Updates From the Center for Career and Professional Development
CCPDI 200 -- Summer Session-1 Course Explores Majors and Careers
Still undecided about a major or uncertain of your career path? Make the most of your college experience and effectively prepare for your future career by signing up for this summer session career development course!
In summer session 1: (May 28 to June 28, 2013), the online course, “Bridging Academics to Careers: Exploring Opportunities in a Global Society” (CCPDI 200) will be offered. This 2 credit course satisfies the “W” requirement.
Create a purposeful plan by becoming well informed and therefore more confident about how you will utilize your college experience! To learn more about the course including objectives, topics, required materials, how you will be graded, and more visit the course webpage on the Center for Career and Professional Development's website.
BU Mentors Needed for Johnson City Mentor Program (Fall 2013)
The Johnson City Mentor Program is recruiting Binghamton University students to mentor middle school students. The two-credit program involves spending 5-hours a week at the JC Middle School and attending a weekly seminar course. The deadline to apply for a fall semester assignment is Wednesday, May 8, 2013. For more information and an application go to the JC Mentor Program on the CCPD website. Please be aware that in order to participate in this program you must have a car as there is no bus service available to this location.
Summer Internship Funding Available for Undergraduate Students!
Sponsored by Binghamton’s campus food services provider, Sodexo, Inc., the Sodexo Internship Fund provides the opportunity for talented undergraduate students to secure financial support while completing an unpaid summer 2013 internship. Through the Fund, chosen students will receive a stipend of up to $5,000 to complete an unpaid internship. For more information about the application process and how to apply, visit the Sodexo Internship Fund webpage. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made on a rolling basis.
Sophomores Interested in International Relations & Global Affairs Should Consider
The JFEW-SUNY International Relations and Global Affairs Program, is a two-year program for sophomore students from Binghamton University who demonstrate a strong interest in a career in international affairs. The JFEW program includes two years of scholarship support (up to $5,000 each year), and a paid international affairs related internship in New York. Students from all backgrounds who match the criteria are encouraged to apply.
- Minimum GPA of 3.2
- U. S. citizens or eligible for citizenship
- Permanent residence must be in New York City or within a 50-mile radius thereof
- Entering their Junior Year in fall 2013
- Current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with their University's Office of Financial Aid. This FAFSA must establish that the student has demonstrated financial need.
- Preference is given to female applicants
The application deadline for the JFEW program is Friday, May 3, 2013, at 4:00 pm. For more information and the application please visit the JFEW pages on the CCPD website.
Mock Interview Program Available through the CCPD
For students who want to improve their interviewing skills, the CCPD offers a mock interview program. A practice interview is one of the best ways to prepare for an actual interview. It helps you to learn what is expected and how to improve the way you present yourself.
The CCPD's Mock Interview Program runs now through Friday, May 10 and will be held within the Center for Career and Professional Development. Each interview will be approximately 30 minutes in length, with 15-20 minutes for the interview and 10 minutes for feedback. Students can apply to the Mock Interview Program through eRecruiting. Search the "employers" field for "practice interview" and follow the instructions included in the position description. Space is limited, so apply early!
Upcoming CCPD Events
Writing Resume and Cover Letters
Cover Letter Writing - Extreme Makeover Edition: Thursday, April 18, 4:30 PM-5:00 PM, UU 202
- Targeted cover letters get read. Generic letters get trashed. We'll show you how to approach cover letter writing to get results!
Resume Writing: Tuesday, April 23, 4:30 PM-5:00 PM, UU 206
- Write a resume that sells you as a candidate who has the skills and qualities employers seek!
Finding Jobs and Internships
HELP! I'm Graduating and Need a job : Monday, April 22, 4:40 PM-5:40 PM, UU 102
- If you're graduating next month and don't yet have a short or long term plan in place, don't despair! There ARE opportunities out there! Come learn about options and resources you may not have yet discovered.
Career Planning & Preparation
Juniors: Start the Grad School Planning Process now : Friday, April 19, 2:20 PM-3:20 PM, UU 215
- If you're considering graduate or professional school, NOW is the time to begin planning! Discussion will include how to determine the best program and degree, steps in the application process, what graduate admissions expects, what makes a strong application, and tips on getting funding for graduate school.
Reflections from the Classroom, Teachers Tell Their Stories : Thursday, April 25, 4:00 PM-6:30 PM, UU 215
- Do you really know what teachers do? Or do you just have a vague idea of the teaching profession based on your experience as a student? Gain the information you need to make an informed career decision from educators in the field.
Presenting Yourself Professionally
CCPD Mock Interview Program: Ongoing - Apply and schedule a session through your eRecruiting account
- The best way to hone your interviewing skills is to practice! Sign up for a mock interview with a CCPD staff member through your eRecruiting account. Open to all majors and class years.
FREE LinkedIn Photo Booth!: Thursday, April 19 & Friday, May 3, 1:30 PM-4:00 PM, LNG 322
- Do you have a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile? LinkedIn data does show that profiles with images are seven times more likely to be viewed than those without one. The Ladders conducted a study and found that recruiters spend more time examining a LinkedIn user's picture than actually reviewing the person's qualifications. Come dressed in professional attire to have your photo taken!
Build Your Professional Network
CCPD/Harpur College of Arts & Sciences Alumni - Student Networking Event: Friday, April 26, 3:00 PM-4:30 PM, C4 - Newing Commons
- An informal opportunity to meet Harpur alumni and explore career paths, job strategies and the value of the Liberal Arts and Sciences education. Refreshments will be provided.
Recruiting Updates: Check out the new job and Internship Postings
The CCPD posts new internships and full-time positions daily! Visit eRecruiting today to apply for positions! Be sure to regularly check your eRecruiting account for updated postings and deadlines. Recent postings include:
- The White House Office of Presidential Correspondence Associate Program Fall 2013, The White House, DC- Washington
- 2013 Internship Digital Design/Multimedia, American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLU), NY- New York
- Consulting Internship with President Stenger, Binghamton university- Office of the President, NY- Binghamton
- History Research Project Intern Summer 2013, WSKG Public Broadcasting, NY- Vestal
- Broadcast Intern Summer 2013, WSKG Public Broadcasting, NY- Vestal
- Education & Outreach Intern Summer 2013, WSKG Public Broadcasting, NY- Vestal
- NYC Parks Fellowships & Conservation Corps Program, City of New York
- Environmental Planning Intern, Broome County Department of Personnel, NY- Binghamton
- Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) Manager, Graphic Packaging International Inc., IL- Carol Stream
- Cell Culture Technologist, Chan Test Corp., OH- Cleveland
- Chemist, United States Mint, NY- West Point
- Project Administrator, Health & Wellness Partners, NJ- Ramsey
- Music Director, Living Water Lutheran Church, AZ- Buckeye
- 2013 Paid Summer Internships, Envision EMI, VA- Vienna
- WICZ Weekend Anchor/Reporter, Fox 40 News- WICZTV, NY- Vestal
- Legal Support Analyst, New York State Office of the Attorney Journal, NY- Albany
- Energy Analyst Intern, TRC Companies, Inc.
- Technology Intern, ZUUS Media, Multi-locations
- Digital Campus Agent, GMR Marketing, NY- Binghamton
- Writer/Contributor, The Foreign Report, Multi-locations
- Solar Ambassador- Summer Job, BrightCurrent
- Legal Analyst, Balastriere Fariello, NY- New York
- System Engineer, Linium, Multi-locations
- Document Prep Clerk, Data Entry Clerk, JP Morgan Chase, NY- Binghamton
- Teacher- Tufts Educational Day Care Center, Tufts University, MA- Somerville
- Trading Floor Internship, T3 Trading Group, LLC, NY- New York
- Investment Banking Intern, InternJump LLC, NY- New York
- Social Media Intern, InternJump LLC, NY- New York
- Program Analyst- Deloitte, MD Baltimore
- Account Receivable Specialists, Parchem- Fine & Specialty Chemicals, NY- New Rochelle
- Accounts Payable Role, SDL International America, MA- Wakefield
- General Management, McMaster-Carr, Multi-locations
- Business Focused College Grad, Rehab Alternatives, NY- Jericho
- Account Coordinator, Brown & Brown Metro, Inc., NJ- Florham Park
- Market Research for a Startup, SRP Systems, NJ- Princeton
- Business Technologies, McKinney Real Estate, NY- Binghamton
- Tax Analyst, Vastardis Capital Services, Multi-locations
- Electrical Engineering Co-Op Summer or Fall 2013, Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab), VA- Newsport News
- Application Engineer, Crestron Electronics, Inc., NJ
- Technical Support Analyst Internship, STCR, Inc., NY- Endwell
- Technical Project Engineer, Dalet, NY- New York
- IT Intern, Guida's Milk, CT- New Britain
- Associate Engineer Product Development, Fabri- Kal Corporation, MI- Kalamazoo
- IT Intern, Trust Company of the West, , Multi-locations
- Desktop/ Network Support, Pride Consulting, IL- Cary
- Technology Analyst Development Program- Infrastructure Engineer, JP Morgan Chase, OH- Columbus
- Mechanical Engineers, Detroit Engineered Products, MI- Troy
Employer Information Sessions
If you are conducting a job or internship search, Employer Information Sessions are a great way to learn about organizations, gather information about positions, and make all-important contacts in the world-of-work. Check the eRecruiting calendar regularly to learn more about future sessions. Upcoming on-campus information sessions include:
- 4/18 ACHIEVE (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM, UU 102)
- 4/23 Teach for America (6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, LNG 307)
- 4/26 U.S. Department of State ( 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM, in UU 202)
"Like Us" on FACEBOOK and Follow Us on TWITTER
Stay up-to-date on Career Development Center events and services, participate in polls, and learn about current career-related issues through the CCPD Facebook Fan Page! Join us at www.facebook.com/Binghamton.CDC! You can also follow us on Twitter @ BinghamtonCDC.