Graduating Student Ceremony Instructions
The following instructions are for both graduate and undergraduate students.
Before you arrive on campus:
- Give your guests their tickets
- Leave all personal belongings with family/friends
- Make sure you have your cap, gown, tassel and
- Stole of gratitude (white sash) - undergraduates only
- Hood - Master's students only - doctoral hoods will be presented at the hooding ceremony
Arrive on campus:
- Report to the student check-in area behind the stage in the Events Center one hour prior to your ceremony start time. Enter in front of Events Center.
- Check in with staff and receive your name card.
- You must remain in the staging area after you have signed in.
- Line up behind your school flag.
- Do not leave personal items behind; the space will not be secured during the ceremony.
Processional (entering ceremony):
- Approximately 30 minutes prior to the ceremony start time, you will begin to line up in two columns.
- If there is a friend you wish to sit with, make sure he/she is directly behind or in front of you in line (not across from you).
- Doctoral students should stand in line behind their faculty advisor.
- Move to your seat, but do not sit until directed to do so by the grand marshal.
- By school, students will be directed to approach the stage.
- Hand your name card to the commencement reader.
- All students walk across the stage, shake hands and get photographed with the dean and the president.
- You will receive a diploma cover at Commencement, and diplomas will be mailed 6-8 weeks following Commencement.
- After exiting the stage, you will have a professional photograph taken which will be available for you to purchase (commencement photos).
- Return to your seat, but remain standing until you are instructed to be seated by your school's dean.
Recessional (leaving ceremony):
- When it is time to leave the Events Center, everyone on stage will leave first.
- Marshals will leave next.
- Students will be excused from each row, front to back.
- You will be led out the same way you entered, through the tunnel at the rear of the Events Center.
- Plan to meet your guests outside after the completion of the recessional; do not break the line and head into the audience.