Items of Interest
Drink now, pay later?
Faculty Spotlights: Linda Spear
Do I Drink Too Much?
BBC interview with Dr. Linda Spear
Wine During Pregnancy: Potential Risks
Recently funded grants
Linda Spear - Impact of adolescent intermittent ethanol on adult social reward and anxiety. U01
Linda Spear - Developmental exposure alcohol research center. P50 Faculty members - Upstate: Rick Matthews, Frank Middleton, Steve Youngentob. Binghamton: Michael Nihznikov, Linda Spear, Norman Spear, Elena Varlinskaya. Cortland: Dave Berger, John Lombardo. Maryland: Sandra Mooney.
Steven Youngentob - Fetal nicotine exposure and chemosensory plasticity. R21
Sandra Mooney - Effects of developmental ethanol exposure on brain development. R01
Rick Matthews - The role of RPTPzeta in models of congenital muscular dystrophies. R01
News & Events
Festschrift in Honor of Dr. Norman “Skip” Spear
Friday, May 30, 2014
The DEARC is happy to announce that Dr. Sandra Mooney was recently elected to the Advisory Board for the Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Study Group.
37th Annual RSA Scientific Meeting
June 21-25, 2014
2nd Annual Flux Congress
September 11-13, 2014
The Flux Congress acts as a forum for developmental cognitive neuroscientists and psychologists to share their findings, expand their knowledge base, and be informed of translational approaches. This conference is designed for scientists who use neuroimaging techniques to understand age related changes in brain function and structure.
Click images to see larger image
Recent Publications from DEARC members
- Ethanol-induced locomotor activity in adolescent rats and the relationship with ethanol-induced conditioned place preference and conditioned taste aversion. Acevedo MB, Nizhnikov ME, Spear NE, Molina JC, Pautassi RM Dev Psychobiol Epub May 16 2012
- Early maternal separation affects ethanol-induced conditioning in a nor-BNI insensitive manner, but does not alter ethanol-induced locomotor activity. Pautassi RM, Nizhnikov ME, Fabio MC, Spear NE. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 100(3): 630-638, 2012.
- Ethanol-mediated appetitive conditioning in infant rats, but not corticosterone release, is dependent on route of ethanol administration. Pautassi RM, Nizhnikov ME, Spear NE. Dev Psychobiol 54(1): 98-104, 2012.
- Prenatal ethanol exposure leads to greater ethanol-induced appetitive reinforcement. Pautassi RM, Nizhnikov ME, Spear NE, Molina JC. Alcohol 46(6): 585-593, 2012.
- Mianserin, but not ondansetron, reduces the locomotor stimulating effect of ethanol in preweanling rats. Arias C and Spear NE. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 100(1): 81-85, 2011 (.pdf, 643kb)
- Hierarchical clustering of gene expression patterns in the Eomes + lineage of excitatory neurons during early neocortical development. Cameron DA, Middleton FA, Chenn A, Olson EC. BMC Neurosci 13(1): 90, 2012.
- Fetal ethanol exposure attenuates aversive oral effects of TrpV1, but not TrpA1 agonists in rats. Glendinning JI, Simons YM, Youngentob L, Youngentob SL. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 237(3): 236-240, 2012. (.pdf, 905kb)
- Evaluation of cell proliferation, apoptosis, and dna-repair genes as potential biomarkers for ethanol-induced cns alterations. Hicks SD, Lewis L, Ritchie J, Burke P, Abdul-Malak Y, Adackpara N, Canfield K, Shwarts E, Gentile K, Meszaros ZS, Middleton FA. BMC Neurosci 13(1): 128, 2012. (.pdf, 1.9mb)
- Mu-opioid blockade reduces ethanol effects on intake and behavior of the infant rat during short-term but not long-term social isolation. Kozlov AP, Nizhnikov ME, Kramskaya TA, Varlinskaya EI, Spear NE. Pharmacol Biochem Behav Epub Nov, 2012.
The role of social isolation in ethanol effects on the preweanling rat. Kozlov AP, Nizhnikov ME, Varlinskaya EI, Spear NE. Behav Brain Res 227(1): 43-57, 2012.(.pdf, 2.6mb)
- Accuracy of self-reported medical problems in patients with alcohol dependence and co-occurring schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Meszaros ZS, Dimmock JA, Ploutz-Snyder R, Chauhan SV, Abdul-Malak Y, Middleton FA, and Batki SL. Schizophr Res 132(2-3): 190-193, 2012. (.pdf, 303kb)
- Molecular substrates of social avoidance seen following prenatal ethanol exposure and its reversal by social enrichment. Middleton FA, Varlinskaya EI, Mooney SM. Dev Neurosci 34(2-3): 115-128, 2012.
- Behavioral and molecular effects of acute prenatal exposure to ethanol are altered by social enrichment. Middleton FA, Varlinskaya EI, Mooney SM. Alcohol Clin Exp Res Supplement, 2012.
- Naloxone attenuation of ethanol-reinforced operant responding in infant rats in a re-exposure paradigm. Miranda-Morales RS, Molina JC, Spear NE, Abate P. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 219(1): 235-246, 2012.
- Early role of the kappa opioid receptor in ethanol-induced reinforcement. Pautassi RM, Nizhnikov ME, Acevedo MB, Spear NE. Physiol Behav 105(5): 1231-1241, 2012.
Acute prenatal exposure to ethanol and social behavior: effects of age, sex, and timing of exposure. Mooney SM, Varlinskaya EI. Behav Brain Res 216(1): 358-364, 2011. (.pdf, 610kb)
- Ontogenetic differences in ethanol's motivational properties during infancy. Nizhnikov ME, Pautassi RM, Varlinskaya EI, Rahmani P, Spear NE. Alcohol 46(3): 225-234, 2012.
Ethanol induces second-order aversive conditioning in adolescent and adult rats. Pautassi RM, Myers M, Spear LP, Molina JC, Spear NE. Alcohol 45(1): 45-55, 2011. (.pdf, 422kb)
- Naloxone blocks ethanol-mediated appetitive conditioning and locomotor activation in adolescent rats. Pautassi RM, Nizhnikov ME, Acevedo MB, Spear NE. Behav Brain Res 216(1): 262-269, 2011. (.pdf, 94kb)
- An acetaldehyde-sequestering agent inhibits appetitive reinforcement and behavioral stimulation induced by ethanol in preweanling rats. Pautassi RM, Nizhnikov ME, Fabio MC, Spear NE. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 97(3): 462-469, 2011. (.pdf, 352kb)
- Ontogeny of ethanol intake in alcohol preferring (P) and alcohol nonpreferring (NP) rats. Pautassi RM, Nizhnikov ME, Truxell E, Varlinskaya EI, Spear NE. Dev Psychobiol 53(3): 234-245, 2011. (.pdf, 1.2mb)
- Maternal care alterations induced by repeated ethanol leads to heightened consumption of the drug and motor impairment during adolescence: a dose-response analysis. Ponce LF, Pautassi RM, Spear NE, Molina JC. Physiol Behav 103(5): 477-486, 2011.
- Ethanol-induced disruption of Golgi apparatus morphology, primary neurite number and cellular orientation in developing cortical neurons. Powrozek TA, Olson EC. Alcohol 46(7): 619-627, 2012.
- Prenatal and postnatal ethanol experiences modulate consumption of the drug in rat pups, without impairment in the granular cell layer of the main olfactory bulb. Pueta M, Rovasio RA, Abate P, Spear NE, Molina JC. Physiol Behav 102(1): 63-75, 2011. (.pdf, 2.2mb)
- Effect of the selective NMDA NR2B antagonist, ifenprodil, on acute tolerance to ethanol-induced motor impairment in adolescent and adult rats. Ramirez RL, Varlinskaya EI, Spear LP. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35(6): 1149-1159, 2011. (.pdf, 479kb)
- Rewards, aversions and affect in adolescence: emerging convergences across laboratory animal and human data. Spear LP. Dev Cogn Neurosci 1(4): 392-400, 2011. (.pdf, 345kb)
- Social context induces two unique patterns of c-Fos expression in adolescent and adult rats. Varlinskaya EI, Vogt BA, Spear LP. Dev Psychobiol, Epub 2012.
- Gestational naltrexone ameliorates fetal ethanol exposures enhancing effect on the postnatal behavioral and neural response to ethanol. Youngentob SL, Kent PF, Youngentob LM. Exp Biol Med (Maywood), Epub October 2012. (.pdf, 558kb)
- Fast dopamine release events in the nucleus accumbens of early adolescent rats. Robinson DL, Zitzman DL, Smith KJ, Spear LP. Neuroscience 176:296-307, 2011. (.pdf, 230kb)
- Ethanol induces second-order aversive conditioning in adolescent and adult rats. Pautassi RM, Myers M, Spear LP, Molina JC, Spear NE. Alcohol 45:45-55, 2011. (.pdf, 409kb)
- Chronic intermittent ethanol exposure in early adolescent and adult male rats: effects on tolerance, social behavior, and ethanol intake. Broadwater M, Varlinskaya EI, Spear LP. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:1392-1403, 2011. (.pdf, 1.4mb)
- Repeated restraint stress alters sensitivity to the social consequences of ethanol in adolescent and adult rats. Varlinskaya EI, Doremus-Fitzwater TL, Spear LP. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 96:228-235, 2010. (.pdf, 2.1mb)
- Ontogeny of ethanol-induced motor impairment following acute ethanol: assessment via the negative geotaxis reflex in adolescent and adult rats. Ramirez RL, Spear LP. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 95:242-248, 2010. (.pdf, 510kb)
- Age-related differences in amphetamine sensitization: effects of prior drug or stress history on stimulant sensitization in juvenile and adult rats. Doremus-Fitzwater TL, Spear LP. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 96:198-205, 2010.
- Early attachment-figure separation and increased risk for later depression: potential mediation by proinflammatory processes. Hennessy MB, Deak T, Schiml-Webb PA. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 34:782-790, 2010.
- Reelin promotes neuronal orientation and dendritogenesis during preplate splitting. Nichols AJ, Olson EC. Cereb Cortex. 20:2213-2223, 2010. (.pdf, 3.1mb)
- Long descending cervical propriospinal neurons differ from thoracic propriospinal neurons in response to low thoracic spinal injury. Siebert JR, Middleton FA, Stelzner DJ. BMC Neuroscience 11:148-165, 2010. (.pdf, 2.2mb)
- A comparison between taste avoidance and conditioned disgust reactions induced by ethanol and lithium chloride in preweanling rats. Arias C, Pautassi RM, Molina JC, Spear NE. Dev Psychobiol 52:545-557, 2010.
- Participation of the endogenous opioid system in the acquisition of a prenatal ethanol-related memory: effects on neonatal and preweanling responsiveness to ethanol. Morales RS, Molina JC, Spear NE, Abate P. Physiol Behav 10:153-160, 2010. (.pdf, 93kb)
- High ethanol dose during early adolescence induces locomotor activation and increases subsequent ethanol intake during late adolescence. Acevedo MB, Molina JC, Nizhnikov ME, Spear NE, Pautassi RM. Dev Psychobiol 52:424-440, 2010. (.pdf, 841kb)
- Mere odor exposure learning in the rat neonate immediately after birth and 1 day later. Miller SS, Spear NE. Dev Psychobiol 52:343-351, 2010.
- Differential role of micro, delta and kappa opioid receptors in ethanol-mediated locomotor activation and ethanol intake in preweanling rats. Arias C, Molina JC, Spear NE. Physiol Behav 99:348-354, 2010.
- Sensitivity to ethanol and other hedonic stimuli in an animal model of adolescence: implications for prevention science? Varlinskaya EI, Spear LP. Dev Psychobiol 52:236-243, 2010.
- Motivational systems in adolescence: possible implications for age differences in substance abuse and other risk-taking behaviors. Doremus-Fitzwater TL, Varlinskaya EI, Spear LP. Brain Cogn 72:114-123, 2010.
- Sensitization to social anxiolytic effects of ethanol in adolescent and adult Sprague-Dawley rats after repeated ethanol exposure. Varlinskaya EI, Spear LP. Alcohol 44:99-110, 2010. (.pdf, 49kb)
- Identification of stage specific gene modulation during early thymocyte development by whole genome profiling analysis following Aryl hydrocarbon receptor activation. Laiosa MD, Mills JH, Lai Z-W, Singh KP, Middleton FA, Gasiewicz TA, Silverstone AE. Mol Pharmacol 77:773-783, 2010.