Updates From the Center for Career and Professional Development
Visit the Center for Career and Professional Development During Summer Sessions
Starting Monday, May 20 the Center for Career and Professional Development will begin following its summer hours schedule. The office will be open to the public Monday to Friday from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Students in needs of assistance with career-related questions may meet with a career counselor on a walk-in basis during Counselor-On-Call hours. For more information about CCPD services, programs and events visit our website at http://cdc.binghamton.edu. COC hours are subject to change, please check the CCPD website to confirm office hours.
Have Your LinkedIn Professional Photo Taken this Thursday, May 9
Your LinkedIn profile is not complete without a professional photo. According to LinkedIn, profiles that have a professional-looking photo are 7-times more likely to be found and viewed in searches. In addition, an eye tracking heatmap study conducted by The Ladders showed that recruiters spend 19% of the total time they spend on your profile looking at your picture, followed by your current job position and education, with significantly less time spent on your skills, specialties or older work experiences.
If you don't already have a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile, this Thursday, May 9 from 1:00 - 3:00 PM, the Center for Career and Professional Development will be taking professional headshots outside the entrance of the University Bookstore. Come dressed in your professional attire and with a smile.
Make the Most of Summer Break, Focus on Career Development
Summer break is an opportune time to reflect on your short-term and long-term career plans. Career development is voluntary and self-driven, so take charge and be responsible for the choices and opportunities available to you! Start by making a list of reasonable summer goals, which could include:
- Strengthening your resume by updating it with any new experiences. Look over your resume, make sure it's professional, and have it reviewed by others.
- Exploring and narrowing down your major and career options. Investigate career opportunities and what is required to break into those fields.
- Networking. Conduct informational interviews and meet people that can help you achieve your career goals. Job-shadow someone in a field of interest for a day or more to gain an understanding of the profession. Tap into the networks of your family and friends to develop relationships with professionals and generate other leads. Listen to what advice they have to offer.
- Interning. Learn as much as you can by completing a relevant internship. Use this opportunity to develop skills, build a professional network, and learn about the world of work. It's not too late to find a summer internship! Search links for internship opportunities on the CCPD website, in eRecruiting, and other external internship-search sites such as idealist.org, etc.
- Summer Job. Make the most of a summer job. Every experience has the potential to be valuable. Regardless of the position, take pride in your work, do it to the best of your abilities, ask questions, and hone skills.
- Volunteering. Make it meaningful and try to take on as many projects and opportunities as possible. Volunteer opportunities are a great way to develop your transferable skills and expand your network.
- Developing and practicing your business etiquette, including basic manners, interviewing skills, and answers to common interview questions.
- Growing your online presence. Don't just sit around Facebook and Twitter "chatting it up" with your friends. Change it up and take a chance by following someone who's not part of your circle. Create or fill out your LinkedIn profile and expand your network of contacts.
- Staying up-to-date with current events. Employers expect students to know what is happening around them. Read the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal. Discuss the news and your interests with your friends and family, and develop strong opinions.
CCPDI 200 -- Summer Session-1 Course Explores Majors and Careers
Still undecided about a major or uncertain of your career path? Make the most of your college experience and effectively prepare for your future career by signing up for this summer session career development course!
In summer session 1: (May 28 to June 28, 2013), the online course, “Bridging Academics to Careers: Exploring Opportunities in a Global Society” (CCPDI 200) will be offered. This 2 credit course satisfies the “W” requirement.
Create a purposeful plan by becoming well informed and therefore more confident about how you will utilize your college experience! To learn more about the course including objectives, topics, required materials, how you will be graded, and more visit the course webpage on the Center for Career and Professional Development's website.
Summer Internship Funding Available for Undergraduate Students!
Sponsored by Binghamton’s campus food services provider, Sodexo, Inc., the Sodexo Internship Fund provides the opportunity for talented undergraduate students to secure financial support while completing an unpaid summer 2013 internship. Through the Fund, chosen students will receive a stipend of up to $5,000 to complete an unpaid internship. For more information about the application process and how to apply, visit the Sodexo Internship Fund webpage. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made on a rolling basis.
Upcoming CCPD Events
Build Your Professional Network
FREE LinkedIn Photo Booth!: Thursday, May 9, 1:00 PM-3:00 PM, Bookstore Entrance
- Do you have a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile? LinkedIn data does show that profiles with images are seven times more likely to be viewed than those without one. The Ladders conducted a study and found that recruiters spend more time examining a LinkedIn user's picture than actually reviewing the person's qualifications. Come dressed in professional attire to have your photo taken!
*** MARK YOUR CALENDAR ***
- Thursday, September 19 * 11:00 AM-3:30 PM * Events Center
- Tuesday, October 1 * 11:30 AM-3:00 PM * Mandela Room & Old Union Hall
- Wednesday, October 2 * 11:00 AM-2:00 PM * Mandela Room & Old Union Hall
Recruiting Updates: Check out the new job and Internship Postings
The CCPD posts new internships and full-time positions daily! Visit eRecruiting today to apply for positions! Be sure to regularly check your eRecruiting account for updated postings and deadlines. Recent postings include:
- Canvasser, Field Manager, and Campaign Organizer (summer positions), Fund for Public Interest, NY- New York
- Economic Research Analyst, US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, DC- Washington
- NYC Parks Fellowships & Conservation Corps Program, City of New York, NY- New York
- Recruitment Intern, Michael Page International, NY- New York
- Environmental Planner, Delaware County Planning Department, NY- Delhi
- Database Administrator, SmartBear Software, FL- Pompano Beach
- Administrative Coordinator- Community Management, Balfour Beauty Investments, PA- Newtown Square
- Program Administrator, Health & Wellness Partners, NJ- Ramsey
- Student Affairs Internship, South University, GA- Savannah
- Intern, Sageworks, Inc., NY- New York
- Cell Culture Technologist, Chan Test Corp., OH- Cleveland
- Executive Assistant, TEDMED, CT- Stamford
- Summer Intern, UPS, NJ- Paramus
- HR Assistant, Amazon, KY- Hebron
- Assistant Manager- Brooklyn Center, Arc's Value Village, NY- Brooklyn Center
- Bill Thompson for Mayor Campaign Internship, Bill Thompson for Mayor, NY- New York
- Entrepreneurship Program Associate, www.connectedu.com, multi-location
- Special Education Teacher- Primary Autism Program, Ithaca City School District, NY- Ithaca
- Paid Teaching English Internship in Spain & London, Spain-Internship
- Middle School Mathematics Teacher, Carmel Academy, CT- Greenwich
- Social Studies Teacher, Ithaca City School District, NY- Ithaca
- Public Health Nurse, U.S. Army Medical Corps
- Human Resources Coordinator, American Civil Liberties Union Foundation, NY- New York
- Financial Consultant, AXA Advisors/AXA Equitable, NY- Clifton Park
Marketing Assistant Internship, Robilotti Fine Jewelers Inc., NY- Binghamton
- Trading Floor Internship, T3 Trading Group, LLC, NY- New York
- Sales Operations Analyst, OneWire, NY- New York
- Business Focused College Grad, Rehab Alternatives, NY- Jericho
- Telco Analyst, Linium, NY- Albany
- Administrative Coordinator- Community Management, Balfour Beatty
- Investments, PA- Newtown Square
- Program Administrator, Health & Wellness Partners, NJ- Ramsey
- Account Coordinator, Brown & Brown Metro, Inc., NJ- Florham Park
- Account Manager- Marketing, Dynamic Quest Inc, NC- Greensboro
- Consultant- US, Infosys, Multi-location
- Fusion Financials, Doyen Business Solutions, CA- Los Angeles
- Business Development Manager, Cloud Economics and TCO, Amazon, WA- Seattle
- Middleware Consultant, Red Hat, Inc., MA- Westford
- HR Assistant, Amazon, KY- Hebron
- Amazon Payments Account Manager, Amazon, WA- Seattle
- Engineer- Mechanical, Mattel, NY- New York
- Mechanical Engineer Intern- Summer 2013, Mattel, NY- New York
- Consultant- Java Developer, Deloitte, VA- Arlington
- Civil Engineering Intern, City of New York, NY- Queens
- AT&T Technical Development Programs, AT&T, Nationwide
- Engineer, Controls, Thomas Engineering, IL- Hoffman Estates
- Network Engineer, Robert Half Technology, LA- Baton Rouge
- Associate Engineer- Product Development, Fabri-Kal Corporation, MI- Kalamazoo
- IT Intern, Guida's Milk, CT- New Britain
- Web Developer, Meadow Search, Ltd, IL- Arlington Heights
"Like Us" on FACEBOOK and Follow Us on TWITTER
Stay up-to-date on Career Development Center events and services, participate in polls, and learn about current career-related issues through the CCPD Facebook Fan Page! Join us at www.facebook.com/Binghamton.CDC! You can also follow us on Twitter @ BinghamtonCDC.