Skip header content and main navigation Binghamton University, State University of New York - Counseling Old

How and When to Refer Students for Counseling

A Practical Guide for Staff and Faculty

Behavior Changes

Physical Changes

Personality Changes

"At Risk" Factors

Other Factors to Consider

What to Do

Make contact: Tell the student you need to see him or her; talk with the student in person.
Calmly express your concern; tell the student you are worried and why.

Some Possibilities

Be aware of your role and what you can do to help the student. For example, you can express your concern. You can listen and be supportive, help with decision-making and make referrals.

Be aware of your limitations. You are faculty/staff and you do not have to assume the role of counselor. You can let the student know that you care and will, therefore, make the referral to counseling.

You might escort the student to our office (Library North 1202) or call (607-777-2772).

Other Resources

Emergency Transportation

  • Harpur's Ferry Ambulance Service: 607-777-3579

Medical Services

Counseling Services

Law Enforcement

  • NYS University Police: 607-777-2393 or 911 (campus phone)
  • Town of Vestal Police: 607-754-2111
  • City of Binghamton Police: 607-723-5321
  • Village of Johnson City Police: 607-729-9321

Other Campus Services

  • Dean of Students: 607-777-2804
  • Ombudsman: 607-777-2388
  • Student Conduct: 607-777-6210
  • Services for Students with Disabilities: 607-777-2686

Community Services

Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 8/13/14