Final Exam Scheduling
The Faculty Senate passed a new policy regrading Final Exams. The policy can be found in the Faculty/Staff Handbook and is effective starting with the Fall 2014 semester.
- Courses are not required to offer a final exam. However all final exams and end-of-course exams must be offered during the official final examination period, at the time scheduled by the Course Building and Academic Space Management (CBASM) Office.
- Students shall not be required to take examinations or turn in take-home finals during the week preceding the final examination period.
- Students should not have to take three or more final examinations in one 24-hour period. In cases where students have more than two exams scheduled in a 24-hour period, faculty are urged to arrange a time for a make-up exam. In cases where conflict arises, the faculty member teaching the largest course will be expected to arrange a make-up exam.
- Every course, undergraduate and graduate, with the exception of independent study, internships, and practicums, will be scheduled a final exam time based upon the time the course meets during the regular semester.
- Instructors no longer need to request a final exam, except in cases of make-up exams.
- Each dean's office will provide the CBASM office with a list of courses that should NOT have a final exam scheduled. These are courses which never will have a final exam because they have an alternate method of evaluation. Examples may include WRIT 111, music performance courses, senior/capstone projects, etc.
- Final exams will be scheduled from 8:00 am to 10:05 pm Monday through Thursday and from 8:00 am to 5:15 pm on Friday of the final examination period. The time will be based on the meeting times of the course during the regular semester. Standard exam times are as follows:
o 8:00 am - 10:00 am
o 10:25 am – 12:25 pm
o 12:50 pm – 2:50 pm
o 3:15 pm – 5:15 pm
o 5:40 pm – 7:40 pm
o 8:05 pm – 10:05 pm
- Courses with the same rubric will be scheduled together.
- For multiple format/linked courses (lecture and discussion, lecture and lab, etc.), the final exam will be scheduled based on the meeting pattern of the credit bearing section
- For courses scheduled in departmental rooms, the final exam should be scheduled in the departmental room where the course meets at the time determined by the CBASM office.
- For asynchronous on-line courses, the final exam or end-of-course exam should be due on the Wednesday of the final examination week. For synchronous on-line courses, the final exam or end of course exam should be scheduled based on the meeting pattern of the course, based on the time determined by the CBASM office.
- Double seating will not be available.
- Final exams for different courses will not be scheduled together at the same time/location based on requests by instructors/departments. Final exams for different courses may be scheduled together at the same time/location by the CBASM office, if necessary to maximize room utilization.
- Review sessions can be scheduled during the final examination period, based on availability of rooms.
Submit a Request for a Make Up Exam
Only requests for make up exams are required. All other courses will be scheduled a final exam time.
Click here to request a final exam (link).
or if you want to submit multiple final exams on a single spreadsheet,
Click here to download the final exam request template (8.2 kb .xlsx)
Final Exam Schedule
Click here to view the final exam schedule.
Contact Classroom Scheduling Coordinator Lisa Gould at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-777-6872.