Who can use the Employee Assistance Program?

EAP services are available to Binghamton University faculty, staff, graduate student employees, retirees and their family members. Anyone who receives a paycheck from Binghamton University is eligible for services through EAP. See About EAP for details.

What services does the Employee Assistance Program provide?

EAP provides individualized assessment and referral to community and professional resources. Some common reasons why University faculty, staff, graduate student employees, retirees and their dependents seek our help include:

  • Marital and family issues
  • Alcohol and substance abuse
  • Emotional health issues
  • Domestic violence
  • Grief and bereavement
  • Workplace stress
  • Legal problems
  • Financial problems
  • Childcare issues
  • Eldercare issues
  • Lifestyle and wellness coaching

In addition, EAP offers support for employees returning to work after an extended leave of absence, critical incident response, a lending library, noontime health and wellness programs, assistance for managers and supervisors dealing with employee or team issues, and seasonal flu immunization clinics.

Do I have to make an appointment or can I just drop in?

EAP uses an appointment-based system to ensure confidentiality, allow adequate time for a comprehensive needs assessment and provide equal access to services for all members of the University workforce and their dependents. Please make an appointment to visit with an EAP coordinator.

Is there a cost for EAP services?

Our assessment and referral services are provided free of charge to those eligible (see above). Whenever possible, we make referrals to community providers covered by your insurance.

There is no charge to take part in our special wellness programs or immunization clinics. Our lending library is also free.

What happens once I contact EAP?

While each situation is different, here is what typically happens when you call EAP to discuss or clarify a problem or issue.

  • We’ll make an appointment for you with an EAP coordinator. That appointment can be held in our office (LSG-673) or over the phone.
  • At the appointment, the EAP coordinator will work with you to clarify and assess your situation, talk with you about resource and referral options, recommend various plans of action, and make appropriate referrals.
  • It will then be up to you to contact the provider to whom you’ve been referred and make an appointment.
  • Your EAP coordinator will ask for a follow up contact or appointment with you to ensure you’re satisfied with the referral or to suggest an alternative course of action if appropriate.

See Access to Services for more information.

There are many different types of mental health providers. Can you explain the differences?

The NYS Office of the Professions governs licensing requirements for all mental health practitioners operating within the state. These include, but are not limited to, psychologists, clinical social workers, psychiatric nurse practitioners and psychiatrists. For descriptions and additional information on licensing standards please download the "Mental Health Practitioners Information Sheet" (.pdf, 75KB) and/or see Facts on Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists.

Is EAP confidential?

EAP services are confidential. No information will be placed in your employment record or can be released without your written permission. Learn more about our confidentiality policy.

Where is the EAP office?

Mary Ellen Niefer is located on the ground floor of the Library South building (LSG), in room 673. See Contact Us/Locations for details.

Last Updated: 10/17/16