Experiential Education Teaching Methods
There are a variety of experiential teaching methods used at Binghamton University. Contact these resource people on campus as you research using new teaching methods in your courses:
- Simulations – Pat Regan, Political Science
- Community Based Research – Allison Alden, MPA
- Visual Journals – Jim Stark, Art
- Web Pages – Jim Wolf, Computer Center
Resources on Campus
Resources on Experiential Education at Binghamton University
To borrow these resources contact: Meg Mitzel, Experiential Education Coordinator 777-2400 email@example.com
- American Association for Higher Education’s Series on Service-Learning in the Disciplines, 2000. A Book on each of the following disciplines:
- Assessing Service-Learning and Civic Engagement Principles and Techniques by Sherril B. Gelmon, Barbara A. Holland, Amy Driscoll, Amy Spring, Seanna Kerrigan, 2001
- At a Glance: What We Know About The Effects of Service-Learning on College Students, Faculty, Institutions and Communities, 1993-2000: Third Edition by Janet S. Eyler, Dwight E. Giles, Jr., Christine M. Stenson and Charlene J. Gray, 2001
- The Best of Co-op A Guide to the Best Co-op Colleges and Corporations, National Commission for Cooperative Education 2003-2004
- Civic Engagement Across the Curriculum A Resource Book for Service-Learning Faculty in all Disciplines by Richard M. Battistoni, 2002.
- Deconstructing Service-Learning Research Exploring Context, Participation, and Impacts, edited by Shelly Billig & Janet Eyler, 2003
- Education for Civic Engagement in Democracy Service Learning and Other Promising Practices, Edited by Sheilah Mann and John J. Patrick, 2000
- Education in Overdrive, The Management of Cooperative Education and Internships by Peter V. Young and Jennifer M. Young, 1995
- The Engaged Department Toolkit by Richard Battistoni, Sherril B. Gelmon, John Saltmarsh, Jon Wergin, Edward Zlotkowski, 2003.
- Expanding Boundaries, Expanding Civic Responsibilities within Higher Education, Corporation for National Service, 1997.
- Fundamentals of Service Learning Course Construction, by Kerrissa Heffernan, 2001
- Foundations of Experiential Education, NSEE article, 1997.
- The Internship as Partnership, A Handbook for Campus-Based Coordinators and Advisors, by Robert P. Inkster and Roseanna G. Ross, 1995.
- Introduction of Service-Learning Toolkit, Readings and Resources for Faculty, Campus Compact, 2003
- A Practical Guide for Integrating Civic Responsibility into the Curriculum edited by Karla Gottlieb and Gail Robinson, 2002.
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Reflection in Service-Learning by Eyler, Giles and Schmiede, 1996
- Rethinking Tradition: Integrating Service with Academic Study on College Campuses, Tamar Y. Kupiec, Editor, 1993.
- Service-Learning Course Design Workbook, Michigan Journal of Community Service-Learning, 2001
- Service-Learning From Classroom to Career by Marie Watkins and Linda Braun, 2005.
- Service-Learning From Classroom to Career, Instructor’s Manual by Marie Watkins and Linda Braun, 2005.
- Service-Learning in Higher Education, Concepts and Practices by Barbara Jacoby and Associates, 1996
- Service-Learning The Essence of Pedagogy, edited by Andrew Furco & Shelley H. Billig, 2002.
- Service-Learning Reader: Reflections and Perspectives on Service, Albert Editor.
- Service Learning Research to Advance the Field, edited by Marshall Welch and Shelley H. Billig, 2004.
- Service-Learning Through a Multidisciplinary Lens, edited by Shelly Billig & Andrew Furco, 2002
- Strengthening Experiential Education within your Institution, National Society for Internships and Experiential Education, 1986.
Check out these sample forms from Off Campus College for their internship program.
Many departments on campus have guidelines for internships for credit, contact the undergraduate program director to review additional guidelines.