Mary Ann Swain
Professor and Director, Doctoral Program
Decker School of Nursing
DSON Phone: (607) 777-6144
CCPA Phone: (607) 777-9218
Dr. Mary Ann Swain (Professor) has many years of experience in higher education administration including having served as Binghamton University's Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs for almost 20 years. Dr. Swain serves as Chair of the Department of Student Affairs Administration and holds a tenured appointment in the Decker School of Nursing where she is also Director of the Doctoral (PhD in Nursing) Program. Her research interests focus on health development across the entire life-cycle and the interrelationships among life stressors, healthy development, and illness. In addition, she looks at how to characterize and foster effective leadership in higher education. Dr. Swain possesses degrees from DePauw University (BS) and the University of Michigan where she received her PhD in Psychology.
- Ph.D., Developmental Psychology, University of Michigan
- M.A., Experimental Psychology, University of Michigan
- B.A., Psychology, DePauw University
- Department Chair, School of Nursing, University of Michigan
- Director of Affirmative Action, University of Michigan
- Interim Vice President for Student Affairs, University of Michigan
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Binghamton University
Family Theory, Research Methods, and Theory Development
Current Research Interests
Health promotion over the lifespan, Interactions among stressors, individual strengths, social support, & health, Adolescent and adult development, Leadership in higher education.