Students entering our program typically have several years of practice experience in a variety of fields (e.g., education, counseling, human services, public health, public administration, social work, and student affairs administration) as well as a commitment to health and wellbeing, social justice, human rights, public service, social welfare, and/or community transformation.

Applicants for the doctoral program should have a master's degree in counseling, human development, psychology, public administration, social work, sociology, political science, student affairs, education, or another related social science discipline or profession.

Students are admitted to the program once per year. Applications received by December 1 will be given full consideration for admission and funding the following fall. Applications received after this date will be given equal consideration, but support can only be given to the extent funds are available. Completed applications for admission to the doctoral program must follow the guidelines outlined by The Graduate School at Binghamton University.

The Doctoral Committee in the College of Community and Public Affairs will evaluate applications. Competitive funding packages including tuition, annual stipend, and comprehensive health insurance are available for highly qualified candidates who intend to study full-time. Individuals who would like to pursue the interdisciplinary doctorate in Community and Public Affairs on a part-time basis may also apply, although courses are typically only offered during the day. All applicants are strongly encouraged to reach out to 2-3 faculty in the College (please note tenure-line faculty across all Departments in the College can serve as advisors) who have similar research interests and who could serve as potential advisors prior to submitting an application.

Applications must include:

  • official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate level coursework,
  • curriculum vitae or resume,
  • well substantiated written statement of approximately 2-3 (single-spaced) pages that describes: (a) the applicant's training and professional background as well as interest in public scholarship on community and social issues; (b) research interests and associated relationships(s) to social justice, human rights, public service, social welfare, and/or community transformation; (c) career goals (academic, research, or policy-related) associated with pursuing a research degree; and (d) two or three faculty members in the College of Community and Public Affairs who could be potential advisors and why,
  • three (3) letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's academic background and record,
  • a writing sample, and
  • TOEFL scores are required if the applicant is from a non-English speaking country — minimum: 100 (internet-based TOEFL) or 600 (paper-based TOEFL). Scores must be submitted from a test taken in the last 18 months. Exemptions are granted to applicants who have earned (or will earn, before enrolling) a U.S. bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association in the United States, or the international equivalent degree from a university of recognized standing in a country in which all instruction is provided in English. Therefore, applicants with degrees from the U.S., Australia, Canada (except Quebec), New Zealand, Singapore, and the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales) are exempt from taking the TOEFL.

Selected applicants will be invited to interview with faculty in February. Applicants are typically notified about in writing of final admissions decisions in March.

Last Updated: 8/25/16