Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How competitive is the placement process and what criteria is used for placing students?
    The NSE coordinator will determine whether you are eligible to be placed on exchange. The general eligibility requirements include: 2.5 cumulative GPA, full-time enrollment at time of application and term prior to exchange (excluding summer) and maintaining good academic, social and financial standing at Binghamton. Placements are based on spaces available.

  2. How do I pay tuition on NSE?
    Tuition and fees are assessed at the resident (in-state) rate of your host campus (Plan A) or at Binghamton's rate (Plan B). If you pay the host school's tuition and fees (Plan A), then you will apply for financial aid through the host school. If you pay Binghamton's tuition and fees (Plan B), then you will apply for financial aid at Binghamton as usual. Plan B students will pay Student Accounts at the usual payment time. Each campus determines which of these tuition and fee plans, A, B or both, can be used by incoming exchange students at their institution.

  3. How do I determine what the expenses will be for exchange?
    Students must pay a one-time application fee of $150 at the time of application. This application fee is not refundable once we attempt to place you. Some host campuses may assess an institution application fee and/or NSE activity/orientation fee. Housing, meals, books, insurance, etc. are paid at the host school. Students accepted on Plan A also pay host school resident tuition to the host school. Plan B students pay their regular tuition and fees to Student Accounts at Binghamton. You should consult the NSE website for information regarding the host university, such as the most current costs for tuition, fees, housing, meals, transportation, books, etc.

  4. Can I use my financial aid to help pay for tuition and other costs?
    Yes, you can be packaged for financial aid to cover tuition and other exchange expenses. If you are placed on Plan B, you will pay Binghamton's tuition and fees and Binghamton will disburse your financial aid (including state, institutional and federal aid for qualified students). If you are placed on Plan A, you will pay the host school's tuition and the host school will package you, usually for federal financial aid only (i.e. Pell Grant and Stafford Loan).

  5. How and when do I register for classes at the host school?
    Once you are placed at the host school, the NSE coordinator from that school will send information that may contain instructions, admission forms, housing information and class registration material. Make sure that you take advantage of meeting the important deadlines for registration and housing.

  6. Where do I live while on exchange?
    Many students choose to live on campus at the host school because it is easier to get connected to services and build community when you are living in campus residence halls. If you decide to live off campus, many host campuses provide some assistance for locating off-campus housing and that assistance will be indicated on the NSE website. Note that there are a few campuses that do not have any on-campus housing available.

  7. How do grades transfer back to Binghamton and will the grades impact my GPA?
    At the completion of your exchange, you should request that an official transcript be sent from the host school to the appropriate advising office at Binghamton (transcripts are NOT sent automatically). All coursework will be considered for transfer credit by your academic advising office. They can fulfill Gen Eds and major requirements, but your grades while on exchange will NOT affect your GPA at Binghamton.

  8. What is the course approval process for my major and Gen Ed courses?
    Each school handles their course approval slightly differently. See below for specifics for each school. If you have further questions, contact the appropriate advising office.

    Harpur –

    SOM –

    CCPA –

    Watson –

    DSON – In general, DSON students cannot participate in NSE. though it may be possible if you are fulfilling general education courses. Contact the advising office to see if an exchange would be possible.

  9. Are there time limits for exchange?
    Yes. An exchange is limited to one calendar year in total but not necessarily consecutive terms. Exchange beyond the equivalent of one calendar year is not permitted.

  10. Can I exchange with a friend(s)?
    Yes. Students can be linked in pairs of groups for placement, even if they are from different NSE participating institutions.

  11. Can I work while exchanging to another school?
    Yes, but we advise students not to depend on jobs to fund an exchange. We cannot guarantee that you will find a job, or that it will pay you enough to meet your expenses at the host school.

  12. Does NSE allow me to establish residency at the host school?
    No. Students participating in NSE are considered visiting students and cannot establish residency at the host school while on exchange. Students contemplating transfer to the host school must realize that non-resident tuition will be paid at the host site, (often for one academic year after the exchange is completed) along with a host of other requirements established by the state to which the student transfers. Students are strongly advised to check with that host school's admissions office to review all transfer requirements.

  13. Can I talk to other students who participated in the program?
    Yes. You can find and contact other NSE students, both former and present, through the campus NSE coordinator.

  14. Where can I find a catalog for the host school(s)?
    Most NSE campuses will have their catalogs available online. You can find links to all NSE campuses on the NSE website:

  15. When will I find out whether I'm accepted to the host school?
    Qualified students are placed at the NSE Placement Conference in early March. Once the NSE coordinator returns from the conference, an e-mail will be sent out. You will then need to stop by the NSE office to complete the Placement Acceptance Form for the host university.

  16. What if I change my mind?
    It is possible to change your mind about going on exchange or changing the host location, but we caution you to make the initial decision to participate carefully, so that you sign the acceptance agreement with confidence. You may cancel your exchange at anytime (although there may be host school deposits you would forfeit).

  17. Where do I go for more information?
    More information is available in the NSE office in the CIW Library, room 111.

Return to Previous Page

Last Updated: 7/23/15