The English Language Institute, in coordination with University Tutorial Services, has ESOL-trained tutors to assist all Binghamton University students who are non-native or multilingual students with their English-language skills.
The ELI Tutors are located in Old Champlain 314, and tutoring is offered by appointment Monday through Friday.
Undergraduate Tutor Appointments: ELI Center
To make an appointment with our undergraduate tutors at the ELI Tutoring Center,
Graduate Tutor Appointments: ELI Center
To make an appointment with our graduate tutor at the ELI Tutoring Center,
Rules & Policies
- Per UTS rules, you must cancel your appointment 12 hours in advance.
- Appointments cancelled with less than 12 hours notice will be counted as No Show appointments.
- Students with 8 cancellations, with or without appropriate notice, will lose ELI tutoring privileges for the semester. Excessive cancellation is an abuse of the system.
- We suggest 24 hours notice for all cancellations.
- 4 missed appointments (no show or cancellation with less than 12 hours notice) will result in loss of ELI tutoring privileges for the remaining semester.
- UTS may also suspend tutoring for other subjects.
- Students are allowed 2 hours a week per class of tutoring. For example, 2 hours for ELI 205 and 2 hours of ELI 210
- Students seeking self-study skills are allowed 2 hours of tutoring a week. This means if you do not have coursework you want assistance with, you have 2 hours of tutoring time to work on language skills.
- Students are allowed a total of 4 hours of tutoring per week.
- Students enrolled in 2 ELI courses who wish to add an additional hour for self-study skills (for a total of 5 hours) may do so with permission from the ELI Tutor Coordinator. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your current unofficial transcript to seek permission.
- Students may not make back-to-back or same-day appointments. Each hour must be on a separate day.
Apply to Become an ELI Tutor
To learn more about becoming an ELI Tutor, and to apply, CLICK HERE.
What Can the ELI Tutors Do For You?
The ELI tutors are trained to assist you with language and cultural issues that affect you as a students here at Binghamton University.
Some examples of things we help with are:
Understanding homework assignments: The class material may not be a problem, but knowing what the professor expects you to do can be. We can help you meet your professor's goals for assignments.
Understanding culturally bound materials: Maybe you are having difficulty with a reading because you are new to US culture. Perhaps a video presentation doesn't make sense because you're missing important information related to US history. We can give you the clues that will help you understand.
Writing assignments: Not only can we help you organize your ideas and format, but we can help find persistent grammar errors and practice sentence structure and punctuation issues with you.
Study skills: Your study habits may need some adjusting. Perhaps you need to schedule yourself more time for assignments. Maybe you're using the wrong reading approach. We can help you identify issues, and build new habits.
Providing resources: We know where to find practice materials and information to help you with your language skills.
Developing listening skills: Are you having trouble in lecture because your professor has an accent, speaks quickly, or you are overwhelmed by the amount of information? We can help you practice skills that will develop your listening and note-taking skills.
Practicing presentations: We can look over your presentations, listen to you practice, and give you tips to improve your presentations.
Pronunciation and conversation skills: You may just want someone to work on your pronunciation with you, or help you prepare for an interview. We can work with you and/or give you resources so you can work on your own.
Though an ELI tutor is not an expert in every field, we do understand the struggles of language learning and the difficulty of adapting to the US educational system. All ELI tutors at BU are empathetic, compassionate, and enthusiastic about helping you succeed. If we don't know the answer to your question, we will find it.
Corrine T. Spencer
ELI Tutor Coordinator
Old Champlain 313
ELI Office Information
Old Champlain 310
PO Box 6000
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000
Telephone: (607) 777-2320
ELI Office Hours
07:30 a.m. - 04:00 p.m.
(Closed for lunch)