Commencement Day Details
The following instructions are for both graduate and undergraduate students.
- Give your guests their tickets.
- Arrive at the Events Center one hour prior to your ceremony with your cap and gown.
- Do not bring personal belongings with you. If you do, bring them with you when you go up on stage.
- Enter the Events Center through the east entrance toward the back. There will be signs and volunteers directing you to where you need to be.
- Check in at the appropriate table and claim your name card.
- Proceed to the student line-up area. Find your school/department flag and stand behind it.
- Want to sit next to a friend? Make sure you stand in front of or behind your friend in line – not next to him/her. Doctoral students, line up behind your advisor.
- When you arrive at your seat, do not sit down until instructed to do so.
- During the ceremony, follow the instructions of the volunteers which will help you seat where you need to be.
- As you cross the stage, hand your name card to the reader, then shake hands with the president and your dean.
- At the end of the ceremony, the stage will leave first, then the marshals, then students from front to back.
- The ceremony should last approximately two hours.
- After the ceremony ends, arrange to meet your family outside of the Events Center. Photographers will be outside to catch your candid celebrations!