Are you ready? There is still time to build!
Here's a timeline to guide your progress:
Make an appointment to visit OCIP. Check your career center's website for a calendar of dates and times of career development and job-search workshops and seminars, career and job fairs, and company information sessions. Update your resume and have it critiqued and proofread. Join professional associations and become an active member to build a network of colleagues in your field. Find a student version of your professional association and take leadership roles. Subscribe to and read professional journals in your chosen field.
Searching, interviewing, accepting, success!
- Update your resume and visit OCIP to have it critiqued
- Develop an employer prospect list with contact names and addresses from organizations you are interested in pursuing
- Gather information on realistic salary expectations. OCIP will be able to help.
- Attend local association meetings to meet potential employers
- Draft a cover letter that can be adapted for a variety of employers and have it critiqued
- Participate in interviewing workshops and practice interviews
- Read two or more professional or trade publications from your major and career field on a regular basis
- If you are planning to go to graduate school, take graduate school entrance exams and complete applications
- Follow up on all applications and keep a record of the status of each
- Go on second interviews
- Evaluate job offers and accept one
- Report all job offers and your acceptance to OCIP
Courtesy of the National Association of Colleges and Employers, copyright holder. www.naceweb.org.