Forms, Links and FAQ


 Academic Dishonesty

For reporting a violation of the Academic Dishonesty Code.

Course Petition

Petition required when registering for a restricted HWS course.

DARS/Degree Works Exception

Students wishing to receive credit for completed courses to fulfill the HWS minor requirements that were taken outside the HWS Department.

Health and Wellness Minor Application Word format

Health and Wellness Minor Application PDF Format

Students wishing to minor in Health and Wellness Studies must complete an application and return it along with a personal statement and unofficial copy of their transcript to the HWS Main Office in the West Gym.

Independent Study, Internship or Teaching Assistant

Form for independent study, internship or teaching assistant (requires instructor signature).

Informed Consent

Waiver form needed for participation in any HWS activity class.

Medical History

Background form needed for participation in any HWS activity class.

Minor Admission and Completion Criteria

Minor Plan of Study

Planning sheet for students accepted into the HWS minor.

Pool Reservation

  • Internal and student organizations wishing to reserve the West Gym pool must submit the request a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the event to secure necessary staffing.
  • Each SA chartered organization, Fraternity or Sorority has 2 designated representatives who are authorized to reserve facilities on-campus each year. Reservation requests and all final arrangements will only be accepted from those individuals.
  • The completed form must be submitted to the Main Office of the West Gym or via e-mail to The organization will be notified one week by phone or e-mail the status of the request. If approved, the organization will be sent written confirmation of the request with any information pertinent to the event.
  • Reservations will not be accepted from any organization with an outstanding balance from a previous event with the West Gym or any other venue on campus.
  • Organizations are required to monitor who is using the facility reserved during the time frame of the event. For events that allow non-University people into the facility, the guest policy will be used and event staff may be hired depending on the nature of the event.
  • The organization assumes responsibility for maintaining the facility during the event. Failure to follow posted rules could result in cancellation of the event. Any damage or necessary clean-up will be billed to your organization.
  • Fees are as follows: Lifeguard $16.49/hour, Building Supervisor $15.00/hour. Please note that the number of lifeguards depends on number of participants.

Any questions regarding the reservation process can be directed to Lisa Hrehor at or via phone at (607) 777-6940.

Transportation Waiver

Used for off-campus, class-related outings.

Volunteer Form

Teaching assistants must complete a volunteer form.

back to top



NourishU is a Binghamton University initiative aimed at helping students live a healthier lifestyle. Headed by our campus dietitian, Alexa Schmidt, NourishU works to bring events and awareness programs to campus with the ultimate goal of improving the health and wellness of Binghamton students. A healthier you is a happier you, and today can be your first step in that direction!

Eating Awareness Committee

The EAC's mission is to provide education, outreach and resources to the campus and the community with regard to body image, eating disorders, nutrition and fitness.


  • Get your personalized nutrition and physical activity plan.
  • Track your foods and physical activities to see how they stack up.
  • Get tips and support to help you make healthier choices and plan ahead.

back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where are the HWS classes held?

A: The Department of Health and Wellness Studies offers a wide array of classes that take place indoors and outdoors. Many of our courses are held in the West Gym, but be sure to check your schedule and/or course syllabus for the exact location.

Q: Where are the instructors' offices located?

A: Our instructor offices are located in the West Gymnasium, which is adjacent to the Events Center and on your right as you enter the campus from Bartle Drive.

Q: I tried to register for a course, but the course is restricted. What do I do?

A:  Always review the course description to be sure you meet the minimum requirements for the course. If you meet the requirements, e-mail the instructor and explain the situation. Be sure to include as many details as possible (i.e., B number, contact information, etc.) 

Q: What is the $30 HWS fee?

A:   The $30 non-refundable HWS fee is charged to all courses with an activity component. Students taking an activity-based course are encouraged to use the locker/towel service provided in the West Gym.

Q: I am registered for more than one activity course in the same semester, will I be charged more than one $30 activity fee?

A:  No, you will only be charged one $30 activity fee per semester.

Q: I need an activity class to graduate this semester, but the classes are full. Can I petition into the class?

A:  Depending on your situation, you may be able to petition into the class. The best way to petition into a class after the class is full is to show up on the first day of class and speak directly with the instructor. 

Q: I am in the HWS minor and previously completed a course outside the Department of Health and Wellness Studies. I would like the course to count toward my minor requirements. Is this possible, and if so, what do I need to do?

A: Please complete the DARS exception form, attach the syllabus or course description for the course, and return it to the HSW Office in Room 5 of the West Gym. Processing time is approximately 2 weeks from the date received.


back to top

Last Updated: 9/9/16