Undergraduate Frequently Asked Questions

What are your department hours?

The English Department is open from 8am-4:30pm Monday - Friday during the academic year.
Summer hours are 8am-4pm.

How do I contact an English instructor?

The best way to contact an instructor is by emailing them. If you do not know their email address you can search the online university directory or you can come into the English Department (LN 1149) and refer to the list of contact information for English Department instructors. The list contains email addresses, office locations, and office hours and it is updated each semester. The list is posted on the bulletin board to the right of the door to the main office.

How do I declare, change, or drop my major? 

Forms are available at the front desk in the English Department (LN 1149) or you can print the Declaration of Major form and bring it to the English Department.

What are the different English majors?

Note: You may declare only ONE major within a department.

  • English
  • English: Creative Writing
  • English: Rhetoric
  • English: Global Culture
  • English: Creative Writing & Global Culture
  • English: Rhetoric & Global Culture

Can you minor in English?

No. There is no English minor.

I need help with my writing. Is there any free academic help offered? 

The Writing Initiative is located in LN 2412, for writing help. You can also follow this link: http://www.binghamton.edu/harpur/students/index.html

How do I know who my advisor is?

There is a list of academic advisors and their office hours posted in the English Department LN 1149. You can see any advisor on the list. This list is updated each semester.

How do I know when my instructor has office hours? 

Office hours are posted in the English department LN 1149. This information is updated each semester.

I took an English course years ago and now I need an official course description. Is it possible for you to send me one?

Most likely. Please provide the instructor’s name, the course number, the course title, the semester and year. You can contact the Undergraduate Secretary, Donna Berg, at dmberg@binghamton.edu with your request.

The class that I want to take is full. How do I petition into the class? 

The English department is no longer accepting petitions to get into classes that are full.  Please continue to check the BU Brain.

Can I get into a class that has restrictions?

Please contact the instructor of the class in order to receive permission. Typically, the best way to contact instructors is by email.

I tried to register and it says I need departmental permission, what does this mean? 

It means there is a restriction on the course. Please contact the instructor of the class in order to receive permission. Typically, the best way to contact instructors is by email.

I am supposed to graduate, and haven’t fulfilled my requirements yet. What do I do? 

Print a copy of your DARS and go speak to an advisor immediately.

If I take two different courses in different semesters that both have the same course number and letter (ie. ENG 300N), will I get credit for both courses?

Yes, as long as they are different course titles.

Last Updated: 7/27/16