Updates From the Center for Career and Professional Development
Going Global is an online resource to research countries and make your short list using Going Global.This international career database is available on the Center for Career and Professional Development’s (CCPD) home page and access is possible by logging-in using your PODs account. Going Global’s 80,000 page database contains Country Career Guides that provide helpful information you need to know when studying or working in another country. It includes country-specific career guides, international job and internship opportunities, employer directory, and work authorization information.
The key to being successful in a foreign country is through knowing the “unwritten” rules. Utilize Going Global to research communication styles, time management, and negotiation styles for over 30 countries. Read the cultural advice section under the country guides to learn about cultural norms and expectations. For more information about using Going Global, attend the upcoming CCPD program "How to Find a Job with an International Focus" on Tuesday, March 19 from 4:30 to 5:30 PM in UU 202. You can also visit the CCPD South and speak with a Career Counselor during the CCPD’s counselor-on-call hours. The Going Global database is a resource co-sponsored by International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) and the Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD).
Liberal Arts to Careers Externship (LACE) provides students in Harpur College an opportunity to learn about careers by shadowing a graduate of Harpur College. Selected students are matched with a professional for a three to five day shadowing experience at the sponsor’s workplace over the summer break. Preference for the LACE program is given to rising and current sophomores. More information about the program including how to apply is available at www.binghamton.edu/lace. The deadline to apply for a summer externship is Friday, April 5.
For students who want to improve their interviewing skills, the CCPD offers a mock interview program. A practice interview is one of the best ways to prepare for an employment interview. It helps you to learn what is expected and how to improve the way you present yourself.
The CCPD's Mock Interview Program runs now through Friday, May 10 and will be held within the Center for Career and Professional Development. Each interview will be approximately 30 minutes in length, with 15-20 minutes for the interview and 10 minutes for feedback. Students can apply to the Mock Interview Program through eRecruiting. Search the “employers” field for “practice interview” and follow the instructions included in the position description. Space is limited, so apply early!
Sponsored by Binghamton’s campus food services provider, Sodexo, Inc., the Sodexo Internship Fund provides the opportunity for talented undergraduate students to secure financial support while completing an unpaid summer 2013 internship. Through the Fund, chosen students will receive a stipend of up to $5,000 to complete an unpaid internship. For more information about the application process and how to apply, visit the Sodexo Internship Fund webpage. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made on a rolling basis.
How NOT to End Up in a Nightmare Job: Thursday, April 11, 5:30 PM-6:30 PM, UUW 215
- This fun and interactive workshop will help you identify your career values and figure out what exactly you want in/from your future career - and what you don't - so you can be sure to NOT end up in a nightmare job!
Writing Resume and Cover Letters
Cover Letter Writing: Extreme Makeover Edition: Thursday, March 14, 4:00 PM-4:30 PM, UUW 324
- Targeted cover letters get read. Generic letters get trashed. We'll show you how to approach cover letter writing to get results!
Resume Writing: Monday, March 18, 4:40 PM-5:40 PM, UU 111
- Write a resume that sells you as a candidate who has the skills and qualities employers seek!
Writing Cover Letters: Wednesday, April 3, 4:00 PM-4:30 PM, UU 206
- Cover letters are more than assembly-line style merge documents! They must demonstrate genuine interest as well as your fit with their specific needs! Learn how to do cover letters the right way!
Resume Writing - Extreme Makeover Edition: Thursday, April 4, 4:30 PM-5:30 PM, UU 206
- Go beyond the basics! Learn how to take your resume to the next level to showcase the skills employers seek! Please bring a draft of your resume to this session!
Presenting Yourself Professionally
CCPD Mock Interview Program: Ongoing - Apply and schedule a session through your eRecruiting account
- The best way to hone your interviewing skills is to practice! Sign up for a mock interview with a CCPD staff member through your eRecruiting account. Open to all majors and class years.
Interviewing Skills: Thursday, March 21, 4:30 PM-5:45 PM, UU 206
- Learn what to expect during an interview and how to prepare effectively so you can make a great impression!
FREE LinkedIn Photo Booth!: Thursday, April 4 & April 5, 1:30 PM-4:00 PM, LNG 322
- Do you have a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile? LinkedIn data does show that profiles with images are seven times more likely to be viewed than those without one. The Ladders conducted a study and found that recruiters spend more time examining a LinkedIn user's picture than actually reviewing the person's qualifications. Come dressed in professional attire to have your photo taken!
Upstate New York Tech Career Connection?: Tuesday, April 2, 12:00 PM-4:30 PM, Emerson Suits, Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
- This event features experienced panelists who will share advice on finding a career in science and technology and an exhibitor session with STEM companies from a 15-county region in Upstate New York. This is your opportunity to network and learn about internships and job openings with STEM companies in the region (NOTE: Not all exhibitors will have job or internship openings).
VIRTUAL CAREER FAIR, Featuring New York's 4 SUNY University Centers: Wednesday, April 17, Online
- Students/Alumni are invited to attend the Virtual Career Fair, a unique virtual event that helps job seekers meet employers in a time efficient, virtual way.
Job Internship Search
How to Find a Job with an International Focus: Tuesday, March 19, 4:30 PM-5:30 PM, UU 202
- Discover Going Global, an international career database, and search for job listings and the employer directory which contains 1000's of company listings. Maximize your job search to target employers who have petitioned for international employees in the past.
What Happens After My Federal Application is Submitted?: Wednesday, March 20, 1:00 PM-2:00 PM, LNG 307 (CCPD Workshop Rm)
- The federal application process does not end when you press submit on USAJOBS.gov. During this webinar, we will discuss what students and jobseekers can expect in the next stages of the application process. From essays to interviews to security clearances, Partnership staff and agency experts will discuss how to stand out after your resume has been submitted.
CCPDI Fall 2013 Internship Information Session: All sessions in UUW 324
- Wednesday, March 20, 3:30 PM-4:30 PM
Thursday, March 21, 3:00 PM-4:00 PM
Friday, March 22, 12:00 PM-1:00 PM
Monday, April 8, 4:40 PM-5:40 PM
Tuesday, April 9, 4:30 PM-5:30 PM
- Learn how to apply and obtain credit for your FALL 2013 Internship! All sophomores and juniors are welcome to attend.
Securing Federal Employment Abroad : Thursday, April 11, 4:00 PM-5:00 PM, UU 202
- Want to see the world while serving your country? Join us for a discussion about the mission- critical, international positions in the government. Participants will hear from agency representatives and Partnership staff on a variety of international opportunities and how applicants can leverage language and technology skills to secure a coveted position abroad.
The Center for Korean Studies (CKS) is pleased to announce their second biennial Career Day event taking place on Saturday, March 16 from 1:00-5:00 PM in the Fine Arts Building and S1 149. CKS wants to help students understand themselves in relation to the career world and develop the skills and competencies needed for career success. CKS also wants to give students useful information and networking opportunities with community and alumni professionals. The event will be held in two parts: General Session and Breakout Sessions. In the general session, two panelists will give presentations about general ideas for building-up your career.
“Career in the US vs. Korea”
Kwang Seung Jeon
The Upstate News York Tech Career Fair is part job fair, part trade show to network with STEM companies in the region, share information, and learn about any job openings or internships the companies may have. The event takes place on April 2, from 12:00 to 4:30 PM at the Emerson Suites, Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY. Students from local colleges are encouraged to attend, and take part in both the Panel Presentations (Panel 1: How to Land a Job - Your Career in STEM, and Panel 2: Careers in Industry and Academia) and Exhibitor Session. Admission is free for attendees.
Don't miss this opportunity to network and learn about internships and job openings with STEM companies in the region. Registered companies include Amphenol Interconnect Products, Chobani, Dell SecureWorks, GrammaTech, Inc., ICM Controls, staffing consultants among others. To register and for more information go to the event web page by clicking here.
The CCPD posts new internships and full-time positions daily! Visit eRecruiting today to apply for positions! Be sure to regularly check your eRecruiting account for updated postings and deadlines. Recent postings include:
- Special Agent, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Nationwide
- NOW’S Internship Program, National Organization for Women, DC- Washington
- Economic Assistants (RA), Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), DC- Washington
- 2013 Summer Law Internship Program, New York State Office of the Attorney General, NY- New York
- AmeriCorps Environmental Educator, Maine Conservation Program, Maine
- Human Resources (Talent Management) (Internship/Co-Op), Iberdola USA (NYSEG), NY- Rochester
- Technical Writer Job, Yoh, A Day & Zimmermann Company, CA- San Francisco
- Merchandiser, Detailer, Frito Lay, Inc., NY- Watertown
- Retail Leadership Development, Verizon Wireless, NY- Dewitt
- Email Marketing Intern, Active Web Group, NY- Hauppauge
- Assistant Project Director, Calrion Research, NY- New York
- Lyceum Coordinator- Graduate School of Education, The Research Foundation of State University of New
- York at Binghamton, NY- Binghamton
- MDA Summer Camp Counselor, Muscular Dystrophy Association, NY- Wading River
- Claims Specialist Rotational Program, Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, TX- Irving
- 2013 Summer Associate Program, NYC Office of the Comptroller, NY- New York
- Legal Secretary/Legal Assistant, Grais & Ellsworth LLP, NY- New York
- Development Associate, New York Legal Assistance Group, NY- New York
- Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics (SIBS) or the Summer Institute in Occupational Health
- and Safety (OHS), Florida- Tampa
- Marketing Intern, FreshySites, NY- Binghamton
- Project Manager/Japanese Linguist, Morningside Translations, NY- New York
- Summer Internship- Design Services, Legg Mason, CT- Stamford
- Graphic Design Internship- Summer 2013, Amicus Creative Media, LLC, NY- Port Washington
- High School Teachers, Instituto del Progreso Latino, IL- Chicago
- Nurse Scholar Intern, Visiting Nurse Service of New York, NY- New York
- Summer Student Volunteer Program, Internal Revenue Service, NY- Buffalo & Rochester
- Associate Sales Representative, ADP, NY-Binghamton
- Account Receivable Specialist, Parchem- Fine & Specialty Chemicals, NY- New Rochelle
- Marketing & Communications Associate, Site Compli, NY- New York
- Business Analyst/ Quality Analyst, Matrix Resources, GA- Alpharetta
- IT Project Analyst, Hatstand Consulting, TX- Dallas
- Newtwork Engineer, Black Line Consulting, IL- Naperville
- Technology Summer Intern- Equity Institutional Bookbuilding System, Ipreo, NY- New York
- College Summer Internship, MTA Bridges and Tunnels, NY- New York
- IT Security/Compliance (Internship/Co-Op), Iberdrola USA (NYSEG), NY- Rochester
- Electric Capital Delivery (Internship/Co-Op), Iberdrola USA (NYSEG), Maine- Augusta & NY- Rochester
- Software Engineer, Resource 1, CA- Santa Ana
- Support Engineer, Amazon, WA-Seattle
- PC Service Technician, BlueStorm Technologies, Inc., NY- Binghamton
- Perl Programmer, Stevens Capital Management LP., RA- Radnor
- Java Developer/ Java JNI developer, Deloitte, CO- Denver
- Systems Engineer, Matrix Resources, GA- Atlanta
If you are conducting a job or internship search, Employer Information Sessions are a great way to learn about organizations, gather information about positions, and make all-important contacts in the world-of-work. Check the eRecruiting calendar regularly to learn more about future sessions. Upcoming on-campus information sessions include:
- 3/19 Bloomberg, 11:00 AM -- 4:00 PM, Watson Commons (Pastry Cart)
- 4/15 Peace Corps (Time and Location - TBD)
Stay up-to-date on Career Development Center events and services, participate in polls, and learn about current career-related issues through the CCPD Facebook Fan Page! Join us at www.facebook.com/Binghamton.CDC! You can also follow us on Twitter @ BinghamtonCDC.