Graduation checklist: It's as easy as 1-2-3
1. Application for Degree
The Application for Degree is a required form that notifies the University of a student's intent to fulfill his/her degree requirements at the end of the current semester.
Undergraduate Application for Degree (AFD)
- Spring 2014 applications must be submitted no later than Friday, March 28, to guarantee inclusion in the spring 2014 Commencement program.
- The undergraduate AFD is on BU BRAIN, under the Student tab
- The AFD will list May 18, 2014 as your graduation date. This may or may not be the same day as your ceremony. See the Schedule of Events for your ceremony date and time.
Graduate Application for Degree (GAFD)
- The Spring 2014 Graduate Application for Degree (GAFD) is available on the Graduate School website. Deadline: May 5, 2014
- Spring 2014 GAFDs must be submitted no later than Monday, April 7, to guarantee inclusion in the spring 2014 Commencement program.
2. Commencement Participation Form (CPF)
Participating in Commencement activities is optional and does not guarantee graduation. To be considered a Binghamton University graduate, you must complete the Application for Degree and satisfy all your degree requirements. If you would like to participate in Spring 2014 Commencement, you must complete the Commencement Participation Form (CPF). Deadline: April 25, 2014
Successful submission of the online CPF form:
- Reserves your seat and your guests' tickets for Commencement
- Makes you eligible to purchase a cap and gown
- Adds you to the online ticket system
3. Cap and gown
4. Submit the senior survey (for undergraduates only)
All graduating seniors should complete the senior survey. Be sure to select the right one for your school:
Optional: Petition to Walk (for undergraduates only)
Undergraduate students who will complete their degree requirements during summer 2014 may petition to walk in a spring 2014 ceremony. Deadline: April 25, 2014
To be approved, the following criteria must be met:
- 12 or fewer credits remaining to fulfill degree requirements AND completing these
credits during the next major term
- This information will be verified through DARS
- Any discrepancies within DARS must be resolved between the student and academic advisor
Exceptions may be made in the following circumstances:
- Military or family necessity
- International student returning to home country
- Extraordinary personal circumstances