Jeffrey S. Barker
Associate Professor of Geophysics
PhD (1984) Pennsylvania State University
Geology office: Science 1, G-60C; (607) 777-2522
Dickinson Community office: (607) 777-2826
Research Interests: Seismology
- Amplification of earthquake ground motion due to 3-D topography and subsurface structure.
- Array analysis to identify off-azimuth arrivals, recently applied to data recorded in Mexico City.
- Boundary Element modeling making use of large matrix inversion techniques and parallel processing.
- Earthquake source modeling through moment tensor inversion.
- Regional seismic wave propagation and ground-motion attenuation.
Shallow environmental geophysics.
- GEOL 114 - The Earth's Dynamic Interior - a General Education lab science course on how the Earth works, from the inside out.
- GEOL 214 - Interior of the Earth - a core course for Geology majors.
- GEOL 453/553 - Environmental Geophysics - a student-centered, field intensive course in the use of shallow geophysical methods for determining subsurface structure.
- GEOL 552 - Theoretical Seismology - an advanced graduate course, offered irregularly, sometimes via distance learning.
- Graduate Seminars in Geophysics and Seismology (past topics have included: time-series analysis, inverse theory, earthquake engineering, seismotectonics)
Other Educational Activities:
- Faculty Master, Dickinson Community, Binghamton University, 2008-present.
- Chair, Advising/Mentoring Network Implementation Team, 2011-present.
- Steering Committee, Institute for Student-Centered Learning (ISCL), Binghamton University. Chair 2005-2008.
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2004.
- Workshops on Earthquakes and Plate Tectonics for school teachers and college professors, sponsored by IRIS (Incorporated Research Institutions in Seismology) and as part of the Big Ideas in Science Institute (BISI).
- Summer science day camps for school students through the "Kids Explore" program.
- Co-PI on an NSF GK-12 project placing Graduate Teaching Fellows in elementary classrooms in the Binghamton School District.