Skip header content and main navigationBinghamton University/Human Development logo

students asking questions


How do I add or drop a class?

Before the add/drop/delete deadline, you may make changes to your course schedule through BU BRAIN.

If you wish to add or drop a course after the add/drop deadline, ( you must:

    Note:  A twenty dollar ($20) fee per course will be charged to your student account and can be paid online.

Back to top

How do I withdraw from a course?

A course withdrawal period extends from the add/drop deadline until the course withdrawal deadline (in fall and spring semesters - is the ninth Friday of classes; summer - varies based upon term/session). 

View deadlines

Students who drop courses during this period receive a grade of "W."  You cannot drop your last class through this process.  If you intend to drop your last class, you must fill out a semester withdrawal form.

The course withdrawal deadline is also the deadline for changing grading options ( for individual courses (pass/fail or letter grade).  The official Grade Option Change deadline is available on the University's academic calendar

You must complete the Grade Option Change Form and submit it to the Financial Aid and Registrar Student Services Office, Student Wing, Room 109, no later than 15 minutes prior to the conclusion of the business day.

To change the grading option of a course after the drop deadline, use the Undergraduate General Academic Petition Form available in the Peer Advising Office, UDC-413.

Back to top

How many credits can I take per semester?

An undergraduate student can take up to 18 credits per semester without any special action. If you would like to take more than 18 credit hours, you must complete an Overload Request Form (.pdf, 91 kb). Students wishing to take an overload must meet one of the following conditions:

The completed form should be returned to the department office.

Back to top

What courses can I take pass/fail?

CCPA majors may take a maximum of 16 credits of free elective pass/fail. these may not include courses that fulfill general education and/or major course requirements.

Back to top

What is the maximum number of Internship/Independent Study courses I can take?

No more than 8 credit-hours in internship/independent study courses can be applied toward the 124 credits required for the degree.

Back to top

What is the difference between a BA and a BS degree?

Both bachelor of arts degree (BA) and bachelor of science degree (BS) students must earn a minimum of 124 credit-hours. A BA requires 90 credits in liberal arts courses.  A BS requires 60 credits in liberal arts courses.

Back to top

What if I want to pursue a minor outside of CCPA?

If you want to minor in an area outside of CCPA, contact the specific department to discuss the requirements for applying for and completing the minor. The minor will be added by the Registrar's Office and will appear on your DARS report.

Learn more about how to declare a minor

Back to top

How do I minor in Management?

The Adjunct Program ( is offered by the School of Management for students with appropriate qualifications. Students accepted into the Adjunct Program are allowed to take 24 credit-hours in the School of Management and are given priority at registration equivalent to that of SOM students.

To apply for the Adjunct Program in Management, students must have completed at least 60 credits, including at least one semester, full time at Binghamton University, and must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5.

Back to top

How do I pursue a double degree?

Students wishing to enroll in the double-degree option should complete the online application (, or obtain one from the Peer Advising Office, UDC-413. Double-degree students must complete 156 credits.

Back to top

How do I order a transcript?

The CCPA Advising Office does NOT provide students with either official or unofficial transcripts. Students may view an unofficial transcript on the BU BRAIN.  If an official transcript is needed, submit a request ( via the BU BRAIN.

For more information and step-by-step instructions, go to

Back to top

How do I compute my Grade Point Average (GPA)?

The Grade Point Average is calculated on a 4.0 system using the following scale:

A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D 1.0
F 0.0

To calculate your GPA, multiply the number of credits in each course by the equivalent of the letter grade above. Add together the grade points for all the courses taken. Divide the total grade points by the total number of credits for all courses being computed to arrive at your GPA.

Back to top

How do I get on the Dean's List?

To qualify for the Dean's List at the end of the fall or spring semesters, a student must have a 3.75 or better semester Grade Point Average and have no missing or incomplete grades. Recognition is given for each semester in which you meet these criteria and is noted on your transcript.

Back to top

What is Graduation with Honors?

Students with outstanding academic records receive honors upon graduation. To qualify, you must meet the cumulative Grade Point Averages specified below, have earned at least 32 credit-hours in CCPA with a normal grading option and have no missing grades or incompletes.

Honors are awarded as follows:

3.50-3.69 GPA Cum laude

3.70-3.84 GPA Magna cum laude

3.85-4.00 GPA Summa cum laude

Back to top

Back to top

Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 6/18/15