Chinese Language Summer Camp for 6-12th Graders
Sounds of China: STARTALK Learn Chinese Through Beijing Opera Performance
Offered by Binghamton University, Sponsored by the STARTALK Program
Dates: July 28 - August 15, 2014 Times: M-F, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Place: BU campus
What is "Sounds of China"?
"Sounds of China" is a unique summer camp offered by Binghamton University for students entering grades 6-12 that teaches Chinese language through a focus on learning Beijing opera (Peking opera). Campers learn Chinese and engage in Chinese culture-themed arts and crafts in the mornings, and learn Beijing opera in the afternoons while using their recently acquired language skills. No other summer camp in the U.S. offers this unique and exciting opportunity!
- FREE of charge!
- Ideal for students with the equivalent of a year or less of Chinese language background - in fact, no previous knowledge of Chinese required
- Learn to read and write basic Chinese characters
- Converse in basic Chinese with teachers and classmates
- Experience and learn for yourself many aspects of Beijing opera, including its style of stage combat, costumes, character types, singing, distinctive face-painting style, history and movements
- Make fun, Chinese-culture-themed arts and crafts
- Lunch is provided
- Show off your Beijing opera skills at an exciting final performance on the last day of camp
How to Apply
Our enrollment is limited, so please make sure to submit the application before May 16, 2014.To apply, please complete the following steps:
- Fill out and sign the complete application form (provided below).
- Students must write a personal statement of 300 words or less, explaining why they would like to participate in this camp. Please submit this with the rest of this application.
- Students must also submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher along with the application.
- Mail these documents to Laura Scott, Confucius Institute, Binghamton University, 4400 Vestal Parkway East, Binghamton, NY 13902-6000. Or, you may scan and email the documents to email@example.com.
APPLICATION FORM (.doc, 48 KB): Summer Camp Enrollment Application
The deadline to submit the application is May 16, 2014.
* PLEASE NOTE: "Sounds of China" is a day camp, not an overnight camp. We do not provide lodging or transportation to and from Binghamton University each day for participating students.
We will notify each applicant regarding enrollment status as soon as possible. If accepted, participants and their parents/guardians must sign a 1) Code of Conduct and 2) Media Release form, which will be sent to them.