John W. Frazier
ProfessorRoom: SW-212APhone: 607-777-6179E-mail: email@example.com
Education: PhD, Kent State University, 1976
- National Councilor, American Geographical Society
- Director, Binghamton University GIS Core Facility
- Founder and Co-Director, "Race/Ethnicity and Place" Conferences
- Urban Geography
- Multicultural Geography
- Research and Writing
- Applied Geography
- Race/Ethnicity Studies
Recent projects/research undertaken:
- Aging populations of Broome County, NY
- Changing racial/ethnic patterns in Binghamton, NY and Allentown, PA
- Asian geographies/Black geographies/Foreign-born migration in the U.S.
Recent grants and contracts :
- 2004-2006 Received funding for three graduate students in GIS Core Facility from a number of sources,including anthropologist, Randy McGuire’s, and political scientist, Davis Cingranelli’s NSF grants(approximately $23,000).
- 2004-2005 “Crime Analysis Mapping Project” for Broome County, NY under State of NY Grant to Selected Communities,$23,000(with K. Heard, GIS CoreFacility and Luke Willis, Geography Department.)
- 2004-2005 “ An Analysis of the Locations and Budget Impacts of Binghamton University Students on Broome County, New York,”$20,000, Vice President for Finance andTransportation Committee. (with Mark Reisinger, Geography Department)(Although not shown below, I have conducted this type of analysis on a funded basis several times since 1978).
- 2004-2005 External funding for GIS Core Facility for GIS-based “Broome Count Atlas Project’ and internal funding for a scholarship-internship for Geography major, James DeVona (total $10,500).
- 2002-04 “ Aging Futures in Broome County, New York,” (with Lucius Willis), $20,000(One of 12 national grants for community partnerships on aging analysis,ours is part of a larger grant awarded to Broome County, N. Y.).
Recognition and awards:
- 2010 Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Faculty Service
- 2006 Binghamton University EOP Faculty Award for Support of EOP Programs and Principles
- 2005 Elected to Ethnic Geography Specialty Group Board of Directors
- 2003 National Councillor, American Geographical Society
- 2002 National Academy of Sciences Committee Appointment
- 1994 Anderson Medal for Career Distinction in Applied Geography (AAG)
- Race, Ethnicity and Place in a Changing America, (editor, with E. L. Tettey-Fio), Binghamton, NY: Global Academic Publishing, 2006.(I am the author or co-author of five chapters and the senior editor.)
- The New South in Perspective: Observations and Commentary, in H. A. Smith and O. J. Furuseth, Latinos and the Transformation of the South,(with M.E. Reisinger. 2006. Burlington, Vt.: Ashgate Press, pp. 257-283.
- Licensing Geographic Data and Services, Washington, D. C.: National Research Council, 2004.(I am one of a number of contributors from the National research Council’s LGDS Committe and thebook was not published by chapter authors)
- "A Perspective on 20th Century North American Applied Geography". in International Applied Geography, L. Gibson and A. Bailly, editors. (forthcoming, 2004).
- Multicultural Geographies: The Changing Racial/Ethnic Patterns of the United States, with F.M. Margai. Binghamton, NY: Global Academic Publishing, 2003.(I am the co-editor of the volume and author or co-author of 5 chapters.)
- Race and Place: Equity Issues in Urban America. (with F.M. Margai and E. L. Tettey-fio), Westview Press, 2003.