are expanding our membership. Our goal is to not only contact former players & fans, but the entire BU alumni community, informing them of the great strides the Devils have made, and how we, the alumni, intend to build a support network. Currently, the club competes in the NY State premier college division, and has had great successes; with our support, in a few short years the program will be able to compete with the collegiate national champions of USA rugby.
BURAA Advisory Board
Members of the board who work with the University and club leadership to continue the growth and support throughout the alumni network include Michael Geller (email@example.com), Alex Willen (firstname.lastname@example.org), Brian Bartholomew (email@example.com), Matt Fromm (firstname.lastname@example.org), Paul Balaschak (email@example.com), Lee Nesser (firstname.lastname@example.org).
GET INVOLVED TODAY and join our new Yahoo group so we can reconnect and more importantly participate in the Devils development. Go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BURAA <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BURAA>
Support the Club Today
- Submitting online: Giving online using your credit card is fast, easy and secure. You can direct your tax-deductible gift to the club by earmarking the club's name "Men's Rugby Club". https://www.giving.binghamton.edu/giving/. Under "Gift Type", choose "Other, please specify" then type "Men's Rugby Club". Account number for the club is 10547.
- Check by mail: Checks can be made out to the "Binghamton University Men's Rugby Club". Address: Binghamton University Men's Rugby Club. c/o : Club Sports. University Union Rm. 260. Binghamton, NY 13902.