College Students and Parents: What You Need to Know About the 2017-2018 FAFSA
IMPORTANT FAFSA FILING NEWS FOR 2017-2018
The 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be available beginning October 1, 2016.
- The recommended filing date for new incoming students applying for financial aid for Summer/Fall/Spring 2017-2018 is January 1st, 2017.
- The recommended filing date for returning students applying for financial aid for Summer/Fall/Spring 2017-2018 is April 1st, 2017.
Click here for more information about this important filing change!
Use the irs data retrieval tool!
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool transfers data from the tax return to the FAFSA, and can be done for the student and parent tax data directly through the FAFSA application.
For more information about these changes, download your 2017-2018 fact sheet here.
2016-2017 Federal loan interest rates
Federal loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2016:
- Undergraduate Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans: 3.76%
- Graduate Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: 5.31%
- Parent PLUS and Graduate PLUS Loans: 6.31%
NYS Tuition assistance program (tap) application
The 2017-2018 TAP application will be available on October 1st, and students will continue to be directed to complete their TAP application after completing their FAFSA.
2017-2018 stem applications
Students may apply for the STEM program on October 1st. For more information about STEM and the program requirements, click here.