Avoiding violent situations
Inform your supervisor or University Police about any individuals deemed to be threatening or dangerous.
Eliminate opportunities for violence by:
- Alerting University Police
- Knowing your escape route
- Placing a barrier between yourself and the aggressor
- Using effective people / communication skills
- Having a second person with you.
Reacting to violent situations:
- Maintain eye contact and a positive posture to send out positive signals
- Do not touch or approach a person who may become violent
- Keep the person talking as you maintain a controlled, calm demeanor.
- Show concern yet maintain a safe distance; avoid being alone with the person.
- Call 911 (from a campus phone) or 777-2393 (from any phone) or have someone else contact University Police
To Report an Emergency:
- Dial 911 from any on-campus phone
- Dial (607) 777-2222 from any non-campus (cell) phone.
- Pick up any Blue Light phone located on university property