Chinese Language Summer Camp for 6-12th Graders
Sounds of China: STARTALK Learn Chinese Through Beijing Opera Performance
Offered by Binghamton University, Sponsored by the STARTALK Program
Dates: TBA (2015) Times: TBA (2015) Place: BU campus
What is "Sounds of China"?
"Sounds of China" is a unique summer camp offered by Binghamton University for students entering grades 6-12 that teaches Chinese language through a focus on learning Beijing opera (Peking opera). Campers learn Chinese and engage in Chinese culture-themed arts and crafts in the mornings, and learn Beijing opera in the afternoons while using their recently acquired language skills. No other summer camp in the U.S. offers this unique and exciting opportunity!
- FREE of charge!
- Ideal for students with the equivalent of a year or less of Chinese language background - in fact, no previous knowledge of Chinese required
- Learn to read and write basic Chinese characters
- Converse in basic Chinese with teachers and classmates
- Experience and learn for yourself many aspects of Beijing opera, including its style of stage combat, costumes, character types, singing, distinctive face-painting style, history and movements
- Make fun, Chinese-culture-themed arts and crafts
- Lunch is provided
- Show off your Beijing opera skills at an exciting final performance on the last day of camp