Binghamton University Continuity Planning Tool
OverviewThe Binghamton University Continuity Planning Tool (B-READY) is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet designed to allow each campus office/department/division to develop a Continuity of Operation Plan (COOP). The tool is designed as an effort within individual departments to ensure continuity of their essential functions across a wide range of emergencies and events.
- Today's changing threat environment and recent emergencies have increased the need for COOP capabilities and plans.
- COOP planning is part of the fundamental mission of all SUNY campuses.
- COOP is a statewide initiative to ensure that all state agencies can continue to perform their essential functions under a broad range of circumstances.
- COOP is also "good business."
Continuity Planning Objectives
Each office/department shall . . .
- Be capable of implementing its COOP plans with and without warning.
- Have its COOP operational not later than 12 hours after activation.
- Be capable of maintaining sustained operations for up to 30 days.
- Include regularly scheduled testing, training, and exercising of personnel, equipment, systems, processes, and procedures used to support the agency during a COOP event.
- Provide for a regular risk analysis of current alternate operating facilities.
- Locate alternate facilities in areas where the ability to initiate, maintain, and terminate COOP is optimal.
- Take advantage of existing infrastructures and give consideration to other options, such as telecommuting, work-at-home, and shared facilities.
- Consider the distance of the alternate facility from the primary facility.
- Include development, maintenance, and review of COOP capabilities using a multi-year
strategy and program management plan.
Benefits of Continuity Planning:
- Anticipate events and necessary response actions.
- Adapt to sudden changes in the operational environment.
- Improve your performance through the identification of essential functions, work processes, and communications methods.
- Improve management controls by establishing measures for performance.
- Improve communication to support essential functions throughout the agency.