Internship, Research (Unpaid)
Undergraduate Students, Staff, Alumni, Faculty, Graduate Students, No Preference
Victims of sexual assault oftentimes are required to turn over their clothing as evidence during a forensic exam. Crime Victims Assistance Center Advocates respond to victims’ needs at the emergency rooms through a memorandum of understanding established by the Broome County Sexual Assault Response Team (with Binghamton University as partner). This project provides clothing (sweat pants and shirt) to victims at the time of evidence collection so that they could leave the emergency rooms/exams with dignity and some much needed comfort.
Rather than raise the funds to purchase these “sweats” at the cost of $20 per set, times 95 victims per year; we would like to engage members of the community with sewing skills to contract with us for the production of the clothing. In that way, people who might not have other employment
could work from home, commensurate with their ability, at a rate per piece .
1. Project Manager (Management/Business Student) to devise a work plan and coordinate tasks
2. Outreach Coordinator (Elder Services/ Immigration Consultant) to canvass agencies, seek referrals and interview applicants
3. Public Relations (Awareness and Fund Raising for Victims' Rights) to approach vendors for goods used in project
4. Logistics Coordinator (Emergency Services) for pick up/delivery of goods; inspection; and stocking products at Emergency Departments at local hospitals
5. Supervisor (Human Service Student) to work directly with contracted individuals who are producing product; helping them problem solve any obstacles