Corning Community College Transfer Planning Guide For students wishing to major in English
The English department at Binghamton University offers six majors (or "concentrations"). Students can choose from the following:
- Major in English Literature
- Major in English: Concentration in Global Culture
- Major in English: Concentration in Creative Writing
- Major in English: Concentration in Creative Writing and Global Culture
- Major in English: Concentration in Rhetoric
- Major in English: Concentration in Rhetoric and Global Culture
All of the six concentrations share four core requirements:
- One course in British Literature to 1660
- One course in British Literature 1660-1900
- One course in American Literature to 1920
- One course in literary theory and criticism
In addition, three of the six concentrations (English Literature, Creative Writing, and Rhetoric) require a Shakespeare course.
Most community colleges offer English Literature I and II courses that can fill the first two core requirements, as well as an American Literature I course to meet the third requirement. Most community colleges offer a Shakespeare course to meet the Shakespeare requirement, and some also offer a literary theory course for the theory requirement.
The three concentrations focusing on Global Culture share additional core requirements
(Binghamton courses fulfilling these requirements are listed on the department's website):
- One course in Globalization and Culture
- One course on Contestations of Nation in Literature and Culture (CNLC)
- One course in Global Cultural Productions (GCP)
All six concentrations require English electives, most of which are upper-level (numbered 300 or above).
For further information on required courses and electives, see the English Major Checklist.
Corning Community College - English at Binghamton University p.2
Recommended Transfer Equivalencies from Corning Community College
- ENGL 2010: American Literature I (BU-ENG270: American Literature to 1920)
- ENGL 2310: English Literature I (BU-ENG227: British Literature I)
- ENGL 2320: English Literature II (BU-ENG228: British Literature II)
- ENGL 2330: Shakespeare (BU-ENG245: Shakespeare)
ENGL 2480 or 2490, two creative writing courses, can substitute for BU's CW250: Fundamentals of Creative Writing. Numerous other 2000-level courses taken at Corning can be used as upper-level electives at BU. Other courses from Corning may be approved for transfer on a case-by-case basis. All transferred courses must have a letter grade of C- or better.
General Education and the Harpur College Writing Requirement
Numerous courses in the English major will help you complete the Humanities (H) requirement and the Composition (C), Oral Communication (O), or Joint Composition/Oral Communication (J) requirements. We recommend completing other General Education requirements before transferring to Binghamton.
While completing the English major you will automatically complete the Writing Requirement. Students may transfer in a maximum of one composition course (C) and two writing (W) courses.
If you have any questions about the English major, please contact:
Please note: This transfer guide outlines a plan of study that allows for efficient completion of the bachelor's degree program with full recognition of transfer credit equivalencies. Admission to Binghamton University is very competitive and satisfactory completion of equivalent courses or an associates degree is not a guarantee of admission.