Exploring Entrepreneurship Week
March 14-18, 2016
Interested in entrepreneurship? Want to learn more about starting and funding your
own business or organization? Attend interactive Exploring Entrepreneurship Week programs
to learn about a variety of topics, ask questions at panels, and engage and connect
with alumni and other entrepreneurs! Events will take place across campus and are
open to all majors. RSVP's requested for each event in hireBING.
Programming is sponsored by the Office of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Partnerships, Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development, Alumni Association, Harpur Edge, CCPA Career and Professional Services, and the Binghamton University Art Museum.
Calendar of Events
MONDAY, March 14
- Meet Andy Horowitz, '89: How an Experimental Response to a College Assignment Took me to 40 Countries
5-6 p.m.; UU209
Join Andy Horowitz for an inspirational conversation about being an entrepreneur. Ask him all your questions about being a performer, starting a successful dance company, or being a multi-media sensation! Andy is co-founder and executive director of the dance company, Galumpha. Over a 25-year professional career Andy has performed his choreographic works at more than three thousand venues in thirty countries. He has been a featured performer on CBS's Late Night with David Letterman, on the A&E Network's Caroline's Comedy Hour, MTV, HBO, Canada's Musique Plus, Germany's ARTE Network, NTV Japan, The BBC and Madrid's Telecinqo.
- Start-Up Expo
3-6 p.m.; Rotunda, ITC Building
Come meet start-up entrepreneurs from the region as they table about their organizations. Ask questions, learn about their innovations, and find out about potential internship opportunities. Stop by the Small Business Development Center for tips on starting your own company. Hop on the Blue Bus to the ITC building to engage in this event. RSVP required.
InfraSonic Monitoring Inc.
MicroEnvironmental Control, Inc.
Hungry Hound Beer Grain Dog Treats
The Agency Broome CountyIDA/LDC
Coventry Body Care LLC
Loop Rewards Inc.
TUESDAY, March 15
- Careers in Real Estate Panel
4:30-5:30 p.m.; UU133A
Interested in exploring careers in residential or commercial real estate or development? Enjoy a panel discussion with professionals in the field at this interactive event. Ask questions, make connections, and learn how to break into the industry. Panelists include:
Alon Eckhaus, Owner, Lion Ocean Group
- Kelly Draper, Director of Relocation & Business Development, Warren Real Estate
- Mark Yonati, Real Estate Development Professional
- Penny Pelletier, Real Estate Agent, Warren Realty
- Launch to Greatness Live Podcast and Q&A with Dan Mori and Shailesh Upreti 6-7:30 p.m.; UU133A
Join Dan Mori as he interviews Shailesh Upreti, founder of Charge CCCV, about his start, business, and tips for new entrepreneurs. Add your questions to the mix, and stay after to chat with Dan and Shailesh. The session will be recorded and used for Dan’s monthly Launch to Greatness podcast.
Wednesday, march 16
- CANCELLED for this week
Harpur Edge Idea Pitch
6-8 p.m.; UU209
Watch as entrepreneurial teams compete to win funding for their start-up! Teams will pitch their ideas in front of the live audience and the judges will give them valuable feedback before deciding whose idea wins the funding. To submit your business idea, visit http://www.binghamton.edu/harpur/edge/heideapitch.html
THURSDAY, march 17
- Sage Francis: Performer, Entrepreneur and Introvert
5-6:30 p.m.; UU133A
What does it take to succeed in the music industry? Join spoken word and hip-hop artist, Sage Francis for an interactive session, and ask him all your questions about being a performer, starting a record label, or touring the world!
FRIDAY, march 18
- Artists as Entrepreneurs Panel
11 a.m-12:30 p.m.; Binghamton University Art Museum
Artists of all kinds (performing, studio, graphic, etc.) are required to advocate for themselves to become successful. Understanding how to be entrepreneurial is an essential part of being a professional in the arts. This interactive panel gives you the opportunity to meet artists of many backgrounds and professions, ask them questions about their careers, learn tips on how to succeed, and build important professional connections. The panel will be moderated by Laura Knochen-Davis, executive director of the Broome County Arts Council and business instructor at SUNY Broome. Panelists include:
- Ann Rose, Designer and Project manager at Ann Rose Design & Strategy
- Santino DeAngelo, '13, Playwright, Composer/Lyricist, and Commercial Producer
- John Brunelli, '97, Director of Anthony Brunelli Fine Arts, and Independent Artist
- Alisha Brunelli, '01, Owner of Kapow! Art Studio, Instructor at Binghamton University, and Independent Artist
- Naima Kradjian, CEO of Goodwill Theatre
- Starting Your Non-Profit or Social Entrepreneurship Venture
2:30-3:30 p.m.; Symposium Hall, ITC
Starting a non-profit or social entrepreneurship venture takes a great deal of planning and foresight. Meet with professionals who own or run these organizations at this interactive panel. Ask them questions, learn how the process works, and forge lasting professional connections. Hop on the Blue Bus to the ITC Building to engage in this event. Panelists include:
- Charlie Mulligan, CEO of GiveGab, Inc.
- Christina Muscatello, '08, Co-founder of The Memory Maker Project
- Diane Brown, '74, MA '02, Executive Director of the Community Foundation of South Central New York
- Ask the Entrepreneurs Panel
3:30-4:30 p.m.; Symposium Hall, ITC
Take this unique opportunity to ask questions about starting a business, how to succeed as an entrepreneur, and how to learn from your mistakes. Several industries will be represented at this interactive event, giving you the opportunity to learn first-hand what it takes to become an entrepreneur. Stay after the panel to chat with the panelists and other entrepreneurs from the region at the Meet the Entrepreneurs Event (separate RSVP requested). Hop on the Blue Bus to the ITC Building to engage in this event. This panel will be moderated by Ken McLeod, Entrepreneur in Residence at Binghamton University. Panelists include:
- Jared Bowling, President and COO of LightSpin Technologies
- Jon Layish, '91, President of Red Barn Technology
- Kristen Lyons, '05, Co-owner of Binghamton Brewing Co.
- Charlie Mulligan, CEO of GiveGab, Inc.
- Meet the Entrepreneurs Reception
4:30-6 p.m.; COE 2011, Center for Excellence, ITC
Join entrepreneurs from a variety of industries to build professional relationships, ask questions about starting or running your own venture, and learn from the pros! This event is a terrific opportunity to gain insight into potential careers in a relaxed atmosphere. Students must RSVP in hireBING (click on Calendar, then date and event). Alumni and other entrepreneurs are requested to RSVP here. Business Professional attire is required. Refreshments will be served. Hop on the Blue Bus to the ITC Building to engage in this event.