Cap & Gown
Cap and Gown Distribution
Pre-ordered caps and gowns will be available for pick up beginning Monday, May 6. If you did not pre-order your cap and gown, do not worry! There will be plenty of extras available for purchase. If you are borrowing a cap and gown, this is the time to take it to the bookstore for approval.
You will not receive guest tickets with your cap and gown. Go to the Ticket page to learn how to claim guest tickets >>
Spring 2013 Pricing
- Undergraduate package (cap, gown, tassel and stole): $70.00
- Masters package (cap, gown, tassel and hood): $85.00
- Doctoral package (tam, gown and short tassel): $130.00
- Doctoral hoods will be awarded at the ceremony
- Souvenir tassel: $6.00 (when purchased separately)
- Stole of Gratitude: $25.00 (when purchased separately)
Live outside the Binghamton area?
If you will not be in Binghamton during cap and gown distribution (study abroad, internship, graduated in summer, etc.), consider the following options for getting your cap and gown and guest tickets:
- Ask a friend who lives on campus or locally to pick up your cap and gown for you
- If you choose this option, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your friend’s name and that you are designating him/her to pick up your regalia
- The Commencement Office will notify the bookstore
- Make sure your friend brings photo ID, a list of your sizes and payment to the bookstore
- Arrange for shipment of your cap and gown package
- Contact the University Bookstore at 607-777-2745 to make arrangements
- You will be responsible for shipping costs
Things to know about caps and gowns
Commencement is going GREEN
Graduates will be wearing environmentally-friendly caps and gowns. The caps and gowns are made from Repreve, a yarn made from 100% recycled materials. And, there’s an added bonus: Unifi, the company who makes Repreve, will donate a portion of its sales to environmental causes that you help choose. Here’s how it works: When you purchase your cap and gown at the University Bookstore, locate the code inside the hang tag. Then, go to http://www.repreve.com to vote for the cause you’d like to receive a portion of Unifi’s annual donation.
Does my tassel go on the left or the right?
An undergraduate student should wear his/her tassel on the right side of the mortarboard prior to the conferral of degrees at the ceremony. The University president will tell you during the ceremony when you can move your tassel from the right to the left.
Can I use a friend's cap and gown?
Undergraduate students at Binghamton University wear green bachelor’s gowns and mortarboards at Commencement. The gown should fall to just above the ankle. If you have a green gown from a previous ceremony that you would like to use, you are welcome to do so, but you must obtain approval through the University Bookstore. Approval is at the discretion of the bookstore. If approved, you will be given guest tickets by University Bookstore staff.
Stole of Gratitude
A stole of gratitude or memory stole is worn during the University Commencement in tribute to someone who has helped him or her toward earning a degree. The stole is a required piece of the undergraduate cap and gown ensemble.