Skip header content and main navigation Binghamton University, State University of New York - Cice
Photograph of students on campus


Non-Matriculated Students

Non-matriculated students (also called “Continuing Education” or “non-degree” students) are those who aren’t enrolled in a degree-earning program. Continuing Education graduate students are allowed to take undergraduate courses. Understanding what your status is as a non-matriculated student (potential, continuing or returning student) will help guide you to your next step in the academic process at Binghamton. Non-matriculated students can register for classes in winter and summer sessions, as well as fall and spring terms.

Financial aid for non-matriculated undergraduate and graduate students is limited; please see for more information.

Are You a Visiting Student?

Students attending and in good standing at other colleges or universities who wish to take credit-bearing courses at Binghamton University may apply as a visiting (Continuing Education) student. Please contact the Continuing Education Advising office with any questions.

Undergraduate Education

Non-matriculated students who need pre-requisites for admission into the Decker School of Nursing, School of Management or the Watson School, MAY be eligible for government loans.

Non-matriculated students interested in Harpur College or Human Development (HDEV) within the College of Community and Public Affairs are not eligible for Federal loans, because applicants for matriculation are either admitted into one of those colleges or not admitted. Non-matriculated students interested in Harpur or HDEV can apply for private/alternative loans.

Non-matriculated students who are the equivalent of freshmen are not eligible to receive loans as a non-matriculated student.

Potential student: a person desiring to take classes for the first time at Binghamton University. If you’re a potential student, you:

Continuing student: a student who has taken courses at Binghamton before may continue taking classes part-time (4–11 credits) or full time (12 credits). If you’re a continuing student, you:

Returning student: a non-degree seeking student who has previously taken classes at Binghamton, but not within the last major semester. If you’re a returning student, you:

After the admissions process has been completed for potential and returning students, you’ll receive a letter of acceptance from admissions. This letter will include your “B-Number,” which will be your primary student identification number throughout your time at Binghamton. Later, you’ll receive an e-mail containing a temporary personal identification number (PIN). You’ll need your B-Number and PIN to access all online University systems (including registration, grades and more). You must then make an appointment with the Continuing Education Advising office.

Graduate Education

If you have a bachelor's degree and want to take graduate or undergraduate courses without pursuing a graduate degree:

You must apply for admission to the Graduate School, and you must be formally admitted before you can register for summer courses.

Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 1/30/14