Updates From the Center for Career and Professional Development
LACE Program for Harpur Undergraduates -- Application Deadline Friday, April 5
Liberal Arts to Careers Externship (LACE) provides undergraduate students in Harpur College an opportunity to learn about careers by shadowing a graduate of Harpur College. Selected students are matched with a professional for a three to five day shadowing experience at the sponsor's workplace over the summer break. Preference for the LACE program is given to rising and current sophomores. More information about the program including how to apply is available at www.binghamton.edu/lace. The deadline to apply for a summer externship is Friday, April 5.
Apply Now for a CCPDI Fall 2013 Internship via eRecruiting
Students can now apply for a Fall 2013 semester internship through the Center for Career and Professional Development Internship (CCPDI) Program through eRecruiting. The CCPDI Program is the largest credit-bearing internship program at Binghamton University. The CCPDI Program partners with local, regional, national and international agencies to provide Binghamton University students with a wide variety of opportunities to gain experience. Students who apply for a CCPDI internship are required to attend a CCPDI information session, and upcoming information sessions are occurring on 4/8, and 4/9. Check the CCPD calendar for information about the location and time of the information sessions. The deadline to apply for a Fall 2013 CCPDI internship is April 15.
CCPD Taking Professional Headshot Photos this Thursday & Friday, April 4 & 5
According to a recent study on LinkedIn profiles, your LinkedIn profile is seven times more likely to be viewed if you have a photo. When posting your profile photo, you should consider the message you wish to convey which is, "I"m a person you ought to be doing business with." The image you select will say a lot about you to potential networking contacts and hiring managers.
This Thursday and Friday , April 4 & 5 from 1:30pm to 4:00pm in LNG 322, the CCPD will offer a free photo booth where you can get a professional headshot appropriate for LinkedIn . Come professionally dressed and with a smile !
Summer Internship Funding Available for Undergraduate Students!
Sponsored by Binghamton’s campus food services provider, Sodexo, Inc., the Sodexo Internship Fund provides the opportunity for talented undergraduate students to secure financial support while completing an unpaid summer 2013 internship. Through the Fund, chosen students will receive a stipend of up to $5,000 to complete an unpaid internship. For more information about the application process and how to apply, visit the Sodexo Internship Fund webpage. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made on a rolling basis.
Sophomores Interested in International Relations & Global Affairs Should Consider
The JFEW-SUNY International Relations and Global Affairs Program, is a two-year program for sophomore students from Binghamton University who demonstrate a strong interest in a career in international affairs. The JFEW program includes two years of scholarship support (up to $5,000 each year), and a paid international affairs related internship in New York. Students from all backgrounds who match the criteria are encouraged to apply.
- Minimum GPA of 3.2
- U. S. citizens or eligible for citizenship
- Permanent residence must be in New York City or within a 50-mile radius thereof
- Entering their Junior Year in fall 2013
- Current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with their University's Office of Financial Aid. This FAFSA must establish that the student has demonstrated financial need.
- Preference is given to female applicants
The application deadline for the JFEW program is Friday, May 3, 2013, at 4:00 pm. For more information and the application please visit the JFEW pages on the CCPD website.
Mock Interview Program Available through the CCPD
For students who want to improve their interviewing skills, the CCPD offers a mock interview program. A practice interview is one of the best ways to prepare for an actual interview. It helps you to learn what is expected and how to improve the way you present yourself.
The CCPD's Mock Interview Program runs now through Friday, May 10 and will be held within the Center for Career and Professional Development. Each interview will be approximately 30 minutes in length, with 15-20 minutes for the interview and 10 minutes for feedback. Students can apply to the Mock Interview Program through eRecruiting. Search the "employers" field for "practice interview" and follow the instructions included in the position description. Space is limited, so apply early!
Upcoming CCPD Events
Virtual Career Fair, feautring New York's 4 SUNY University Centers: Wednesday, April 17, Online: http://newyork.careereco.net/
- Meet employers live in a virtual setting!
- Get interviews without ever leaving your computer
- Avoid waiting in long lines
- Save your valuable time by searching for a job online
- Meet employers searching for candidates with advanced degrees
- Register and upload your resume to automatically be entered into the gift card drawing
Writing Resume and Cover Letters
Writing Cover Letters: Wednesday, April 3, 4:00 PM-4:30 PM, UU 206
- Cover letters are more than assembly-line style merge documents! They must demonstrate genuine interest as well as your fit with their specific needs! Learn how to do cover letters the right way!
Resume Writing - Extreme Makeover Edition: Thursday, April 4, 4:30 PM-5:30 PM, UU 206
- Go beyond the basics! Learn how to take your resume to the next level to showcase the skills employers seek! Please bring a draft of your resume to this session!
Cover Letter Writing - Extreme Makeover Edition: Thursday, April 18, 4:30 PM-5:00 PM, UU 202
- Targeted cover letters get read. Generic letters get trashed. We'll show you how to approach cover letter writing to get results!
Resume Writing: Tuesday, April 23, 4:30 PM-5:00 PM, UU 206
- Write a resume that sells you as a candidate who has the skills and qualities employers seek!
Finding Jobs and Internships
CCPDI Fall 2013 Internship Information Session : Monday, April 8, 4:40 PM-5:40 PM & Tuesday, April 9, 4:30 PM-5:30 PM, UUW 324
- Learn how to apply and obtain credit for your FALL 2013 Internship! All sophomores and juniors are welcome to attend.
Securing Federal Employment Abroad : Thursday, April 11, 4:00 PM-5:00 PM, UU 202
- Want to see the world while serving your country? Join us for a discussion about the mission- critical, international positions in the government. Participants will hear from agency representatives and Partnership staff on a variety of international opportunities and how applicants can leverage language and technology skills to secure a coveted position abroad.
HELP! I'm Graduating and Need a job : Monday, April 22, 4:40 PM-5:40 PM, UU 102
- If you're graduating next month and don't yet have a short or long term plan in place, don't despair! There ARE opportunities out there! Come learn about options and resources you may not have yet discovered.
Career Plannign & Preparation
How NOT to End Up in a Nightmare Job : Thursday, April 11, 5:30 PM-6:30 PM, UUW 215
- This fun and interactive workshop will help you identify your career values and figure out what exactly you want in/from your future career - and what you don't - so you can be sure to NOT end up in a nightmare job!
Juniors: Start the Grad School Planning Process now : Friday, April 19, 2:20 PM-3:20 PM, UU 215
- If you're considering graduate or professional school, NOW is the time to begin planning! Discussion will include how to determine the best program and degree, steps in the application process, what graduate admissions expects, what makes a strong application, and tips on getting funding for graduate school.
Reflections from the Classroom, Teachers Tell Their Stories : Thursday, April 25, 4:00 PM-6:30 PM, UU 215
- Do you really know what teachers do? Or do you just have a vague idea of the teaching profession based on your experience as a student? Gain the information you need to make an informed career decision from educators in the field.
Presenting Yourself Professionally
CCPD Mock Interview Program: Ongoing - Apply and schedule a session through your eRecruiting account
- The best way to hone your interviewing skills is to practice! Sign up for a mock interview with a CCPD staff member through your eRecruiting account. Open to all majors and class years.
FREE LinkedIn Photo Booth!: Thursday, April 4 & April 5, 1:30 PM-4:00 PM, LNG 322
- Do you have a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile? LinkedIn data does show that profiles with images are seven times more likely to be viewed than those without one. The Ladders conducted a study and found that recruiters spend more time examining a LinkedIn user's picture than actually reviewing the person's qualifications. Come dressed in professional attire to have your photo taken!
Seriously Brilliant Interviewing with the Pappy Parker Players: Monday, April 8, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM, Hinman Commons
- Learn how to have a Seriously Brilliant Interview with the Pappy Parker Players and Wendy Neuberger from the Center for Career and Professional Development! We'll be using comedy to show you how to get serious about interviewing.
Preparing for an Interview: Monday, April 15, 5:50 PM-7:00 PM, UU 324
- Learn what critical steps to take BEFORE an interview to ensure success DURING the interview.
Build Your Professional Network
CCPD/Harpur College of Arts & Sciences Alumni - Student Networking Event: Friday, April 26, 3:00 PM-4:30 PM, C4 - Newing Commons
- An informal opportunity to meet Harpur alumni and explore career paths, job strategies and the value of the Liberal Arts and Sciences education. Refreshments will be provided.
Recruiting Updates: Check out the new job and Internship Postings
The CCPD posts new internships and full-time positions daily! Visit eRecruiting today to apply for positions! Be sure to regularly check your eRecruiting account for updated postings and deadlines. Recent postings include:
- Actuarial Intern, Harbridge Consulting Group, NY- Syracuse
- AMERICORPS: Healthy Lifestyle Associate with Cornell Cooperative Extension , Rural Health Service Corps (AmeriCorps), NY- Owego
- Health Care Research Analyst, Guidepoint Global, NY- New York
- Broome Energy Conservation Corps Internship, Cornel Cooperative Extension, NY- Binghamton
- Youth and Young Adult Coordinator, American Red Cross Southern Tier Chapter, NY- Binghamton
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal, Weitz & Luxenberg, P.C., NY- New York
- Commercial Lines Associate Underwriter, Broome Co-operative Insurance Company, NY- Vestal
- Candidate Services Liaison, New York City Campaign Finance Board, NY- New York
- Operations Assistant, New York Hotel Trades Council, NY- New York
- Program Development Internship Summer 2013, Civilian Complaint Review Board, NY- New York
- Community Development Internship & Conservation Research Internship, The Crees Foundation, Peru
- Internship, Ningbo Wencheng International Student Internship Inc., China
- Community Outreach and Grant Writer Internship Summer 2013, Civilian Complaint Review Board, NY- New York
- Litigation Support Assistant, Proskauer Rose LLP, MA- Boston
- Entrepreneurship Program Associate, ww.connectedu.com, MA- Boston
- Summer 2013 Planning Allocation Intern, Ricky’s NYC, NY- New York
- Grant Writer Internship Summer 2013, Civilian Compliance Review Board, NY- New York
- Counselor, Recreation Specialist, or Lifeguard, Camp Olmsted, NY- Cornwall on Hudson
- High School Teachers, Noble Network of Charter Schools, IL- Chicago
- Elementary School Teachers, Ithaca City School District, NY- Ithaca
- Corporate Communications Internship Job, SRC, NY- Syracuse
- Analyst Position, The Camden Group, NY- Rochester
- Social Media Summer Interns, Jupiterloop INc., NY- Binghamton
- Account Manager, IQPC, NY- New York
- Summer Internship, Avant Capital Partners, CT- Greenwich
- Accounting Bookkeeper- Part-time, Queens Medical Associates, NY- Fresh Meadows
- Business Analyst, iDEA Solutions, MI- Dearborn
- Accountant, eQuest Solutions, CA- El Segundo
- Financial Analyst, Ommeher Inc., CA- Milpitas
- Senior Forensic Accountant/Auditor, New York State Office of the Attorney General, NY- New York
- Associate, HML Capital Partners LLC, NY- New York
- Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant, Miller Financial Services, NY- Johnson City
- Summer Sales/Marketing Internship, Universities Directories, NY- Binghamton
- Marketing and Sales Intern, Qtech Solutions Inc., NJ- Somerset
- Marketing Specialist & Entrepreneur, Vonvo Inc., NY- Hicksville
- Summer 2013 Human Resources Internship, Hearst Magazines, Hearst Magazines, NY- New York
- Electrical Engineering Internship, Amphenol Aerospace Operations, NY- Sidney
- Engineering Internship, EJ, NY- Syracuse
- Mechanical Engineers, Detroit Engineered Products, MI- Troy
- Associate Engineer- Tool Development, Fabri-kal Corporation, Ml- Kalamazoo
- Software Engineer (Summer Internship), SRC, NY- Syracuse
- Associate Surface Mount Manufacturing Engineer, Vicor Corporation, MA- Andover
- Summer 2013 IT Intern, Ricky’s NYC, NY-New York
- Trade Administrator, Pantergra Retirement Services, NY- White Plains
- Senior Software Engineer, Right Response.LLC./SchoolStream , Beijing, China & MI- Rochester Hills
- Technology Summer Analyst, Investment Technology Group, NY- New York
- Desktop/Network Support, Pride Consulting, IL- Cary
- Network Engineer, Black Line Consulting, IL- Naperville
- Help Desk Analyst Level ½, Collabera, OH- Columbus
- Sr. Software Engineer (Bilingual), Canon U.S.A., Inc., CA- San Jose
- Desktop Architect/Desktop Engineer, Solugenix Corporation, CA- Pasadena
- Network Engineer, Parallel Partners, IL- Chicago
Employer Information Sessions
If you are conducting a job or internship search, Employer Information Sessions are a great way to learn about organizations, gather information about positions, and make all-important contacts in the world-of-work. Check the eRecruiting calendar regularly to learn more about future sessions. Upcoming on-campus information sessions include:
- 4/15 Peace Corps (6:00 PM - 7:00 PM, in UU 108)
- 4/26 U.S. Department of State (Time and Location- TDB)
"Like Us" on FACEBOOK and Follow Us on TWITTER
Stay up-to-date on Career Development Center events and services, participate in polls, and learn about current career-related issues through the CCPD Facebook Fan Page! Join us at www.facebook.com/Binghamton.CDC! You can also follow us on Twitter @ BinghamtonCDC.