Applying to a Degree Program

Undergraduate Students

As a Continuing Education (non-degree or non-matriculated) student, one of your options is to transfer into a degree program (become a matriculated student), provided you meet the University’s admissions requirements. Binghamton University has a 24-credit hour limit for Continuing Education students. Credits earned as a Continuing Education student may be transferred to a degree program if approved by a representative of the appropriate dean within the school of your choice.

If your goal is to matriculate into a degree program, a Continuing Education advisor will work with you to design an educational plan. Your personalized educational plan becomes an extremely valuable tool to help position you for matriculation into a degree-granting program at Binghamton or elsewhere.

Keep in mind that standards for admissions to be a degree candidate at Binghamton vary significantly from standards used for admission as a Continuing Education student. You may wish to consult an admission counselor, an academic advisor or a representative of the appropriate dean to discuss the specifics of admission or an academic program. We also encourage you to review the Transfer Admission section of the Binghamton University Bulletin.

Important information if you wish to transfer into a undergraduate degree program

  1. The semester before your 24-credit limit completion, apply to the school of your choice. Visit the Admissions website for details.
  2. Get information about transferring credits for Harpur College of Arts and Science.
  3. The Binghamton University Bulletin and the University’s schools and colleges webpage provide information about our different schools and colleges.

Graduate Students 

If you already have a bachelor's degree, and you decide that you would like to pursue a graduate degree or certificate at Binghamton University, the Graduate School welcomes your application.

Admission to a graduate degree program or certificate requires an application to the Graduate School, formal acceptance and enrollment. Review our graduate programs.

Please be aware that taking courses as a non-matriculated student does not guarantee admission to a degree-granting program. However, depending on the curriculum requirements of a program, some courses taken as a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree. 

Non-degree credit limits and transferring credits: Non-degree graduate students may take up to 12 credits total, through some academic department and schools limit that number further. Any credits taken beyond the 12-credit limits as a non-degree student will not be counted toward earning a degree, should you later matriculate into a graduate degree program. Any credits taken beyond 8 will not be counted toward earning a certificate, should you later gain admission to a certificate program. View the Graduate School Manual for details.

Last Updated: 8/13/15