Tina ChronopoulosAssistant Professor of Classics and Medieval Studies PhD, University of London Office: LT1105 Phone: 607.777.6709
Office hours spring 2016: Wednesdays, 4:40-6:40pm
and by appointment
My research focuses on medieval Latin literature written during the 11th-12th centuries. Besides my engagement with hagiography, I am particularly interested in what happened to Classical authors in the Middle Ages, who read them and why. I wrote my doctoral thesis on the Latin Passion of St Katherine of Alexandria (BHL 1663), collecting all available information about the manuscripts and St Katherine's cult in order to date and locate its composition. I am currently working on a medieval schoolroom commentary on Horace's Odes: my approach is to study closely the kinds of didactic choices made by the teacher, in combination with an examination of the kinds of sources he made use of to write his commentary, in order to better understand the formation of medieval students and thus future teachers, churchmen, and intellectuals.
None scheduled at the moment.
- 'The Ethics of Horace: a twelfth-century schoolroom commentary on Horace's Odes', Viator 46.3 (2015), 61-94.
- 'The date and place of composition of the Passion of St Katherine of Alexandria (BHL 1663), Analecta Bollandiana 130 (2012), 40-88.
- 'Brief lives of Sidonius, Symmachus, and Fulgentius written in 12th-cent. England?, Journal of Medieval Latin 20 (2010), 232-91.
Essay in edited collection
- 'Reading Sidonius in the medieval period', in Prolegomena to Sidonius Apollinaris, ed. G. Kelly and J. van der Waarden, Peeters' Late Antique History and Religion series, forthcoming in 2016.
Reviews & encyclopedia entries
- Review of Juanita Feros Ruys, John O. Ward, Melanie Heyworth (ed.), 'The Classics in the Medieval and Renaissance Classroom: The Role of Ancient Texts in the Arts Curriculum as Revealed by Surviving Manuscripts and Early Printed Books' (2013), for Bryn Mawr Classical Review, 32.03.2014
- Review of N. Holzberg, 'Horaz: Dichter und Werk' (2009), for Bryn Mawr Classical Review, 14.03.2010.
- Review of H. Waddell, 'Mediaeval Latin Lyrics, w. an introduction by J. Scattergood' (2008), for The Medieval Review, 18.02.2010.
- Review of C.M. Chin, 'Grammar and Christianity in the Late Roman World' (2008), for The Catholic Historical Review 95.4 (2009), 781-782.
- Review of C. Walsh, 'The cult of St Katherine of Alexandria in Early Medieval Europe' (2007), for Early Medieval Europe 17.2 (2009), 231-32.
- Entries on Aimon of Fleury, Alberic of Aix-La-Chapelle, Alphanus, Gennadius I, Hugh of Fleury, John of Alta Silva, Peter the Deacon, Saint-Quentin, Stephen of Rouen, and Vegius, for The Oxford Dictionary of the Middle Ages, ed. Robert E. Bjork (2010).
- Advanced Latin: Horace's Odes/Catullus' Poems (LAT381H)
- Beginning Ancient Greek I (GRK 101)
- Beginning Ancient Greek II (GRK 102)
- Elementary Latin I (LAT 101)
- Elementary Latin II (LAT 102)
- Eternal Cities: Rome and Pompeii (CLAS 280E)
- Greek and Roman Biography (CLAS 212)
- Intermediate Latin (LAT 203)
- Introduction to Medieval and Early Modern Studies (MDVL 101)
Recent or Current Graduate Courses
- History of the Book: from parchment to the printing press (MDVL 560A)
- Medieval Latin Literature (MDVL 561i)