Grand Opening Weekend
The Recreation Center Grand Opening will be at 10:45 a.m. Saturday, January 28. Join the Campus Recreation Staff to cross the finish line of the project and open the newly renovated center at 11 a.m.
Campus Recreation will have a weekend full of activities and giveaways as well as food samplings, courtesy of Sodexo Campus Services. Saturday, January 28 and Sunday, January 29, students, faculty staff and the community are invited to the Grand Opening weekend activities. All activity areas and spaces will be open and no memberships are required. The first 500 visitors each day will receive a free water bottle or backpack. Stop by and try out all the new equipment and classes that are offered!
As the Recreation Center at the East Gym reopens the facility will feature many substantial improvements to better serve students, faculty, staff and members. Some highlighted improvements include:
- All new expanded FitSpace
- Completely renovated locker rooms
- Improved pool and court spaces
- 3 new multipurpose rooms
- Enhanced Outdoor Pursuits Rental Center space
- New Wellness Services Suite
- Improved heating and cooling
Fitness & Wellness
The renovation project will expand Campus Recreation's fitness and wellness offerings. The equipment for the fitness area, FitSpace will include:
- 60+ cardio machines
- Precor treadmills, ellipticals and adaptive motion trainers - all equipped with CardioTheater
- Expresso "Virtual Reality" bikes
- Concept 2 rower
- 2 selectorized circuits with 30+ stations
- Hoist ROC-IT circuit (15 stations)
- Cybex Eagle circuit (19 stations)
- larger free weight area with 40+ stations
- modular, plate loaded and body weight stations
- PowerLift and olympic stations
- full range of bars and plates
- 30 pairs of dumbbells, up to 150lbs
The fitness floor layout will allow for stretching, functional training and better access to machines for everyone.
Three multipurpose rooms will offer students, faculty and staff more group fitness classes. The rooms will be able to accommodate more people and will have suspended wood flooring and independent temperature controls to provide a better environment for a wider variety of classes.
The wellness services suite will offer a spa-like atmosphere with three private consultation rooms for a variety of personal services like massage and reflexology. These rooms will also be used for personal training appointments, fitness evaluations and body composition testing allowing the personal trainers more privacy when working with clients.
Both the men's and women's locker rooms will be completely renovated and offer more privacy with individual showers and multiple locker bays. Lockers will be available for rental in two sizes (half and full length) by semester or by year. All locker rentals will include a shower towel and service for the duration of the rental period. Day lockers will also be available in each locker room as well as throughout the building. There will also be a family/private locker room with a shower to accommodate participants who want additional privacy or need assistance.