For Graduate Students
So you've chosen graduate school. Now what?
Here's a timeline to guide your progress:
Points to remember
Now is the time to:
- Think about and fine tune your professional identity
- Join professional associations, present at conferences and network in the chosen field
- Make the transition from student to professional
Searching, interviewing, accepting, success!
- Update your resume and visit OCIP to have it critiqued
- Begin to develop your curriculum vitae (CV) if you have publications
- Seek out assistantships and internships in your chosen focus
- Develop an employer prospect list with contact names and addresses from organizations you are interested in pursuing
- Gather information on realistic salary expectations. OCIP will be able to help.
- Attend professional conferences to meet potential employers
- Draft a cover letter that can be adapted for a variety of employers and have it critiqued
- Participate in interviewing workshops and practice interviews
- Read two or more professional or trade publications from your major and career field on a regular basis
- Make appointments to talk to appropriate faculty about career planning
- Attend alumni/student events
- Follow up on all applications and keep a record of the status of each
- Go on second interviews
- Evaluate job offers and accept one
- Report all job offers and your acceptance to OCIP