Graduate Fellowships

In addition to teaching and research assistantships, new graduate students in Geological Sciences may ask to be considered for the following graduate fellowships:

  • Clark Fellowships for Underrepresented Minorities - Funded by SUNY, these fellowships for new graduate students are selected through a Binghamton University-wide competition. Fellows must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and must be either Native American, African American, or Hispanic American. Stipends are the same as departmental research or teaching assistantships (approximately $8-10K for Fall 2001).

All fellowships carry full tuition waivers.

Other Grants and Fellowships

Students may also apply for individual grants or fellowships to support their graduate educational costs. Among possible opportunities are:

  • The American Association of Petroleum Geologists Foundation Grants in Aid Program - for geoscience graduate students whose research has application to the search for and development of petroleum and energy-mineral resources, and/or related environmental geology issues. Grants range from $500 to $2000, and are applied to expenses related to the student's thesis work such as fieldwork, lab analyses, etc. As part of AAPG's Eastern Section, geoscience graduate students at SUNY are qualified to apply for the Richard W. Beardsley Named Grant. The Beardsley Grant is restricted to a student studying petroleum geology in the AAPG Eastern Section or studying the petroleum geology of the Eastern Section region. All applicants who qualify will be applying for the unrestricted grants totaling over $130,200.
  • National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships - These are highly competitive grants which fund 3 years of graduate education at a stipend level of $30,000 per year, with additional funds for research support and international travel. Fellowships are intended for individuals in the early stages of their graduate study. In most cases, an individual has three opportunities to apply: during the senior year of college, prior to or during the first year of graduate school, and at the beginning of the second year of graduate school.

For further information, contact Bill MacDonald, the Director of Graduate Studies.

Last Updated: 1/7/15